Comp Cams Stage 1 VS Stage 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Cool Comp Cams Stage 1 VS Stage 2

Hi, how is everyone doing? I was hoping to might get some advise on the options on Comp Cams. I'm planning on having Comp cams installed in the near future, but since there aren't any tuners or very skilled mechanics in my City(small tourism city in Canada), I have to be careful not to go to complex on the Cams.
My options are(different sources say different things, so I currently planned):

Comp Cams XE261 Stage 1
-Would just having them droped in by a mechanic and leavening everything else stock, hoping there won't be any mechanical problems.
Ideally looking for 30 HP(no dyno Tune)

VS

Comp Cams XE268 Stage 2
Comp Cams Valve springs
Comp Cams Spring Retainers
-Ideally just want those parts installed while leaving the rest stock, but don't know if they have to get degreed and/or dynotuned to avoid mechanical problems.
Ideally looking for 30+ HP (no dyno tune)

I found an ex-Ford mechanic in my City and he would be able to do it, but not sure how good he is with degreeing and dynotune. And dynotune is most likely not available since he works in a basic dodge dealer facility.

Ultimately I want to get the most HP gains from the cams while still using my car as a reliable Daily Driver. Any advise or experience with them is appreciated. As some background info, my current add ons:
-Borla Stinger exhaust
-Bassani catted X-pipe
-Air Raid Cold Air intake
-70mm Throttle Body+Plenum
-BBK Underpully kit
-DiabloSport Intune tuner(currently running Bama Performance 91 Octane Tune)
KNIGHT4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I have the comp stage 3's 270's...

I wouldn't mess with the smaller ones, otherwise you'll want more power later and have to pay for the upgrade again, plus the idle is amazing.but the valve springs and a dyno tune Is a must.

but camming it is pointless unless you've got other supporting mods.

I would spend the money on suspension instead, you really need a good un for the cams. Longtubes would help with the cams too
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Get Cushman stage 2 NA cams and the valvespring upgrade. Much better than anything comp has.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 01:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for the feedback.

@keeney35
So with the current add ons I have listed above, cams would be probably fairly minimal in horsepower? Those 270s sound good, but In all likelihood a dynotune won't be available to me. If a Comp Cam stage 1 or 2 would already dish out 30 HP without a dynotune or degeeing, I already would be a happy camper considering what is locally available to me on mechanics. Then again, the 30HP I read in reviews might be a placebo effect. Its very hard to know on the internet.

@scottydsntknow
Yes, I heard good things about the Cushman stage 2. But same with the comp cam 270s, my local mechanics would limit the options on a dynotune. Plus for Canada shipping, options aren't that rosy either since American Muscle Comp Cams tends to have the better shipping out there of $128(other sites are unfortunately higher.)
KNIGHT4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

You can get a remote tune from a variety of places that'll get you pretty damn close. Not a canned tune, a legit remote tune.

However, do NOT install cams and not get a tune. Yes some of the companies say you can run X cam without a tune but that's to get you to buy their cams. It'll run ok and the sound is there but the AFR will be way off and there will be driveability problems.

Also the 270s are right on the edge of having PTV issues. On some motors they do and some they don't due to manufacturing tolerances, it is that close. The solution is to install them 2 degrees retarded which is going to lose a little power. Not much but just something else to think about.

I'd get ahold of Cushman and at least see what your shipping options are before you rule them out. He might be able to work with you or if you are close to the border and know someone there is always the option to have it shipped to them and then just driver across

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
With the 270's you don't need a dyno tune I had MPT mail me a tune

04 GT: CAI, 3.73, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, BBK 73mm TB, MSD coils, 47lb injectors, MPT tuned, Steeda lowering springs, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates and the list goes on.
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeney35 View Post
With the 270's you don't need a dyno tune I had MPT mail me a tune

04 GT: CAI, 3.73, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, BBK 73mm TB, MSD coils, 47lb injectors, MPT tuned, Steeda lowering springs, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates and the list goes on.
Yeah you got a remote tune. I've been in touch with Tuning by James and when I finally get my new motor in I'm going to pay him to send me a startup tune and then go from there.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you everyone for all the info. A lot of things to consider and think about.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also take a look at what else you have done and how much you feel its worth to get the cams in. It will be a solid 20-30rwhp gain with a good tune but the cams, degree service, TFS sprocket and valvesprings will be around $1k. Figure another $200 or so for gaskets and misc crap and then if you are paying for labor to have someone do it... prepare thy anus. Although if you are paying for labor you shouldn't need the degree service.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Why do cams have to be so damn expensive! Just the way it is I guess, I get why the labor is. I need a private cheap high performance Mustang guru mechanic.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Why do cams have to be so damn expensive! Just the way it is I guess, I get why the labor is. I need a private cheap high performance Mustang guru mechanic.

The cams themselves aren't. A single bumpstick for a pushrod is like $300-$400 for a good one. You get two for the bargain price of $550 for a 2V. Try having a 4V lol.

Its everything else that goes along with it and every other damn thing that has to come out to get at them and the labor. My budget for my cams is $1k. I am doing all the labor and the motor they are going on is on a stand so that part will be easy.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The cams themselves aren't. A single bumpstick for a pushrod is like $300-$400 for a good one. You get two for the bargain price of $550 for a 2V. Try having a 4V lol.

Its everything else that goes along with it and every other damn thing that has to come out to get at them and the labor. My budget for my cams is $1k. I am doing all the labor and the motor they are going on is on a stand so that part will be easy.
Yeah I know you can get a good set for around $600, and its the springs etc that get you. Way back before I knew better I thought it was a mod that could be done on the cheaper side; when I was a kid on my brothers push rod Mustangs it wasnt as costly...

Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:09 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah I know ppl who just swap in a $100 letter cam in a 5.0 pushrod and call it good. Not a good idea to not get new pushrods or upgrade the valvesprings but it worked... $100 for a used cam plus a few gaskets and rent a set of magnets to hold the lifters up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT