What's a fair price? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #1

Region: New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to ChaudMasterFlex Send a message via Yahoo to ChaudMasterFlex
What's a fair price?

So I was just offered $5000.00 for my Mustang. It's a 2003 GT 5spd covertible. It's yellow with 83k miles on the clock. Should I take 5000? I keep getting crap about "book value" but if you checked the book value on a foxbody Mustang you wouldn't see them higher than $2000.00 - $3000.00

Someone buying my car is looking for either a Mustang or a Mustang convertible and not just any car. So that should add some value, right?

The top and headliner are brand new. The paint has some dings and scratches here and there.

Mods include;

MGW short throw shifter
HID lights
American Muscle 17" wheels with good rubber
4.10 gears
New Koni shocks in the rear
Accufab plenum
Airraid intake
Accufab 70mm throttlebody
BBK underdrive pulleys
Newer SR 150 amp alternator
SR coilpacks
H&R springs and isolators
SCT tuner custom tuned by local shop
Kenwood touchscreen
Spec stage 2 clutch
Lakewood u-joint
SLP loudmouth exhaust

All mods are less than 2 years old.
ChaudMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
No, don't settle for $5000. If the car had 120K miles or higher, I'd say maybe, but with the list of mods and the fresh top/headliner, it's worth more than that. If you have the stock parts to go along with the sale, then $7500-$8000 is perfectly reasonable.

$5000 here is, by definition, a low-baller offer.
1997 Ford Mustang GT (Rio Red) (RMR #7832)

2003 Ford Mustang GT Centennial Edition (Black) (SOLD)
2004 Ford Mustang GT (Redfire) (SOLD)
1985 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe (Red) (SOLD)
TheJigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to ChaudMasterFlex Send a message via Yahoo to ChaudMasterFlex
Yeah, I have all of the stock parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Its all about condition. I've seen cars with under 100k look like total **** and the car I sold 2 years ago with 120k on it looked brand new and had a little more modifications than yours and I only got $6k.

I'd come back at $6k and see if you can meet at $5500 if you really want to sell it.

That is the big question... do you want to sell it?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #5

I want to sell it for the right price. I just bought another toy so I can't justify keeping this one too. As for condition, I think it's in pretty good shape. It's not perfect, but its solid. The only flaws are the paint has seen better days and there's a small tear in the driver's seat.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I would price it out on NADA this will give you the market value for your car, it takes year, availability, condition, and what other cars are being sold for in your area in the same condition. Also check out an app called Cargurus it will bring up cars similar to yours in your specific area and it will tell you if their above or below market value. These are good tools to use for pricing a vehicle like this. You wont get any extra money for mods unless their worth it to that buyer. If you have stock parts, return to stock and sell your mods and you will make more usually. Around me 5k would be a little low for that car, if in good to excellent condition it would be 7-8k. But its up to you and how bad you need/want the money from it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If someone just wants a car at good book price they arent going to want to give you much. That said tehre is a market for our cars. The modded ones. I can tell you that would definitely be low here anyway. Based off just the fact that I am always looking at them for sale for my girlfriend I would say $6500 minimum I would accept but Could do as well as 7500. BUT area does make a difference also
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJigShow View Post
No, don't settle for $5000. If the car had 120K miles or higher, I'd say maybe, but with the list of mods and the fresh top/headliner, it's worth more than that. If you have the stock parts to go along with the sale, then $7500-$8000 is perfectly reasonable.

$5000 here is, by definition, a low-baller offer.
There is no way in hell its worth $8k. No way. And if his paint is meh and the seat is torn... Lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I bought my car about a month ago and paid over kbb but It s in really good condition with only 49k so I think it depends on what the person is looking for and if there willing to pay. Can anyone estimate what I can get for mine? 99gt 49k 5speed, mgw short shifter, bbk 70mm throttle body, bbk cai, original 40s flows, paint and interior in very nice condition especially for a 99 and i forgot its the white 35th anniversary edition that was ordered with a few extra interior and exteriors mods

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast408 View Post
I bought my car about a month ago and paid over kbb but It s in really good condition with only 49k so I think it depends on what the person is looking for and if there willing to pay. Can anyone estimate what I can get for mine? 99gt 49k 5speed, mgw short shifter, bbk 70mm throttle body, bbk cai, original 40s flows, paint and interior in very nice condition especially for a 99 and i forgot its the white 35th anniversary edition that was ordered with a few extra interior and exteriors mods

Because of your mileage and if its in excellent condition I would say your in the 6500-7k ball park where I live. We dont have the cheapest car prices in the area Im in though. I know in Oakland county Mi (the other OC lol) things are higher.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I got my 03 with 76k miles a couple months ago for $5400. Its very clean, a few cosmetic blems to be expected, quite a few new maint parts, Flowmasters, CAI, nothing crazy, and a really clean leather interior with no rips. It is a premium for whatever that is worth. I wasnt planning on buying but did because in my area this was a good deal. Ive been looking at New Edges for a long time on Craigslist etc and most of them in the condition this one is in were closer to 7k. But thats just around me, I'm sure their cheaper in other places

Old 02-23-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That s not too bad but I think I should enjoy it for a few years and then later sell it for less, then maybe get another one. I ve always liked the 05-09 body styles.

99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Old 02-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like you got a good deal on the 03

Old 02-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast408 View Post
Sounds like you got a good deal on the 03

Yeah it was a good deal, not an "insane" deal. But those kind of deals dont come around all the time, lol. You should enjoy yours, mod it, make it your own, keep it and buy another in a few years. Most of us with the older Mustangs unless a collector car or classic obviosuly will have more money in our cars than what their worth, haha. Thats how I feel about my 96 GT, I have more in it than what it should considering the "value" of the car. I know at least what has been done, and it was all quality parts and labor. So I figure I may as well keep it and hand it down to my son one day rather than sell it at this point, unless the situation calls for it of course.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Nobody buys a car they don't like so with that said every car has a market of buyers. The car is worth what someone is willing to pay you can ask more and hold out or list a little low for a quick sale.

You have to remember that body style is at least 12 years old. Old enough to be a dime a dozen still but not old enough to be rare. Sure some foxes sell that high but buyers often have to sit on it for while to get it. I would also recommend taking off the mods and selling those are they are adding zero value to the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT