Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Where to go next

41K views 716 replies 34 participants last post by  keeney35 
#1 ·
I'm at a stand still as to where I want to go next with my build.

Right now I'm "full bolt on" cams, headers and the small stuff. Mods are listed in my sig..

But this semester I'm taking an engines class and we can bring in our own stuff to work on if we want.. So I've got a few options in mind as I have money to spend.

I want to upgrade my intake manifold and possibly heads.

Car has a FRPP PI intake manifold and stock heads as of now.

I'm debating between the Trick flow Street burner or trick flow track heat intake.

And twisted wedge heads or just finding some cheap pi heads and porting and polishing them in class.

Or I could build the bottom end, pistons/rods etc.

I already have a on3 kit ready to go but I want to get some other upgrades on before I start that install later this winter/early spring.

Any insight or opinions on those intake or those heads and comp 270 cams?

04 GT: CAI, 3.73, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, BBK 73mm TB, MSD coils, 47lb injectors, MPT tuned, Steeda lowering springs, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates and the list goes on.

See less See more
#3 ·
With the on3 kit I planned on a dyno tune lol?

04 GT: CAI, 3.73, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, BBK 73mm TB, MSD coils, 47lb injectors, MPT tuned, Steeda lowering springs, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates and the list goes on.

#4 ·
Do your homework on the trick flow street burner intake manifold. It falls very short of any performance claims they make. People have dynoed their cars with nothing changed out but the manifold. And in most all cases they lost HP and TQ. The Eddie intake manifold would be your best bet if you are going to spend money. But the stock intake no matter how ugly it is. It flows pretty dang well.

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.

#5 ·
I agree lol the street burner is pretty damn sexy, but after you get the elbow for a regular throttlebody and different rails because stock ones won't fit on the Edelbrock really it's not that much cheaper. And from what I read with headers and cams you do seeing games from the trick flow intake plus with the on3 kit I'm sure it will be better over the stock plastic one

#6 ·
http://www.modularheadshop.com/mhsedelbrock46l2vintakemanifoldcombo-1999-2004.aspx

With the street burner intake too you have to remember that you have to modify the throttle cable as well. I would just go with that fully set up eddy intake as I posted above.

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.

#7 ·
I would say give the port and polish a try too, get a nice used set for cheap and go to town. Also have you finished everything suspension wise yet? I know you were talking about LCAs a while back.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#8 ·
Seems like you will need a little beefier suspension after the On3 or even with what you have now. You and Bwright (i think thats his name on here) can compare your On3 experiences and results. Are you doing a single or twins?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#9 ·
Single 76mm

And I've now got UCA's LCA's subframes and wth the on3 I got a tubular k and coilovers upfront

#10 ·
I'm think in in just going to get that eddy and new jlt cold air kit for a bullit or 01 cobra and and one of those 2 throttle bodies since my old bbk plenum throttle body combo won't work.

Now I have to decide if I want it find some heads at a junkyard and port them or just clean mine up and get the motor nice and clean too

#11 ·
OK so here's what I've got right now

I'm going to get this rotating assembly and run the options they list to support the higher horsepower rating. http://www.modularheadshop.com/ERE-460013.aspx

I'm also going to run the dish pistons for 9:5 compression and either run pump gas with water/meth injection or E85.

For the heads up I'm probably going to stick with my stock ones for now and just give them a valve job and polish them.

And go with the Edelbrock intake that was posted above.

Then of course the on3 kit

With that set up in that rotating assembly I feel like I can put down pretty good power safely.

Scotty or rap can you guys chime in as far as what you think this can do

Also if I go 85 which I think is that easier out what all would be needed as far as fuel system changes

#12 ·
Also while the engine is out I'm going to go ahead and install the K member a arms and coil over kit since it will be easy to access

#13 ·
You'll have to re plumb the entire fuel system almost. Our cars aren't made for the corrosive E85. But it can be done. Those that are running the E85 should chime in though. I don't know the specifics.

#14 ·
Lsx kilr which is a well known stang tuner in the kc area, said I would just need lines, a pump, and injectors that are e85 compatible.

And with my compression being 9.5:1 that and boost that's where e85 shines

#15 ·
If you can get E85 go E85.

Intakes... if you are going to get anything get the MHS prepped Eddy intake but the stocker is more than fine... you are kinda wasting money going with the Eddy until the high RPM range.

Stock heads will start maxing out not too much above what the stock rotating assembly can take.

TBTH I'd get the On3 kit installed on the stock motor if its running well right now with an E85 setup and then go all out on suspension.

#16 ·
Well I really want to upgrade the rotating assembly so I'm not super limited on boost aka 450hp on borrow time one the **** stock rods

#17 ·
Yeah but putting stock heads back on means you'll never be able to take advantage of it.

I dunno if you hadn't already bought the On3 kit I'd say Coyote swap with the amount of $$$ you are going to drop. Any shot of you possibly being able to get a good interest rate on a 11+ GT and sell yours or is that off the table completely?

#18 ·
Honestly if I was going to spend the 18-20k range on a new car it would be a termi.

But I'm really not dropping that much honestly.

Rotating assembly 2500
On3 kit/kmember/coilovers 3000
Eddy intake 800
Dyno tune 450
Going to e85 idk yet but I'll only have like 6k in it after this big mod spree

All the labor is free since I'm doing it all then just the tune will be done by a pro

#19 · (Edited)
Honestly you could probably get away without porting the heads since you did the cams. If you did it yourself , I still don't think you'll reap any benefits worth the time, money, and effort. You'll have to get a whole gasket kit and redo your timing and all that jazz. I don't think a few extra CFM in flow that you could get out of it would be worth it. You honestly don't know how and where to port them to gain a huge number in CFM flow. Safely at least. If just leave them alone and do the things you posted above. That'll get you a long ways.
With all that you could be into the 700 range safely and reliably. I know a guy that goes to the base hobby shop with a turbo car and he doesn't have the eddy intake just stock intake. He has a forged bottom end and stock heads and turbo cams and makes 880. Very similar set up to what you want to throw together and it is reliable and powerful.

#25 ·
800 on stock heads? Bull****.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#20 ·
Well I don't want necessarily port them just a nice polish to clean up any not smooth spots from the factory and a valve job

#21 ·
Like I said. I doubt you'll get anything from it. You're not trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of it yet.

#23 ·
That is true. But if you do decide to do it only do like you said. Clean up the flash from casting.

#24 ·
That is true. But if you do decide to do it only do like you said. Clean up the flash from casting.

#27 ·
Excuse me. Stock porting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.