Where to go next - Page 11 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #351
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Yes a first start video would be great!
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #352
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Knocked a lot of the to do list today, got the transmission filled with fluid, got the shifter back on, got the pcv and catch can plumbed, got the wires in the fender tucked up, got the block ground wired up, wiper and wiper cowl on.

So now the to do list is:
-install hood
-install bumper
-install inner fenders
-hook up o2's (came in today)
-finish hooking up the last 2 sensors for the trans harness
-vacuum fill with coolant
-install the injector adapters/plug in injectors
-load tune onto the car

A lot of that list can be done very quickly, hopefully the injector adapters get here Monday.

Also here is how I plumbed the pcv/catch can
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1461964787.385685.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	200441
The clear hose is coming from the passenger valve cover off of the PCV valve, it T's in with the elbow off of the drivers valve cover and goes into the catch can, one hose comes off the catch can and back into the intake tube Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1461964859.952050.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	200442

Not sure if you all remember that my bumper got ripped off when a student at the school was helping me tow my car but my oem termi bumper was in piecesClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1461964909.145037.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	200443

The auto body students at school fixed it for me and painted the hood for 200$ and the bumper turned out amazing compared to what it wasClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1461964959.339106.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	200444

04 GT: CAI, 3.73's, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, Ported/Polished heads, Manley dished/notched pistons, MMR forged H beam rods, FRPP forged crank, BBK 75mm throttle body, MSD coils, 60lb EV6 injectors, Eddy Vic Jr intake, UPR coilovers in front, Steeda lowering springs in rear, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates, UPR k member, 355lph walbro pump, MMR 8qt oil pan, ARP hardware, EGR delete, A/C delete, ABS delete, EVAP delete.

Honda weight with an American V8
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #353
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
**** man that looks amazing. I've been kicking around the Termi front after I get mine running too. I hate the GT and the 01 is too damn expensive.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #354
Registered Member
Regular

I know i'm just being dumb and probably too hard on myself but I can't help but be nervous about the first start up, I have this bad feeling it's going to start then I will hear a bunch of knocking and clanging then oil just spills out on the floor.

but on the other hand I felt like I've been pretty meticulous and did everything right.

I guess we will see next week
Old 04-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #355
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I know what you mean. But trust yourself and your instructors. It seems everything has gone smoothly and pretty routine so far. Doubting yourself leads to simple mistakes. That's when the oil spills on the floor. Try building a multi-million dollar jet engine and test running it.

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #356
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm the same way. I feel like it's going to blow up every time I do an initial start.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:11 AM   #357
Registered Member
Regular

Hey. Just curious. How did you fix that fitting problem for the vacuum lines. You said that intake didn't have the fitting for it so you got a brass fitting. You just tapped the fitting into the intake?

And great progress. I too am waiting for that start up video 😈 lol.
phillip433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #358
Registered Member
Regular

The intake already had the hole tapped into it, so I got a brass fitting, threaded that in, then got the factory rubber vac line piece that brings the 2 vac lines into the intake like on the stock intake, then just slipped it over the brass fitting and was good to go

04 GT: CAI, 3.73's, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, Ported/Polished heads, Manley dished/notched pistons, MMR forged H beam rods, FRPP forged crank, BBK 75mm throttle body, MSD coils, 60lb EV6 injectors, Eddy Vic Jr intake, UPR coilovers in front, Steeda lowering springs in rear, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates, UPR k member, 355lph walbro pump, MMR 8qt oil pan, ARP hardware, EGR delete, A/C delete, ABS delete, EVAP delete.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #359
Registered Member
Regular

Knocked the list down a lot today.

Got the exhaust welded back up

Extended and hooked up the o2's

Bled the brakes so I actually have a pedal now

Got the last 2 sensors on the trans harness plugged up

Got the hood and hood struts on but it won't close, it's hitting the CAI tube so I gotta mess with it a little tomorrow

Got the passenger side inner fender in

Tomorrow I will have to:

Vacuum fill with coolant

Hook up the injector adapters that came in today

I had a MSD coil that the bolt tab broke off of during install that I need to reinstall now that I superglued it back together

Give it an alignment

Finish putting in the drivers side inner fender

Install the bumper

And fix the hood issue

After I knock out that list it will be start up time!!!

This is a side issue that I've found but I've noticed my clutch pedal feels very different than before.

I used an alignment tool and swear I installed it correctly, but my pedal it's pretty easy to push down and let's put like right at the top and it almost tries to push your foot back up.

It could be one of 4 things, that I haven't driven it in so long I forgot how it feels, I installed it wrong, it was installed wrong before and now it's right, or the cable needs adjusted.

I do have a new ball stud in it but I doubt than would change the pedal feel

Old 05-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #360
Registered Member
Regular

Dang it man. You don't need to do all that to fire it up. Those are just minor things you can do after. Lol. Just kidding man. We're all on the edge of our seats for you. Side note. Might be doing cams sooner rather than later. The VA disability back pay check came in almost made me faint and have a seizure. Can't do anything with it yet as I'm waiting on a job with GE aviation to come through. I have an interview Friday! Wish me luck!

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #361
Registered Member
Regular

The clutch feeling different might be a little of everything lol
Old 05-03-2016, 05:04 AM   #362
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
Dang it man. You don't need to do all that to fire it up. Those are just minor things you can do after. Lol. Just kidding man. We're all on the edge of our seats for you. Side note. Might be doing cams sooner rather than later. The VA disability back pay check came in almost made me faint and have a seizure. Can't do anything with it yet as I'm waiting on a job with GE aviation to come through. I have an interview Friday! Wish me luck!

Good luck brother and thanks for your service.

2002 Mustang GT, Trick Flow plenum, eibach lowering springs, BBK catted x-pipe, for now.......
Vinnie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #363
Registered Member
Regular

Drumroll please.

I was looking for little **** to do all day to avoid starting the car just because I was nervous.

I got the wires tucked and ziptied up and out of the way, inner fenders in, vacuum filled it with coolant, got the injector adapters on which actually was a PITA, they didn't want to snap into place easily, had to take both fuel rails off and plug them in off the rails then install them.

I then welded my exhaust back up and fabbed some dump tips because I'm not running full exhaust out the back because the over the axle pipe was going to be too close to my battery cable that I ran for the cut off switch.

Speaking of the cutoff switch, I was stressing that I either wired it wrong and I wouldn't get power at all, I had it hooked to the starter wrong so it wouldn't crank, or the car was just going to burst into flames.

So I nervously put the + cable on the battery terminal, stuck the key in the ignition, turned the key and holy sheep **** batman everything came on!

So after that I felt slightly better, I unhooked the inertia switch and cranked it for like 6 minutes to be sure the engine was primed(with my big *** MMR oil pan it better be) once I saw that the gauge was showing it start to come up, IT WAS TIME.

Turned the key to on and before I could even start it my buddy said STOP, injector was leaking fuel. So got that rail pulled off and sure enough and injector o ring had a chunk out of it, probably one that just didn't get lubed enough when installing them. So no big deal got a new o ring and hooked it all back up.

So obviously my next task was to try to start it, I had a group of 10-15 people around the car(friends, instructors,the dean who is a HUGE mustang guy was even there)

Turned the key over, and she fired straight up, it idled a little high until I lightly revved it and it came back down to a normal very choppy cammed idle.

Only 2 "bad" things happened,

1. It had a extremely light ticking noise form the valve train, which me and my instructor are thinking it's the new lifters on that reman head I bought..

2. The thermostat housing was leaking coolant slightly.

So I pulled the thermostat housing off and the o-ring had a slight rip, so for the time being we just put some RTV around the housing and reinstalled it, but I just left the parts store and got a new 170* thermostat, new o ring, and new thermostat housing. It would've drove me nuts knowing that it had that had o ring.

So tomorrow I will put it on the alignment rack and fix my slammed Honda camber and my slightly off steering wheel, install the bumper, go for a drive around the parking lot and if all is well and running perfect still then I'll datalog it and let mpt adjust what needs adjusting.

I have to really applaud MPT, with all the major changes I made from the last tune with compression and injectors and everything else I ran the codes on the car, I had 3 all of which related to EVAP which I removed and the car was fine besides that, so mpt did a hell of a job with the base tune!

Lastly the only thing that sucks about the cut off switch is that everytime I pull the key out of the switch in the bumper it resets my CD player so it's always on demo mode.

Other than that, I will be posting the start up video to YouTube, and making a build video as well with all the pictures, so I'll post those tomorrow!

It's been a hell of a journey in this short little semester but it's all worth it, I think the engine is gorgeous, the car looks amazing with the new hood and freshly painted front end. I am so thankful to have this forum and you guys' insight, knowledge and support!

Old 05-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #364
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
That is awesome man. Great job

04 GT
Bgrimes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #365
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!! But you let us down. The first thing you should have done was post us a video to watch!! We've all been waiting!!!

Old 05-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #366
Registered Member
Regular

Congrats!!! Can't wait to see the video.

2002 Mustang GT, Trick Flow plenum, eibach lowering springs, BBK catted x-pipe, for now.......
Old 05-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #367
Registered Member
Regular

I'm working on getting the YouTube videos done so I can post them, I'm just so damn relieved that everything was okay.

With the change in compression, ported heads and everything else major I did it definitely sounds a lot more beefy, sounds nothing like it did before, not sure what specifically made the change in sound but it's very different

Also I didn't mention this before because I had some friends that aren't members following the thread so I wanted it to be a secret until it all turned out okay, but I stroked it, it isn't a 4.6 anymoreπŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š

Old 05-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #368
Registered Member
Regular

We were all nervous for you! And we are all relieved it cranked right up!! Such an excellent job you did! I think it's a combo of everything you did to it that gave it giant bull balls! Now hurry up with those videos!!!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #369
Registered Member
Regular

What did you stroke it out too? That's exciting. When is that video gonna be ready πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Old 05-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #370
Registered Member
Regular

Stroked it to a 5.0

Got it aligned today, didn't get everything in green but I set it up how I want it to be.

I am however curious about something, I removed the abs module that's up by the radiator on the passenger side, all I did was put brass T's on and tied the fronts together and tears together and ran them back to the master cylinder.

I didn't touch the power steering system other than when I unhooked it all to install the k member.

I have pretty much no assistance in steering right now, could air in the lines be the culprit?

Also just to tease you guys a bit ill just leave these hereClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1462387110.092840.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	200590Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1462387131.839511.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	200591

Old 05-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #371
Registered Member
Regular

Looks fabulous! Superb job man!
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
Old 05-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #372
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It could be since the power steering also helps with the breaks. I would bleed the system

04 GT
Bgrimes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:43 PM   #373
Staff
Regular
Staff

This is making me happy in pants... Also I'm sure Keeney has had a permanent semi since the first startup. I would.

That's the one thing I'm going to regret about going 4V, the 2V can sound godlike. Need to get those vids going!

Old 05-05-2016, 04:46 AM   #374
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
This is making me happy in pants... Also I'm sure Keeney has had a permanent semi since the first startup. I would.

That's the one thing I'm going to regret about going 4V, the 2V can sound godlike. Need to get those vids going!
Ditto.....not me being happy in your pants..but being happy in my own pants for keeny...ummm nvm you all know what I mean.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #375
Registered Member
Regular

I made a video on iMovie but it's not letting me upload it to YouTube

Old 05-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #376
Registered Member
Regular

Try hosting it on photobucket.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #377
Registered Member
Regular

Did you publish the movie. After you publish it. It should let you put it on YouTube
Old 05-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #378
Registered Member
Regular

How do I go about publishing it?

Also got the car home, trailered it home for several reasons mostly safety with the power steering and braking bugs. Plus it's not insured and plates are expired and obviously it's a cop magnet lol

It's acting a little weird tho, like it'll idle normal then jump to 1500rpm and has a weird kinda whooping sound from the CAI

Old 05-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #379
Registered Member
Regular

Just a few gliches. I am sure you will figure them out. Bet you are happy to have it home!
Old 05-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #380
Registered Member
Regular

https://youtu.be/AVFG8xfmGUc

Hope you guys and gals like the video
Old 05-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #381
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeyah!

Old 05-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #382
Registered Member
Regular

Man it sounds so sweet

Sent from my LG-H811 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #383
Registered Member
Regular

Now for the break in. I'm kinda in a rock and a hard place.

When I first started it it only ran for a couple minutes then I shut her down. Drove it off the rack and turned it around in the shop and pulled it outside. I datalogged it, did an rpm step to 4500. Drove it maybe 5 miles total to and from the parts store, then loaded it on the trailer.

So with that I haven't really broke it in and I know the first few miles and hours of running are important but with the start up and break in.

So what should I do from here?

I've gotta do a few more datalogs to get the tune lined out, but then I was planning on driving it on the street, never at constant speed, not above 3500rpm but would keep the rpms fluctuating and pull it semi hard in the low rpms, after doing that for 100-200 miles, change the oil, run conventional oil and drive it a little harder still not redlining it but still pulling thru gears. After another 500 or so miles of that change the oil again, run synthetic like I normally would and drive it like hell lol not stupidly but get in it more and make some strong pulls.

Does that sound fine?

Old 05-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #384
ME Bloodhound
Supporter
Staff

Region: California
Hell Yeah!! I can't wait until i can put that much effort and money into my build. The car looks absolutely amazing, and sounds even better!

Now you just need to go weigh the car.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:33 PM   #385
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Where to go next

I like it. Had no idea it was a Steeda, though.

Respect the classics.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT