Faulty oil pressure guage? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

Region: Arizona
Faulty oil pressure guage?

Hi, my oil pressure guage on my 96 is acting strange. At idle or normal drivi g for the most part the needle will stay completely still at the N for normal untill I get up into the higher rpms the needle will go all the way down past the little red line. It's been doing that since I got the car in August and I never really paid attention to it till now bc its starting to concern me. Is there likely an issue with the sending unit? The car runs good and like I said it's been doing it the past 5 or 6 months or so so. Any help would be great bc im a little concerned about it. Thanks in advance
arena314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sending units are pretty cheap and easy to change. Start there and then put a known good gauge on it if it still acts goofy. That would definitely make me nervous. I would want it fixed ASAP !
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #3

I am planning on getting a new one soon. The thing is its been doing that for months and I haven't had any issues. No strange noise just a little but of valve train noise for 3 minutes on a cold start then its fine. Also my oil looks good and when i turn my car off the guage stays on the N wouldn't it go down to 0 if it were working right? Plus my coolant guage doesn't work my gas guage is off by a little and my batt guage seems to be reading high so I also think it could be by cluster itself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm sure there are others on here with cars of your model that will be here to help. Sounds like it could be a gauge cluster. Still would make me nervous though.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:53 PM   #5

Not saying there's nothing wrong but I just think if there was a problem that would cause that then something would of happened by now but if anyone has an sn95 and had similar issues please lmk
Old 02-05-2016, 06:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
mine did the same thing. put in a new pressure sending unit and problem solved. i was scared at first when i saw it happen, but the engine felt perfect. when i unplugged it, i noticed a bit of oil dripping from around the plastic. Maybe it had a crack in it and the sensor was getting a bad pressure reading? either way, havent had the problem again since i fixed it like 6 months ago.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:15 AM   #7

So it was reading low then when you accelerate hard it would go all the way down then go up again when you let off? Because that's what's happening to me
Old 02-05-2016, 06:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It has done that, but that's not what it constantly would do. I would get a gauge and a sensor because you normally lose some pressure when you accellerate. But the sender we have on the mustang is a switch rather than a real guage. Once it reaches its minimum psi, it is "normal". When it is below that psi threshold, it goes all the way down. They should have put an oil light in the dash instead of a gauge really. So make sure you aren't like, 1 psi below the minimum as you accelerate by using a proper gauge.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-05-2016, 06:35 AM   #9

I thought the guage normally went up as you accelerate?
Old 02-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by arena314 View Post
I am planning on getting a new one soon. The thing is its been doing that for months and I haven't had any issues. No strange noise just a little but of valve train noise for 3 minutes on a cold start then its fine. Also my oil looks good and when i turn my car off the guage stays on the N wouldn't it go down to 0 if it were working right? Plus my coolant guage doesn't work my gas guage is off by a little and my batt guage seems to be reading high so I also think it could be by cluster itself

I would be concerned with the valvetrain noise. My 2001 had issues with this and the needle wouldn't move for about 3 to 5 seconds on the first start of the day.

Changed the oil pressure switch, with no improvement. Gradually took longer, and longer for the gauge needle to move as time went on.

One morning a block from my house, needle still not moved, all kinds of valvetrain noise.

Ended up dropping the oil pan and found the oil pick-up full of crap. Replaced the oil pump and pick-up. Ran like a champ after that with no issues. No noise on start-up and no problems with oil pressure needle moving properly.

Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #11

It's only for a few minutes then its completely quite the rest of the day it's only on a cold start
Old 02-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yep, that's how mine started...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #13

It's been doing it since I got it though for months
Old 02-15-2016, 06:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yea if changing the switch doesn't fix it then you have problems, likely the oil pump. But a faulty guage will cause this when there's no odd noises also. It's cheap to replace so it's a good place to start.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I would first change the sender like others have suggested. You could also put in a real gauge if you were still worried after the sender install

04 GT
Bgrimes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You guys all realize that the stock gauge is just an on/off switch right? It its moving around then something is wrong with the sender or the unit itself is getting wonky.

First step is to get a good aftermarket gauge and see what the hell is actually going on with your oil pressure.

Also obviously make sure via the dipstick that there is actually oil in it...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #17

The oil is a a great level. So your saying if the guage is moving then the guage is screwed up? If the guage was right it would either be right in the middle or all the way at the bottom?
Old 02-29-2016, 07:12 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

The gauge works at 6 psi or does not work below that. That's it. Its an "idiot gauge". You should get an aftermarket gauge if you want to actually know what your pressure is.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #19

I'm getting a guage but your saying if the stock guage is moving then you know it's messed up?
Old 02-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Not for sure but the stock gauge is not reliable anyway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT