Clutch noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:45 PM   #1

Region: Arizona
Clutch noise

My clutch has 540 miles on it and works great doesn't slip or anything but when I press the clutch in it squeeks really loud then if I keep it held in the squeeking goes away. Sometimes it won't do it but most of the time it does if I'm moving its louder then if the car is still. What could this be? Throw out bearing? Pilot bearing? ****ty adjustable clutch cable? Like I said it works well and just got broken in so I'm lost. Could I need to rd lube the throw out bearing? Lmk thank you
arena314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Sounds like the infamous aftermarket adj clutch cable issue. Ive never had an issue as mine is still all stock but it seems this is an issue that plagues a lot of Mustang owners. If you search threads you will find several about this, some recent. Most will say its not adjusted correctly and this seems to be the issue a lot of the time. Go with a Maximum Motorsports clutch cable, firewall adjuster, quaderant, then adjusted right it should fix your issue. Sounds like the throwout bearing isnt pre loaded properly due to the clutch cable not being adjusted correctly. What cable do you have on there? Anything but OEM or Maximum Motorsports it seems it will give you issues at some point. Im sure others will chime in.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:41 PM   #3

I have an adjustable steeda cable on it with an aftermarket quadrant but no firewall adjuster. Not sure what kind of quadrant it is bc I bought the car with it already installed but I got the new clutch and cable done. On the old clutch the TOB was completely shot but never made noise it had an OEM cable on it before but snapped before I replaced the clutch so I went with the steeda. Think it was a bad move?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arena314 View Post
I have an adjustable steeda cable on it with an aftermarket quadrant but no firewall adjuster. Not sure what kind of quadrant it is bc I bought the car with it already installed but I got the new clutch and cable done. On the old clutch the TOB was completely shot but never made noise it had an OEM cable on it before but snapped before I replaced the clutch so I went with the steeda. Think it was a bad move?
If youre not experiencing any issues and it grabs right, feels right, and isnt making any noise youre probably fine. From this forum I have seen tons of people with issues from the aftermarket cables and that is what their problem is, they get an OEM or MM cable and it solves their problem. I dont think it is 100% always going to fail but it seems to a lot. The aftermarket ones dont seem to last as long either. It sounds like the OPs issue could be coming from his cable/adjustement with the chirping he is experiencing from the TOB, it would at least be the first thing to check and make sure it is adjusted correctly or if the cable has failed and needs to be replaced.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:23 PM   #5

It works great grabs well and never slips or anything but when I'm moving and I go to shift it lets out a loud chirp but if I keep my foot on the clutch the noise will go away completely after 3-4 seconds
Old 01-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry Im dumb, I didnt realize the post before my last was the OP, lol....if what I said didnt make sense, haha.

Anyway I would try adjusting it and see if that helps with the chirps when shifting. Im assuming the chirp is coming from the TOB not being pre loaded properly thats why when you engage the clutch the noise goes away. Try pulling up on the clutch pedal to adjust the cable or maybe you have already tried adjusting it that way. Did a shop do your clutch? If so take it back and tell them to adj the cable or diagnose what the issue is.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:32 PM   #7

My buddy whose a mechanic did it. So you think my issue lies in the cable?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I would start with the cable at least at first. Could be as simple as it not be adjusted right. Some experience vibration too in the pedal. There shouldn't be any noise at all when shifting or not shifting. These cara TOB are notorious for having issues. What TOB did you go with? That would be the next thing to check I would think if your cable is fine and adjusted right. Again with aftermarket TOB people seem to have issues too, like if you use a Ford Racing TOB vs a OEM TOB, there is a difference at least there used to be ayway. This seems to be the second biggest issue with clutch issues on this forum, lol (non OEM TOB is what Im referring too).

Maybe see if your buddy can check it out for you, it may be something simple. Good thing is that at least for now you can drive it if need be, I would get it fixed sooner than later.

Im sure others will chime in with much more expertise than me on this subject. Im going from what I have seen and read over the years on these forums and my brother had a similar issue on his GT, it was his aftermarket cable.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:17 AM   #9

I used the TOB that came with the clutch kit I forget what brand clutch it was I'd have to check it out I have the box sitting in my garage
Old 01-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Is your TOB properly adjusted so it is spinning at all times? These things need to be preloaded and too many ppl think there needs to be a gap or "freeplay" in between the TOB and the clutch fingers. This is wrong and can cause the symptoms you describe as the TOB will be going from 0-whatever RPM in a split second metal on metal vs ramping up and down gradually with the engine RPM. With the dust cover off the bellhousing and the transmission in neutral with the car running, you should be able to crawl underneath and look in there with a flashlight and see it moving. If not, gradually tighten the cable till it starts moving and then go a little tighter and that is your preload.

Also, get rid of your cable and get a MM cable or OEM. ALL the aftermarket cables are junk compared to MM/OEM (same cable). You will want a good microclick adjuster like the Fiore to control your cable tension.

Only other thing I can think of would be the pilot bearing but if the noise stops after 3 or 4 seconds that's likely not it as the pilot is only moving with the clutch pedal pushed in and the input shaft not spinning.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:50 PM   #11

If I got an OEM cable I wont be able to adjust it to put pre load on the TOB can't that be a problem?
Old 01-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
If I got an OEM cable I wont be able to adjust it to put pre load on the TOB can't that be a problem?
Notice I said get a microclick firewall adjuster.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:00 PM   #13

So if I got an OEM cable with a firewall adjuster there's high chance problem is solved?
Old 01-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So if I got an OEM cable with a firewall adjuster there's high chance problem is solved?
I think so to be honest. But like Scotty said take the dust cover off and see if the TOB is preloaded

Old 01-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #15

Wouldn't a cable adjustment pre load it?
Old 01-20-2016, 09:56 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yes it will but the cable you have will not last even half as long as an OEM, the action will not be as smooth and adjusting one of those cables is a royal pain in the nuts vs a microclick firewall when you can literally adjust the tension in 10 seconds. Literally.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:12 PM   #17

So I guess I'll be getting a MM cable with a firewall adjuster soon
Old 01-20-2016, 10:16 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

The best setup I've ever had is an OEM/MM cable, a MM quadrant and a Fiore microclick. The MM quadrant is nice because it perfectly mimics the stock feel and it does not create any pinch points on the cable as the cable end sits square. I've had a few other quadrants that put a huge pinch on the cable right at the end and I have zero idea why they are installed this way.

The only thing I don't like is the MM firewall is an allen set screw. I hate those. Another thing to work loose or I can't find the damn wrench when I need to adjust the cable for whatever reason. The Microclicks use no set screw and stay put. UPR also makes one that is good and cheaper than the Fiore IIRC.

What does a clutch quadrant do for me?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #19

I'm going to get a MM cable and a firewall adjuster and pray my problems solved. Am I hurting my TOB driving it as it is now? Bc I won't be able to get it done right away but I need to drive still
Old 01-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

You can check/set your preload right now which you would be doing asap. If its preloaded properly there is something else going on. This is one major reason I learned to do transmissions myself TBTH. I know I'm going to do it right and if there is a problem I'm not paying $$$ to have it all pulled back apart. Labor on these is insane.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #21

I know I would of considered me and my friends doing it but I don't have a lift or anything
Old 01-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Without a lift it makes it hard, especially when youre old like me. Not too old myself, like to say Im an "experienced young guy" lol

Old 01-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Pffft, put the car on ramps and get to it. You have plenty of room on ramps. One person sits in the car with e brake on and foot on brake for safety and the other guy adjusts the cable as needed while checking the TOB. Really easy with a microclick adjuster. With an adjustable cable where you have to use a wrench under the car its going to be a bit of a pain but it'll still be pretty fast.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #24

So the TOB should be touching the pressure plate even with the car off?
Old 01-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Pffft, put the car on ramps and get to it. You have plenty of room on ramps. One person sits in the car with e brake on and foot on brake for safety and the other guy adjusts the cable as needed while checking the TOB. Really easy with a microclick adjuster. With an adjustable cable where you have to use a wrench under the car its going to be a bit of a pain but it'll still be pretty fast.
I was referencing changing out the entire clutch and or changing out a trans. But obviously I didnt elude to that. To adjust the cable and check things out ramps would totally be fine.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Clutch noise

Is there a good website to order all the mm cable and adjusters from?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
XxFLoridaboYxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Yes. They're website.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BLKBETTY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #28

Is it damaging my TOB bearing to drive it how it is now though? Bc I won't be able to look at it for at least a few more days. It's been like this for about a week and a half

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT