Blown head gasket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
xrsfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 117
Blown head gasket

The gasket was blown before I got the car. Flushed out the radiator & found the liquid metal. Mechanic said the head gasket was blown & they used that to cover it up.

What to do now ? Worth fixing or better to buy a whole new engine. Or get a new car
xrsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-25-2016, 05:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
How much are you into the car for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,604
Get labor estimates on both, unless you are doing the work. A PI pullout from a Vic is $500-$700 in real good shape with low mileage.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,530
Blown head gasket

I'm showing 8.9 hours of labor for both sides. "Includes: remove carbon and make all necessary adjustments. After engine removed." 04 GT.


Every day is a joyride.
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,604
If they are removing the engine it is likely going to be less labor for them to just swap in a good motor... and you can then knock off a huge chunk of mileage by going with a newer Vic/Marquis/Towncar pullout.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,530
Blown head gasket

R&R the engine.
Without transfer of parts:
12.9 manual
13.6 auto
With transfer of parts:
15.9 manual
16.6 auto
Includes: transfer of all fuel and electrical units. Dow not include transfer of optional equipment.
As Scotty said it will be cheaper to buy a junkyard engine and swap it.


Every day is a joyride.
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
fomoco4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Antioch
Region: California
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
I'm showing 8.9 hours of labor for both sides. "Includes: remove carbon and make all necessary adjustments. After engine removed." 04 GT.


Every day is a joyride.
Curious, what are he hourly labor rates? In cali they've now reached $100hr. I'm thinking late life career change lol

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,604
The mechanics don't see that much. Generally they'll get $20-$30 per shop hour. My father in law is a 25+ year master Honda tech at a HUUUGGGE dealer and he makes about $26/hr shop time. Now... he puts in about 70-90 shop hours per week because if book time says 8 hours and he is damn good and does it in 4, he gets all 8 hours and can work on something else. Customer still gets charged the 8. Kinda shady IMO but it is what it is.

But as far as labor rates here. Its like $100+ for a dealer per hour and about $90 from a good independent.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
fomoco4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Antioch
Region: California
Posts: 839
Wow, he'd make a lot more $$ here. **** I make $25hr as a custodian, pretty sure mechanics in cali are bringing in $45-60hr. Strange how much the same services vary in price from state to state, follows right along with the COLA. I love California, but it's kind of like its own damn country

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life View Post
Curious, what are he hourly labor rates? In cali they've now reached $100hr. I'm thinking late life career change lol

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

85 on most cars.


Adventure till you drop.
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
xrsfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Get labor estimates on both, unless you are doing the work. A PI pullout from a Vic is $500-$700 in real good shape with low mileage.

What year Vic ??
xrsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrsfx View Post
What year Vic ??
It was a 2005 Grand Marquis actually. 39k original miles. Inspected the motor and the car it was in prior to the pull and marked the engine in an uncommon spot so I knew it was the same one when they delivered it. $575 to my door, still had the coils too which was a bonus.

If you do get a replacement pullout motor, you want a 2004+ and the Vic variants are easily the best. They'll almost always be the best maintained and never beat on ones. Reason you want 04+ is that is when Ford went to the final revision PI heads with the 8 thread spark plug holes.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
xrsfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
It was a 2005 Grand Marquis actually. 39k original miles. Inspected the motor and the car it was in prior to the pull and marked the engine in an uncommon spot so I knew it was the same one when they delivered it. $575 to my door, still had the coils too which was a bonus.

If you do get a replacement pullout motor, you want a 2004+ and the Vic variants are easily the best. They'll almost always be the best maintained and never beat on ones. Reason you want 04+ is that is when Ford went to the final revision PI heads with the 8 thread spark plug holes.

I have an 04 Gt. Where can I get an engine for it ? The grand marquis will fit ?
xrsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,604
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Any 4.6L PI motor will work, you just need to bust it down to the longblock and swap your Mustang stuff over like the front cover, accessories, exhaust etc... But the block/heads/intake/cams are all the same.

The Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Town Car from 01 up all were PI motors but you want an 04+. You can obviously also use another Mustang motor but those will cost more money and are often going to be ran harder. There is also the 02-05 Explorer motor which gets you an aluminum block but those are going to be triple the cost of a Vic motor and likely have higher miles too.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
rdwelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Little Elm
Region: Texas
Posts: 50
There is a 2002 GT motor with 19,000 miles for sale on Facebook page "new edge mustangs"


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
rdwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
rdwelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Little Elm
Region: Texas
Posts: 50
New edge mustangs 99-04 parts for sale.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
rdwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
xrsfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Any 4.6L PI motor will work, you just need to bust it down to the longblock and swap your Mustang stuff over like the front cover, accessories, exhaust etc... But the block/heads/intake/cams are all the same.

The Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Town Car from 01 up all were PI motors but you want an 04+. You can obviously also use another Mustang motor but those will cost more money and are often going to be ran harder. There is also the 02-05 Explorer motor which gets you an aluminum block but those are going to be triple the cost of a Vic motor and likely have higher miles too.

Went onto eBay & found a couple engines. Lkq was selling most of them. Have you heard anything from them ? Wether their engines are good or not
xrsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blown Head Gasket BrandonL Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 15 03-19-2013 01:11 PM
Blown head gasket?!???!?? Robbiemustang96 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 14 11-18-2012 10:12 AM
03 with a blown head gasket Cdbformula 1996-2004 Mustang GT 6 08-06-2012 07:55 PM
Blown Head Gasket!!!! 08Mustang 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 4 04-26-2012 10:03 PM
How do i fix a blown head gasket on a 1965 Ford Mustang? garrick Classic Mustangs 8 08-29-2009 02:44 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



02:38 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.