Short shifter question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Exclamation Short shifter question

Scotty or anyone with some short shifter experience...

Have you ever heard of or experienced a short shifter to cause blocks into gears when cold or even warm under normal driving use? It doesn't seem to have a problem going into gear when you are WOT up to redline. I don't really speedshift, so haven't tried that.

This started happening over the summer after I put my SR Performance short shifter in. I have an MM clutch cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster so it's good. It actually started happening before when I had my FRPP adjustable cable. No freeplay spring and TOB is preloaded, so clutch is engaging and disengaging fine. Clutch and tranny has 20k miles and not been beat on, so I don't feel like it's a tranny issue. Currently has Pennzoil Syncromesh and 3.2qts, but it did the same thing when I had Mobil 1 ATF. I'm really thinking it's the shifter so is that pretty much impossible? I'll slap the stock shifter back on if needed.
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I once had a BBK shifter lock my trans into 5th gear. I thought the trans was shot until I pulled the shifter as a last resort before getting a new trans. Low and behold the stocker worked fine and the trans was fine. I ordered a Tri-Ax that day and have never looked back.

edited: Yes I did have to have my roommate go do it. I figured that was not relevant and edited it lol.

You do get what you pay for and the SR shifters are cheap for a reason.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I once had a BBK shifter lock my trans into 5th gear. Had to have my roommate go into my room and dig through my closet/boxes to find the stock shifter and bring a toolkit to swap back to the stocker on the side of the highway. I ordered a Tri-Ax that night and have never looked back.

You do get what you pay for and the SR shifters are cheap for a reason.

Sounds like putting on the stock shifter to see what happens is a good idea lol. Hopefully that is what's going on. Sure feels like it since I've never had shifting issues before. At least I only paid $75 for it.

IG: @rcodemach1
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

I edited the above post. That actually did happen. I have to think it was something with the machining tolerances, no idea. I have ran Tri-Axes since then with zero issues at all including replicating the exact same conditions and driving with the BBK shifter that locked up.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #5

Region: Florida
Short throw shifter

I just signed up for this forum and curious. I have a 2000 v-6 mustang 3.8 5 speed and can't stand the stock shifter. Any recommendations? I'm kinda new to the performance upgrading although I do love the ITSX Bama tuner chip I just installed. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
turbo1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1023 View Post
I just signed up for this forum and curious. I have a 2000 v-6 mustang 3.8 5 speed and can't stand the stock shifter. Any recommendations? I'm kinda new to the performance upgrading although I do love the ITSX Bama tuner chip I just installed. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I believe they have T45 trannys. Steeda and Hurst make short throw shifters for them as well. It makes your shifting my crisp with less slop. They have springs within the shifter to help center the shifter handle for much easier shifts from 2nd to 3rd. They also shorten the amount of movement needed to shift between gears. This makes for a much nicer driving experience in performance driving as well as daily driving IMO.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcodemach1 View Post
I believe they have T45 trannys. Steeda and Hurst make short throw shifters for them as well. It makes your shifting my crisp with less slop. They have springs within the shifter to help center the shifter handle for much easier shifts from 2nd to 3rd. They also shorten the amount of movement needed to shift between gears. This makes for a much nicer driving experience in performance driving as well as daily driving IMO.

All V6 cars through 2010 have the T5 believe it or not. But its the same shifter as the T45.

There are really only 2 options for a shifter IMO. Steeda and MGW.

MGW is going to have less shifter noise, nice short crisp shifts, nice centering springs and probably what the stock shifter should have been.

The Steeda Tri Ax will transmit some transmission noise into the cabin, its an older design and its a little cheaper. And it absolutely is the better of the two if you are into slamming the crap out of your gears. Just pushing up from 2nd with a pinkie finger and the handle will FLY to center on its own because of a super beefy 2-3 centering spring. All you have to do is push up. If you can't hit 3rd at 6k with a Tri-Ax... get an auto.

That BBK was my first short shifter ever. I have never bought anything besides a Tri-Ax since then and I have driven all the other "name brand" shifters. I still have a Tri-Ax.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Been using the mgw for about a month and and a half. Its great. Hear good things about the tri-ax also

Sent from my LG-H634 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
19robby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

That BBK was my first short shifter ever. I have never bought anything besides a Tri-Ax since then and I have driven all the other "name brand" shifters. I still have a Tri-Ax.

So difficult to choose between the two lol. With the MGW, was there anything you didn't like that the Tri-ax had in it?

Old 01-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19robby2 View Post
Been using the mgw for about a month and and a half. Its great. Hear good things about the tri-ax also

Most ppl actually prefer the MGW from my experience. IMO, the Steeda is the better one for pure slamming gears but its definitely more raw and you get the shifter noise.

One other reason I like the Tri-Ax is because non MGW shifters (like the Tri-Ax) can use a Steeda relocation plate that bolts to the shifter handle mount and moves the actual handle back a solid 2" and angles it a little more towards the driver than it already is. I always had to lean a little to shift into 3rd and 5th until I started using this bracket.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Most ppl actually prefer the MGW from my experience. IMO, the Steeda is the better one for pure slamming gears but its definitely more raw and you get the shifter noise.

One other reason I like the Tri-Ax is because non MGW shifters (like the Tri-Ax) can use a Steeda relocation plate that bolts to the shifter handle mount and moves the actual handle back a solid 2" and angles it a little more towards the driver than it already is. I always had to lean a little to shift into 3rd and 5th until I started using this bracket.

Ah yes, I remember you posting a pic of that before. Yeah that is a really nice part because the shifter location is crap. If I got the MGW, I'd probably opt for the stock handle selection. I wish it wasn't so damn cold. I'd swap to the stock shifter and confirm tonight lol.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
So difficult to choose between the two lol. With the MGW, was there anything you didn't like that the Tri-ax had in it?

The Tri-Ax just feels a little more connected to the transmission. There is no guesswork with the Tri-Ax, when you are in gear you know you are damn well all the way in gear and the 3rd gear centering spring is very stout.

But like I said its noisy and you'll hear it clack into place when you shift which is a turn off for a lot of ppl.

Another good thing about the Tri-Ax is cost. I haven't had to pay more than $100 for a used one in good shape since I bought one new in 2004 for a 3550 transmission.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #13

Region: Florida
I think I'm going to love this forum. The feedback from all of you is very helpful for some us newcomers on here. Thanks so much for the info and I'm quite sure I'll have a lot of questions in the future.
turbo1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I have the tri-ax in my mustang (thank you Scott again for the recommendation) and love it. Steeda even threw some swag at me to help promote the stuff in my area. They will be getting some of my tax refund for controls arms here in the next month or two.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

^Make sure you only do the lowers. Doing the uppers is a bad idea on these cars.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 01-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Yes, the Steeda Tri Ax!

We are very happy with our shifter & the confidence it gives the driver is second to none.

Here is a great video on our unit:

Happy to provide pricing & forum discounts!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hey TJ, please tell someone at Steeda to offer this plate for shifters people actually use instead of the Hurst and 3550 Tri Ax.

Steeda Mustang Offset Handle Bracket - TKO & Hurst (1979-2004) | Steeda 555-7070 | FREE Shipping

Works great but you have to press in nylon spacers with a vise to make it work in regular shifters and I had to do a lot of experimenting to find the right ones.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Old 01-13-2016, 11:18 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Thumbs up

Quote:
^Make sure you only do the lowers. Doing the uppers is a bad idea on these cars.

I've seen you make this comment in other "control arm" threads. I will for sure do that.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspeed7x View Post
I've seen you make this comment in other "control arm" threads. I will for sure do that.
Yep, snap oversteer can legit kill you. The car in my sig has steeda uppers installed from Steeda, I am going to be VERY careful with it and am going to change out the rear setup in short order after I get it up and running.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #21
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Yep, snap oversteer can legit kill you. The car in my sig has steeda uppers installed from Steeda, I am going to be VERY careful with it and am going to change out the rear setup in short order after I get it up and running.

I've heard that installing softer bushings, the aftermarket uppers won't be so deadly. Is that true?

Old 01-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I've heard that installing softer bushings, the aftermarket uppers won't be so deadly. Is that true?

Even if it helps its still a band aid for the issue and now you are modifying a part to be more like stock that you paid $$$ for in the aftermarket.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Hey TJ, please tell someone at Steeda to offer this plate for shifters people actually use instead of the Hurst and 3550 Tri Ax.

Steeda Mustang Offset Handle Bracket - TKO & Hurst (1979-2004) | Steeda 555-7070 | FREE Shipping

Works great but you have to press in nylon spacers with a vise to make it work in regular shifters and I had to do a lot of experimenting to find the right ones.
Will pass it along.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #24
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Have you guys used Permatex red RTV for a shifter gasket?

Old 01-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep. I usually use black actually but same thing. Light bead, make sure you go around the inside of the bolt holes and good to go. I've never had good luck with those rubber gaskets which is why I use the rtv.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I always see instructions sayi g to use black. Dont see why red would do any harm tho

19robby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #27
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Yep. I usually use black actually but same thing. Light bead, make sure you go around the inside of the bolt holes and good to go. I've never had good luck with those rubber gaskets which is why I use the rtv.

Thanks man! Gonna get up to 50 and be nice and sunny out tomorrow. I'm gonna swap out this SR shifter.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #28
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19robby2 View Post
I always see instructions sayi g to use black. Dont see why red would do any harm tho

Hmm, maybe it has better oil resistance..?

Old 01-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

I've used blue when I thought I had black and didn't feel like going out to get it. Worked fine. As long as it seals the shifter.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #30
Lorraine's driver

Regular

So, this thing says I need to wait 24hrs before operating something with flowing fluids. Seriously!?

Old 01-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol I never waited. It tacks up pretty quick. I put it on, let it start to tack and then install the shifter and then drive. That warning is more for it itll be in an application where it is actually sealing flowing fluids. This rtv will just be guarding against fluid splashing against the bottom of the shifter.

Why not go out and do it right now? Then let it sit overnight. It only takes 15 minutes.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #32
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Lol I never waited. It tacks up pretty quick. I put it on, let it start to tack and then install the shifter and then drive. That warning is more for it itll be in an application where it is actually sealing flowing fluids. This rtv will just be guarding against fluid splashing against the bottom of the shifter.

Why not go out and do it right now? Then let it sit overnight. It only takes 15 minutes.

Lol I've never heard anyone wait like that. I thought maybe it had something to do with the red. I looked up the black and it says pretty much the same. I think I am going to do it tonight. Gonna be cold, but I can take it lol.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:43 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Are you done yet??? Jk. Time is ticking!

So if your stock shifter solves your issue are you saying the SR may not be a wise choice? Ive heard mixed things on the shifter, most people complain of the bolts coming loose. I hope it solves your issue for you, but again then that means the affordable SR is something to add to the SR "do not buy" list on here. We need a thread on products that do not function as advertised, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh, good winter impact mechanix gloves and some carhartts and roll. I work on mine in some balls cold weather in that setup and a good wool cap and I sweat.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #35
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Eh, good winter impact mechanix gloves and some carhartts and roll. I work on mine in some balls cold weather in that setup and a good wool cap and I sweat.

Haha yup! Although I better not sweat doing this job lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT