Removing Cats? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Removing Cats?

Hey everyone, so when freeing up the exhaust if I remove my cats I've heard that I'll lose torque but where exactly would I lose it and roughly how much?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mach5894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
From personal dyno numbers not much of a notice. Maybe between 2-5 at the most

lyonschoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonschoice View Post
From personal dyno numbers not much of a notice. Maybe between 2-5 at the most

Did you lose it on the low end?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Swapping out the stock pipe for an offroad one will net you some power. Comparing an offroad pipe to a good high flow catted one they are pretty much identical. High flow cats will lose you about 1whp... maybe. Obviously there are some exceptions on real fast cars but for a bolt on car its no big deal.

Also it is a federal crime to remove the cats just as a warning. Even in states where you think you'll never have to worry about it with no inspections. My buddy got a fix it ticket and a big fine in Wisconsin for running on OR pipe.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Swapping out the stock pipe for an offroad one will net you some power. Comparing an offroad pipe to a good high flow catted one they are pretty much identical. High flow cats will lose you about 1whp... maybe. Obviously there are some exceptions on real fast cars but for a bolt on car its no big deal.

Also it is a federal crime to remove the cats just as a warning. Even in states where you think you'll never have to worry about it with no inspections. My buddy got a fix it ticket and a big fine in Wisconsin for running on OR pipe.
Exactly was my issue in St. Louis and thats why I just put on my catted x pipe from slp. A few months ago when I had my bbk O/R x on I got pulled over. Cop got on his knees and saw no cats on it and issued me a improper muffler ticket and a citation for a court date. Judge was supppeeerrrr nice to me and saw I took care of it by putting my stock H back on and he told me I could have got jail time and a 5-50k fine for messing with cats because it is a federal crime. Got a slap on the wrist and had to end up paying for just the ticket. Its up to you whether to risk it or not, but now that I got my catted X pipe on I actually prefer it rather than my O/R because its just about as loud but it has more of a tone than just plane raspy as hell like an old POS truck. And the notice was more high end btw than low end so launches are still nice.
lyonschoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I've never been messed with here, but that is really interesting to hear, someone had told me that I would lose a ton of low end torque in the 2v, and I was thinking just go to a bigger gear

Old 01-07-2016, 10:53 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Let me guess, he was talking all about backpressure right?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:00 AM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Backpressure is the biggest myth out there. i don't even understand where that came from or how people even think it makes sense.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Backpressure is the biggest myth out there. i don't even understand where that came from or how people even think it makes sense.
Because it came from the Internet and the Internet never lies!
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The backpressure myth has been around a lot longer than the internet has! Lol

I don't think that eliminating the cats will cause any loss of torque at all. As long as they are replaced by the correct sized exhaust pipe, the flow characteristics should remain the same. When the cats are "gutted" by removing the material from the inside of them, and left in place for a stock appearing exhaust system, there will be a noticeable loss of low-end torque because the exhaust will enter the large empty space inside of the catalytic convertor and begin to "tumble" rather than have a nice evenly pulsed flow of exhaust gasses exiting the system through properly sized piping.
This same loss of torque "phenomena" will occur when the exhaust system is sized too large for the displacement of the engine.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT