Opinion on what to do - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Opinion on what to do

I am at a stock height with the ugliest wheels. I am planning to build the car up to pushing boost. But I don't know where to start. I have a friend that is associated with steeda & is offering me a discount on steeda suspension package stage 1. I also have the worst wheels. I was thinking about just getting the 18" staggered wheel set from AM with nitto tires. Should I get wheels first or the suspension package? Or just focus on performance mods ?

If anyone knows a website that offers a good wheel kit or even some better tires ? I was thinking about going 1 inch spacers & run 275 or 285 on the back & 255 in the front
xrsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2016, 02:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Suspension package comes with steeda sport springs for 1 1/4 inch drop, camber plates, strut tower brace & a g bar
Old 02-16-2016, 06:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Personally, I would skip the strut tower brace and the rear shock tower bar. Instead I would do full length subframe connectors.

What sort of driving do you plan on doing (Road course, drag strip etc)? Do you prefer to have the car looking good first or would you rather have it perform better first?

Ride height is all personal opinion, I love a really low car so those Steeda springs wouldn't really do it for me.

Do you plan on doing the spacers with the new wheels? Most aftermarket wheels will have an aggressive enough offset to not need spacers unless you plan on going flush. I would go with an 18X9 and 18X10 staggered setup with some 255s up front and 295s in rear. If ordering through AM I would spring for the Mickey Thompsons instead of the Nittos.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Personally, I would skip the strut tower brace and the rear shock tower bar. Instead I would do full length subframe connectors.

What sort of driving do you plan on doing (Road course, drag strip etc)? Do you prefer to have the car looking good first or would you rather have it perform better first?

Ride height is all personal opinion, I love a really low car so those Steeda springs wouldn't really do it for me.

Do you plan on doing the spacers with the new wheels? Most aftermarket wheels will have an aggressive enough offset to not need spacers unless you plan on going flush. I would go with an 18X9 and 18X10 staggered setup with some 255s up front and 295s in rear. If ordering through AM I would spring for the Mickey Thompsons instead of the Nittos.

I do plan on getting the MM subframe connector. So I was thinking getting that with the eibach springs that drop 1.7 on the back & 1.5 in the front. This is my daily so I never really wanted it that low. Yeah I plan on using the spacer with the new wheels.
On my old v6 I had it perform better rather than look better. I don't know if I want to do that again.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Wheels are always a good first mod, as u benefit visually immediately. I'd do them first, you'll be happier with the look of ur car. I'm loving the 1" spacers out back as well, I'd u go staggered however, u shouldn't need them

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I say suspension 1st for sure. Your car will look and handle better. New wheels may not impress in 4X4 mode yet a good suspension setup gives you appearance and performance.
Just my suggestion but I'm one that puts icing on after the cake is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BLKBETTY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life View Post
Wheels are always a good first mod, as u benefit visually immediately. I'd do them first, you'll be happier with the look of ur car. I'm loving the 1" spacers out back as well, I'd u go staggered however, u shouldn't need them

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I think you're right. I think I'm going to get the wheels first then see how they fit too see if I want a spacer or not
Old 02-16-2016, 02:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I vote suspension. Simply because the suspension will improve handling performance regardless of wheels on the car. Also it will force you to get your geometry correct after lowering/altering your suspension.

Then when you do invest in some more expensive rubber, you won't have a half ****d setup wearing down tires every 5k miles.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I vote suspension. Simply because the suspension will improve handling performance regardless of wheels on the car. Also it will force you to get your geometry correct after lowering/altering your suspension.

Then when you do invest in some more expensive rubber, you won't have a half ****d setup wearing down tires every 5k miles.

Do you think I should go with the steeda package or eibach with a MM subframe connector ?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
i did suspension first.do your tires really look that bad or could you plasti dip the wheels for now,or do you not like the style of wheel you have? i have a 5 spoke cobra style wheel that i did in black.they look pretty damn good for now. wheels replicas has some nice wheels and tires you should check out and steeda is an outstanding product but i went with h&r lowering springs and to me it gave my newedge the perfect stance. inch and a half all around but the car does have a couple steeda parts installed. cant go wrong with steeda no matter what it is.
newedge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrsfx View Post
Do you think I should go with the steeda package or eibach with a MM subframe connector ?
I am not a huge fan of Eibach, just too many inconsistencies with their products. I rarely hear about Steeda, Maximum Motorsports or H&R having major product issues, which is why I only use them on my cars, and most importantly, they perform.

What is nice about packages like the Steeda one you listed is that all the components are meant to work well with each other. I believe Maximum Motorsports offers a similar package with their products.

If you are looking for a moderate drop 1-1.5", go with the Steeda package. This is probably better for a daily driver. Depending on mileage and condition, it might be worth it to upgrade shocks/struts too.

If you are wanting a more aggressive drop ~1.5-2" using drop springs, not coilovers, get H&R Super Sports, Maximum Motorsports 4 bolt Caster Camber plates, ideally Bilstein HD's, but they are pricey, so at a minimum Koni STR.T's, Steeda X2 ball joints, and a bumpsteer kit. Then add in the tower braces and subframe connectors.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I am not a huge fan of Eibach, just too many inconsistencies with their products. I rarely hear about Steeda, Maximum Motorsports or H&R having major product issues, which is why I only use them on my cars, and most importantly, they perform.

What is nice about packages like the Steeda one you listed is that all the components are meant to work well with each other. I believe Maximum Motorsports offers a similar package with their products.

If you are looking for a moderate drop 1-1.5", go with the Steeda package. This is probably better for a daily driver. Depending on mileage and condition, it might be worth it to upgrade shocks/struts too.

If you are wanting a more aggressive drop ~1.5-2" using drop springs, not coilovers, get H&R Super Sports, Maximum Motorsports 4 bolt Caster Camber plates, ideally Bilstein HD's, but they are pricey, so at a minimum Koni STR.T's, Steeda X2 ball joints, and a bumpsteer kit. Then add in the tower braces and subframe connectors.

+1 with the H&R springs. I had them on my old car along with Bilsteins and the Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates and it handled great. I didn't think it was too harsh, but it was so much fun taking corners. I sold my old car but made sure I kept those parts for the next one

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
1997 Ford Mustang GT (Rio Red) (RMR #7832)

2003 Ford Mustang GT Centennial Edition (Black) (SOLD)
2004 Ford Mustang GT (Redfire) (SOLD)
1985 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe (Red) (SOLD)
TheJigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
I would do suspension first if it were me. Functional and to me if you have nice wheels and 4wheeler wheel gap, it just looks terrible.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:30 PM   #14

Region: Louisiana
it would be best to model your suspension after what you will actually be using the vehicle for that way it works best for you

what are your goals with the car?
decipha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by decipha View Post
it would be best to model your suspension after what you will actually be using the vehicle for that way it works best for you

what are your goals with the car?

This is my daily + my project car. I drive about 10 miles front & back everyday. Weekends I attend meets & do photo shoots, I'm an automotive photographer. I'm planning to do bolt on mods for now & a full suspension. After that is all set up I'm going to try to run turbo.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT