I know there is a bolt on list how to etc.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I know there is a bolt on list how to etc..

Can someone point me in the right direction for that thread that lays out must have bolt ons, please. I do remember reading about the trick flow upper plenum and using the stock throttle body with it being ok. I just purchased one for 40.00.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Vinnie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
It got deleted because of some issues with dead links among a few other things.

But here's a cliff's notes version:

-Nothing much you can do for the stock motor power wise besides exhaust
-TFS plenum and a Summit/TFS 75mm TB are really the only other things
-After this, gears, shifter(or jmod if auto), tune and then work on suspension and any cosmetics/interior mods you want
-Maybe a CAI... mainly for looks tho. If you do get one get the JLT which is composite and actually installs in the fender.

For exhaust, the stock manifolds are not really restrictive. Basic setup will be a nice mid pipe and your catback of choice. Recommend a catted mid pipe to keep you legal and if you are in an inspection state. Power is the same for a bolt on 2V.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks once again Scotty...you are the man! So the trick flow plenum is good to go then. Working on getting the catted mid-pipe as I already have an American thunder with super 10's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That trick flow plenum will work with the stock TB for the time being then?

Old 01-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
It got deleted because of some issues with dead links among a few other things.

But here's a cliff's notes version:

-Nothing much you can do for the stock motor power wise besides exhaust
-TFS plenum and a Summit/TFS 75mm TB are really the only other things
-After this, gears, shifter(or jmod if auto), tune and then work on suspension and any cosmetics/interior mods you want
-Maybe a CAI... mainly for looks tho. If you do get one get the JLT which is composite and actually installs in the fender.

For exhaust, the stock manifolds are not really restrictive. Basic setup will be a nice mid pipe and your catback of choice. Recommend a catted mid pipe to keep you legal and if you are in an inspection state. Power is the same for a bolt on 2V.
Thank you for answering one of my questions. I was wondering about the factory exhaust manifolds and if they were restrictive. I'm still running mine on my 04 GT. Since they aren't broke or leaking think I'll keep running them.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie02 View Post
That trick flow plenum will work with the stock TB for the time being then?

Yes it will. The aftermarket upper plenum are larger than the factory one and match the diameter of larger throttle bodies. I'm running a SVE 75mm throttle body and plenum on my car and noticed surprising gains.

On a stock tune with 87 octane gas my 2004 GT put down 250 rwhp last year at the O'Reilly summer nationals. My mods included...

Throttle body and plenum mentioned above.

Airaid cold air intake
Pypes off-road H pipe
Super 10 series mufflers

Now I have a tune in the car and it's a very fun daily driver in the summer time.

My next project will be overhauling the rear suspension.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks phatspeed!!

Old 01-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

I made a post that never went for some reason...

My 98GT had a 99PI engine in it. TFS plenum, stock TB. Never felt like spending the $160 for a Summit 75mm TB (TFS) and I doubt I missed even 1hp. Maybe a little throttle response. Probably not.

Leave the stock air intake alone, if you do get one, get the JLT which is composite but its not really needed except for looks.

My bolt on list for the 2V is:

Mid pipe
Catback
Shifter/Jmod
Gears
Wideband
Tune (MPT)
Suspension/subframes/wheels/tires

Then any cosmetics. If the car is a 96-98, it 100% should be PI swapped.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Already have the bbk cai in the fender well. My wife hates me getting parts I "don't need" lol. Trickflow plenum check. Looking an inexpensive catted x-pipe next. The search continues...

Old 01-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Get the UPR X pipe.

He prepared for that BBK CAI to look like crap in 6 months if you daily the car. Ask me how I know lol.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 01-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Lol the ol' girl is only driven about 4-5 months out of the year and only on nice days...30% chance of rain and she doesn't come out lol

Old 01-10-2016, 06:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

And yes if I don't find an x-pipe before April the I will buy the upr one. Just really wish NY didn't have emissions crap, a lot cheaper for no cats.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

You can still get pulled over and fined and even impounded for no cats in a non emissions state. Happened to a friend of mine. Only reason he got to drive home was his mother worked for the county sheriff.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Here in MN we don't have emission testing, but both me, and a buddy have been stopped for "loud" exhaust. We were both lucky the people who stopped us were also car enthusiast, and just let us off with warnings.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

That's just crazy...lucky for him. Definitely going catted. Lol

Old 01-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspeed7x View Post
Here in MN we don't have emission testing, but both me, and a buddy have been stopped for "loud" exhaust. We were both lucky the people who stopped us were also car enthusiast, and just let us off with warnings.
That's what he got stopped for initially but I guess the trooper was having a bad day and peeked under his car. Boom.

Quote:
That's just crazy...lucky for him. Definitely going catted. Lol

You won't find a better price on a good catted one than the UPR. The UPR pipe is actually made by a shop called VRS in Florida.

HOME

I ordered mine direct from them because UPR didn't have any in stock at the time and they cut me a military discount and were super nice and even added in a wideband bung for me.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:09 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
UPR is great. Had on my previous stangs. Never had a problem.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Get the UPR X pipe.

He prepared for that BBK CAI to look like crap in 6 months if you daily the car. Ask me how I know lol.

Why the upr? I need to get a new mid pipe, I was going to get the pacesetter to match my longtubes

04 GT: CAI, 3.73, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, BBK 73mm TB, MSD coils, 47lb injectors, MPT tuned, Steeda lowering springs, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates and the list goes on.
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:47 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Because I am a cheap SOB lol...only 299.00 for a catted regular length. As opposed to bbk being 419.00 or bassani 500+.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Hell the pacesetter mis pipes less than 200.

My cats,EGR and every emissions system in the car is gone lol

04 GT: CAI, 3.73, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, BBK 73mm TB, MSD coils, 47lb injectors, MPT tuned, Steeda lowering springs, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates and the list goes on.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeney35 View Post

LOL I wish....but Scottydsntknow story about his buddy is a Lil bit scary.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

He wants to keep it legal with cats so 299 for an xpipe with cats is cheap

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm in Missouri and the chances a cops going to look under the car are slim, find a buddy who inspects or a shop that would pass you. I inspect my own car and pass it since I have my license

Old 01-11-2016, 09:01 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Here in NY the inspection is all computer generated and a camera/ scanner is moved back and forth under the car and will not "spit" out an inspection sticker unless that step is done. I wouldn't want anyone to get they're license taken. 299 is the way to go for me. Lol...besides me being in law enforcement wouldn't look too good getting pinched lol

Old 01-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Well I'm in Missouri and the chances a cops going to look under the car are slim, find a buddy who inspects or a shop that would pass you. I inspect my own car and pass it since I have my license

My friend was in Wisconsin where there are no inspections at all. It just depends if the cop is having a really bad day or not, they all know what an OR pipe sounds like. I guess that cop was having a bad day.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Because I am a cheap SOB lol...only 299.00 for a catted regular length. As opposed to bbk being 419.00 or bassani 500+.

Yep and the UPR/VRS is just as good of quality and way cheaper and better ground clearance. You can get a catted stainless UPR/VRS for the same price as the aluminized BBK. Only reason people ever get the BBK is because they don't know any better and AM does not sell UPR stuff.

Quote:

We are talking shorties, you have longtubes. Also the UPR catless mid pipe for shorties is $159. The stainless one is not much more.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm going to stop you right there lol. Exactly was my issue in St. Louis and thats why I just put on my catted x pipe from slp. A few months ago when I had my bbk O/R x on I got pulled over. Cop got on his knees and saw no cats on it and issued me a improper muffler ticket and a citation for a court date. Judge was supppeeerrrr nice to me and saw I took care of it by putting my stock H back on and he told me I could have got jail time and a 5-50k fine for messing with cats because it is a federal crime. Got a slap on the wrist and had to end up paying for just the ticket. Its up to you whether to risk it or not, but now that I got my catted X pipe on I actually prefer it rather than my O/R because its just about as loud but it has more of a tone than just plane raspy as hell like an old POS truck. Bolt ons list below and made 256wrhp on bama's race tune. Dynoed at STL Mustangs.
Exhaust: stock headers, BBK O/R X-Pipe, SLP LM1's Catback
Suspension: Only upgrade is rear upper and lower control arms
Drivetrain: good ol' 3.73's
Engine: SR CAI, BBK 78mm TB/P, SR Underdrive pullies
Realized now the only true power you can make outta 2v is cams, full exhaust and force induction. 2,000$+ of bolts ons and you get the same gains from 800$ cams
lyonschoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Well...pulled the trigger on a bbk catted x-pipe for 200.00, man oh man if looks could kill...if that were true I wouldn't be typing this now with the look I got from the ol lady lol. Now I really can't wait till spring. Should feel like a different car when I pick it up from the mechanic. Probably some 4.10's and a sct tuner from MPT should finish it up for this year's mods.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well...pulled the trigger on a bbk catted x-pipe for 200.00, man oh man if looks could kill...if that were true I wouldn't be typing this now with the look I got from the ol lady lol. Now I really can't wait till spring. Should feel like a different car when I pick it up from the mechanic. Probably some 4.10's and a sct tuner from MPT should finish it up for this year's mods.

4.10 gears are fun. I'm sure they will help that GT get up and go. That was the biggest improvement I did to mine last year.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

$200 for a BBK catted pipe is highway robbery. I'm assuming you got it used in good shape.

If the old lady thinks that's bad you should show her how you saved over $200 vs buying new and then demand she cook you dinner. That'll go over great trust me.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:05 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Lol yeah Scotty...200.00 used and in great condition

Old 01-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Lucky dog

Sent from my 2003 rocketstang using Mustang Evolution
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

I paid $320 shipped for my VRS with Magnaflow cats and a wideband bung. I think I did ok lol.

Oh, that's something to think about while the BBK pipe is out. Buy a wideband that comes with a bung and have an exhaust shop weld the bung into your BBK pipe. Drivers' side, right next to the regular O2 sensor. Having a wideband is invaluable and if you are going to get a tuner... you really should have one.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I saw ones with a gauge. I take it I just need the sensor itself and bung to fit it. Correct?

Old 01-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Here is cliffyk's guide to bolt-on's.
1996 - 2004: Beginner's guide to bolting-on power gains

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT