Why does my car have a new rear end? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Why does my car have a new rear end?

I found out that my rear end was replaced and it has the gt gear ratios, what could be the reason why a stock mach 1 would have a gt rear end?
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Perhaps it was broken, or otherwise damaged, and was replaced with a rear end from a GT?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Perhaps it was broken, or otherwise damaged, and was replaced with a rear end from a GT?
What im worried about is if it would affect any other parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016, 10:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Except for the gear ratios and the brakes, they are identical.
If your rear end is equipped with the stock GT 3.27/3.31 gear ratio, instead of the Mach 1 3.55 ratio, your speedometer will read slightly slower than your actual speed, unless the different gear ratio was compensated for in the tune.
Hopefully the Mach 1 brakes were swapped over to the replacement rear end.
Other than that, I can't think of anything else that would be affected by the rear end swap.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Except for the gear ratios and the brakes, they are identical.
If your rear end is equipped with the stock GT 3.27/3.31 gear ratio, instead of the Mach 1 3.55 ratio, your speedometer will read slightly slower than your actual speed, unless the different gear ratio was compensated for in the tune.
Hopefully the Mach 1 brakes were swapped over to the replacement rear end.
Other than that, I can't think of anything else that would be affected by the rear end swap.
I meant if the rear end was broken what would it affect mechanically on the car , the speedo isnt off but the car isnt tuned or anything, and yeah i think the brakes were swapped over.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
When was the last time you had a 4 wheel line-up? This would give you an indication if anything was wrong. Have you run a CarFax to see it was in an accident?
The rearend could have been OEM defective and maybe replaced under warranty. Your local Ford dealer could find out by searching Ford's service records on the car.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
When was the last time you had a 4 wheel line-up? This would give you an indication if anything was wrong. Have you run a CarFax to see it was in an accident?
The rearend could have been OEM defective and maybe replaced under warranty. Your local Ford dealer could find out by searching Ford's service records on the car.
Yeah the car was in an accident but it was minor and only affected the front bumper, and im guessing id have to call up ford and give them my vin to see if they have done any work on it?
Old 02-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
A few years ago there was a guy on SVTPerformance that had a DSG (I think?) Mach 1 with a GT rear swapped in. He actually put the rear in after his blew up. Maybe it's the same car...

Luckily both are 28 spline so you aren't losing anything there, and as said the gearing is different, differential/axles are the same.
The biggest difference are the rear brakes. The calipers are basically the same but the rotor size is slightly smaller than the 11.65" Mach 1/Bullitt/Cobra and aren't vented. I also believe they are not as thick but I cannot confirm that at the moment. Easiest way to know if you have GT brakes is to look at the calipers. The GT's don't have a lower cast piece on the cage surrounding the pads.

It's not uncommon for the Machs to trash the factory 28 spline. Guys were doing it quite often with slicks at bolt on power. From there you had two options, rebuild the 8.8" and upgrade to 31 spline, or drop in a GT 8.8". Could have easily been the case or there was a wreck that totaled out the rear. But it sounds like the car is mechanically fine and there has been no physical body work to that area. So you are probably fine. Biggest thing you are losing are the 3.55 gears and the larger rotors.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
for all we know the previous owner might have put the totally wrong fluid in the dif and blew it up, and the cheapest, quickest reliable solution was a gt rear end. or more believably, he wore out his clutches and a bad mechanic told him it was a bad dif and sold him on a total replacement.

if everything else is fine, then it was probably too many burnouts.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
for all we know the previous owner might have put the totally wrong fluid in the dif and blew it up, and the cheapest, quickest reliable solution was a gt rear end. or more believably, he wore out his clutches and a bad mechanic told him it was a bad dif and sold him on a total replacement.

if everything else is fine, then it was probably too many burnouts.
What i dont get is that the car was 100% stock, i wouldnt think an owner that kept the car stock would kill the car with burnouts
Old 02-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrift View Post
What i dont get is that the car was 100% stock, i wouldnt think an owner that kept the car stock would kill the car with burnouts
You never know what a car has been through though. Believe Ive found some weird stuff that was mind blowing where you just can't figure it out. But its hard to find everything when looking at used car especially as old as our cars are getting now. It would be even harder to spot the wrong rearend if it drove fine and there was no reason to check it other than the standard lay on the ground looking for leaks and rust etc. I guess if you were specifically looking to make sure it was a particular rearend then it would be possible.

Does it drive and operate fine? I get your concern though, "like what happened to cause this and what else could there be screwey?". Maybe put a 373 or preferably a 410 gear if it was me and go from there. Unless youre not concerned with the performance aspect.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
You never know what a car has been through though. Believe Ive found some weird stuff that was mind blowing where you just can't figure it out. But its hard to find everything when looking at used car especially as old as our cars are getting now. It would be even harder to spot the wrong rearend if it drove fine and there was no reason to check it other than the standard lay on the ground looking for leaks and rust etc. I guess if you were specifically looking to make sure it was a particular rearend then it would be possible.

Does it drive and operate fine? I get your concern though, "like what happened to cause this and what else could there be screwey?". Maybe put a 373 or preferably a 410 gear if it was me and go from there. Unless youre not concerned with the performance aspect.

The rear end leaks a little, the clutch isnt the smoothest but thats the only complaint, and the motor sometimes makes more noise than just the standard head tick
Old 02-14-2016, 10:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
My question is how do you know for sure that it has GT gears? If you say it's 100% stock but the speedometer isn't off then either the gears are still 3.55 or the car has a tune/socal speed box.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
My question is how do you know for sure that it has GT gears? If you say it's 100% stock but the speedometer isn't off then either the gears are still 3.55 or the car has a tune/socal speed box.
I was told by the shop that was fixing a couple of issues that it was different. My previous mach had 3.55s and it was slightly quicker
Old 02-15-2016, 01:03 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The rear end leaks a little, the clutch isnt the smoothest but thats the only complaint, and the motor sometimes makes more noise than just the standard head tick
The rearend dribbling shouldnt be too bad to fix with a new gasket as long as it checks out OK. Or leave it for a while if its not that bad and just keep an eye on it until youre ready to switch out the gears.

Didnt your previous Mach have a tick or knock? I hope this one is not as bad or like your previous one. I assume not since you bought it.

Im sure once you get these couple bugs worked out you will be very happy with it. Machs are sweeet!

Old 02-15-2016, 06:43 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
People will burn out and wreck a v6. Doesn't have to be modded.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
The rearend dribbling shouldnt be too bad to fix with a new gasket as long as it checks out OK. Or leave it for a while if its not that bad and just keep an eye on it until youre ready to switch out the gears.

Didnt your previous Mach have a tick or knock? I hope this one is not as bad or like your previous one. I assume not since you bought it.

Im sure once you get these couple bugs worked out you will be very happy with it. Machs are sweeet!

Yeah my previous one had a knock, this one doesnt bc the noise goes away or just doesnt happen sometimes
Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Gotcha. Thats good then. I was gonna say that would be some crappy luck, lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT