Is she finally done? Blown Head Gasket Advice.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Is she finally done? Blown Head Gasket Advice..

So I finally found my problem with the misfire I had had off and on over the last few months, 6/7 days it runs fine then the that one day its dog crap and usually when its cold. Drove a tank and a half today due to the new x pipe I got on it yesturday and it really made it even more enjoyable to drive. Drive was good until the end. Pulled it in thinking oh god what is it this time with another misfire and the first thing I always check since its easy is the oil, open the cap and there it is.. A very SMALL trace of milky like fluid.. Dipstick looks like watery oil. So now what?
1.Should I rebuild it?
2.Should I drop a new engine in it? 5.0 swap it or hell save money and put another 2v in it or maybe a 4v like the cobras and machs. Maybe 5.4 swap?
3.budget is small, hopefully between 2-5k.
4. new car but its gonna be hard since im 18 and dont have credit
Also every since buying the car at 100k it was very well maintained. Was running at 140k now btw, so I dont see why it failed, coolant flushed and changed every 20k, engine oil changed every 5k (ran royal purple synthetic 5w-30), never any leaks or problems like overheating with the motor so this was a complete shock to me. Still in complete shock as now college starts back up next monday so I need to get this done ASAP.
If anybody has gone threw this or has advice and would like to share please feel free to comment below. Could defiantly use it.
lyonschoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
$5k will not get you a Coyote swap if you mean Coyote by 5.0. Not even close. If you mean older pushrod, you'd need an entire donor car and its not worth it at all.

You could do a 4V for $5k if you know what you are doing. TBTH, I'd go get a 04+ 2V pullout from a JY with low miles and do a direct swap. I paid $575 for a 2005 Grand Marquis 2V delivered to my door with 39k miles on it. Strip it down to the shortblock, move all your Mustang specific stuff over to it and drop it right back in. The plastic intake will likely need to be replaced because of age regardless of miles, they all warp under the tstat housing over time even with the metal crossover. Intakes and gaskets are $300 or so.

Also install Energy suspension poly engine mounts while its out and if you have any spare $$ leftover you might look into a few other bolt ons while everything is apart but definitely just a direct 2V replacement from a JY.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Replace the head gaskets and all of the timing components (chains, tensioners, guides), and then drive the car for another 140k.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

That too... Probably would be easier to pull the whole engine and trans out than to pull the heads with the motor in the car.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok yeah I realized it's not possible with the coyote swap. I'm taking apart the engine this weekend and I'll see what I got to deal with. I think I caught it early before it caused any damage. Hopefully pistons, the walls, rods and heads are alright

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well if you can get it busted down and it is the head gasket and that's all it is and the rest is fine, get some Fel Pros from Autozone and put it right back together. Maybe do the cam tensioners while its all out.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that would be great if it was just the head gasket but I highly doubt that'll be the only issue. Doing a compression test tomorrow and pulling the upper half off the examine any damage.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Good Luck on your decision. Keep us informed as "INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW", send pictures for those of us who can't read!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
There is very little downside to replacing head gaskets, just intake, exhaust, head gaskets and change the fluids and filter.
If you stop there and don't go further into the motor, you will have repaired the problem and the motor will run the same as it did before (on the good days). If you hsve access to tools, this is something the average person can do.remember, your not changing any motor parts, just gaskets and fluids. Everything goes back on the way it came off bolt pattern and torque is the only setting you will need to know.
Kelleniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelleniz View Post
There is very little downside to replacing head gaskets, just intake, exhaust, head gaskets and change the fluids and filter.
If you stop there and don't go further into the motor, you will have repaired the problem and the motor will run the same as it did before (on the good days). If you hsve access to tools, this is something the average person can do.remember, your not changing any motor parts, just gaskets and fluids. Everything goes back on the way it came off bolt pattern and torque is the only setting you will need to know.
He will need new bolts for the heads. The factory bolts are a one time use TTY bolt.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Is she finally done? Blown Head Gasket Advice..

So I didn't end up taking it apart and doing the compression test. Had to work too much and didn't have the time this weekend. So I sent it to a professional today to look at it before I started any work on it, thought it may be a good idea since they don't charge anything just to look at it. He said it was just the heater hose and too change out the oil and coolant. Also said compression was good all around. Got a new hose, changed the oil and flushed out the coolant and now it's running good. Not sure how the heater hose caused the mixture of coolant and oil... But i also have a gut feeling that may have not been the issue and it'll be back soon.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

You could be leaking oil into the cylinders via a bad intake manifold gasket as well. And the plastic intakes all start to warp over time under the tstat housing as well. If you do need to change the gasket, look at the plastic portion that the metal crossover attaches to on the driver's side. 90% of the time if its an original intake at this age it will be warped and you need to replace the whole intake.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You could be leaking oil into the cylinders via a bad intake manifold gasket as well. And the plastic intakes all start to warp over time under the tstat housing as well. If you do need to change the gasket, look at the plastic portion that the metal crossover attaches to on the driver's side. 90% of the time if its an original intake at this age it will be warped and you need to replace the whole intake.

That's very interesting because he did mention that I was 2 quarts low on oil as well. Felt about right when draining the oil as it wasn't as much as usual and didn't take as long. I think I'll take a look at that tommorow. Other than leaks around the manifold is there any other way to tell if it's leaking oil threw there without taking it apart. Low on time for the next few days

Old 01-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Not really. If there is oil in your coolant its either getting in through the HG or intake gasket.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT