Possible head gasket leak? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Possible head gasket leak?

Hey folks,

so today i noticed a burnt plastic kind of smell and light smoke while parked and popped the hood to see what was going on, the smell came from the drivers side of the engine, i just got home and jacked the car up to see what was going on and it seems like there is a reasonable amount of oil leaking from the back of the engine, drivers side, onto the long tube headers(see picture). It seems like the leak is where head and block meets so could this be a head gasket issue or just something as simple as the valve cover gasket where the oil just drips down. I tried to take a look at the back of the valve cover gasket but i did not see anything, there are lots of things in the way like firewall, master cylinder etc. It is a 2002 gt so it has a romeo block. Thanks

robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
Registered Member

Region: Washington
I could be way off on this but I think these things have leaky intake manifolds. Might be worth looking at.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Delaware
If it is anything like the 5.4 tritons and the 4.6 roms that are in the 98 to 01 or maybe up to 02/03. They have some screwed up defects from Ford. That they [Ford] claims doesn't effect the reliability of the motor. I am not sure if the Mustangs have the same issues but I think they may. My 98 expedition is having this issue now. Rear passenger and front driver. Driver side mostly goes back into motor. Not sure if I want to fix or upgrade.

Like nate said check the intake bolts first. Tighten them up a half turn or to spec, which ever one helps you sleep at night. Then check back for leaks after she has warmed up.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Man_tlac00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT