Which shocks/struts should I get - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Which shocks/struts should I get

Hey guys I'll be running H&R super sport springs, planning on getting Ito auto cross and occasional drag racing but also want good driveability. I have a lot of brick roads in my town.
Debating on either koni yellows KONI Adjustable Mustang Shock & Strut Kit 8741-1401Sport (94-04 GT, V6, Mach 1; 94-98 Cobra) - Free Shipping

Or Billisteins HDs
Bilstein HD Series Rear Mustang Shock 24-064187 (94-04 GT, V6, Mach 1; 94-98 Cobra) - Free Shipping

And struts
Bilstein HD Series Front Mustang Strut 35-041382 (87-04 All) - Free Shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 10:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I was literally in the same boat as you about 4 days ago. Went with the single adj. Koni Yellows (Sports) over the Bilsteins as I wanted adjustability for the track. I am also running Super Sports.

With the annual Koni sale the Sports are cheaper than the HD's so it's a no brainer if you want the adjustability. The HD's are not adjustable, however they are still a very good damper.

Either damper will work well with the Super Sports to provide a decent ride.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I think the Konis would be a grear choice since you want to autocross the car at some point and their on sale too!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016, 12:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

540$ on lmr. That's hard to beat. I think that's what I'll do. Now I know there are mixed emotions on isolators... I've heard people wrap the first cool with electrical tape. I needz all the lowwwww!!! Lol. Is it much noises running no isos?

Old 03-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you want more drop than just what the Super Sports offer you have two options:

1. Remove isos and wrap ends with tape. Also put a small amount of grease on the A arm perch and LCA perch. I did this on my 03 ~5 years ago and it's been fine.

2. Buy the Steeda X2 Balljoints and leave out the 1/2" supplied spacer. This will get you pretty low. If you are concerned about NVH leave the isos in.
If you go this route you might want to consider the 79-93 fox shocks/struts. They are shorter and will perform better overall.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 03-07-2016, 11:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
If you want more drop than just what the Super Sports offer you have two options:

1. Remove isos and wrap ends with tape. Also put a small amount of grease on the A arm perch and LCA perch. I did this on my 03 ~5 years ago and it's been fine.

2. Buy the Steeda X2 Balljoints and leave out the 1/2" supplied spacer. This will get you pretty low. If you are concerned about NVH leave the isos in.
If you go this route you might want to consider the 79-93 fox shocks/struts. They are shorter and will perform better overall.
Ive heard of people using the fox struts/shocks before. Are they using a quality dampner or using like a KYB or something along the lines of OEM? When I have seen this its usually to save some money and they use a OEM dampner and get the fox body ones to cut some costs and supposedly you have good results.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Ive heard of people using the fox struts/shocks before. Are they using a quality dampner or using like a KYB or something along the lines of OEM? When I have seen this its usually to save some money and they use a OEM dampner and get the fox body ones to cut some costs and supposedly you have good results.

I should have clarified. At that low of a drop he should consider the Koni Sports or STR.T's for a 79-93 fox body. They will offer the same performance as the 94-04s but be shorter and prevent the damper from constantly being compressed so much.

There are guys out there who run generic fox dampers to save a buck. Personally I would spend a bit more to get proper valving for better control and ride quality. The factory fox dampers may be shorter but they still aren't valved to handle Super Sports.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Bought the Konis. Getting reading to install them. I have H&R super sports, should I leave out the isos or wrap with electrical tape and grease them?

Old 03-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Here's mine with the H&R SS springs. Front isolators are removed but the rears are still installed. Note I do have a taller sidewall tire (275/40R18 ) up front
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457572611384.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	198039   Click image for larger version

Name:	1457572644727.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	198040  

Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Here's mine with the H&R SS springs. Front isolators are removed but the rears are still installed. Note I do have a taller sidewall tire (275/40R18 ) up front

Damn diggin those wheels. I'm on 315/35-17s out back255/45-17s up front Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1457618423.534289.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	198054

Old 03-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

This is my 03 with Super Sports also with no isos up front and one in the rear. I'm running 245/45/17's and 315/35/17's.

I dropped her 5 years ago and have been very happy with the results. I have had to change my driving habits since then. There are some entryways I cannot enter without scraping so I park elsewhere. Same for the concrete barriers. My chin spoiler hasn't suffered too much abuse.

Leave the isos in and if you want a tad more drop take them out. It takes all of 10 minutes to pop the springs out.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I should have clarified. At that low of a drop he should consider the Koni Sports or STR.T's for a 79-93 fox body. They will offer the same performance as the 94-04s but be shorter and prevent the damper from constantly being compressed so much.

There are guys out there who run generic fox dampers to save a buck. Personally I would spend a bit more to get proper valving for better control and ride quality. The factory fox dampers may be shorter but they still aren't valved to handle Super Sports.
I agree. I have seen the Fox dampner trick a ton over the years. Always wondered how it rode? Im probably gonna break-down and get at least Tokico HP or Koni STR.T struts for mine, even if Im only going 1.5 lower. Just peace of mind and dont want it to ride like crap.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is my 03 with Super Sports also with no isos up front and one in the rear. I'm running 245/45/17's and 315/35/17's.

I dropped her 5 years ago and have been very happy with the results. I have had to change my driving habits since then. There are some entryways I cannot enter without scraping so I park elsewhere. Same for the concrete barriers. My chin spoiler hasn't suffered too much abuse.

Leave the isos in and if you want a tad more drop take them out. It takes all of 10 minutes to pop the springs out.
That looks just about perfect to me.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
I agree. I have seen the Fox dampner trick a ton over the years. Always wondered how it rode? Im probably gonna break-down and get at least Tokico HP or Koni STR.T struts for mine, even if Im only going 1.5 lower. Just peace of mind and dont want it to ride like crap.

I have Tokico HP's on my 03 with Super Sports. I would say they are at their limits with those springs. They have held up so far, though I've only put maybe 20k miles on them over the last 5 years.

That being said I would go with the STR.T's. They are valved to handle springs like H&R Super Sports, so if you decided on a more extreme drop they could handle it. Also, they come with a lifetime warranty. And from what I've heard, far better customer service too.

My brother in law is getting my SR springs and is pairing them with Koni STR.T
s. Should be a nice performing/riding combination for a 1.5" drop.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Really debating just leaving all my isos out and I've heard wrapping the first coil with electrical tape and grease keeps noise down instead of using the isos but I've never tried. How is the noise without isos?

Old 03-10-2016, 07:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO5T5NIPER View Post
Really debating just leaving all my isos out and I've heard wrapping the first coil with electrical tape and grease keeps noise down instead of using the isos but I've never tried. How is the noise without isos?

I've never had any noise from running without iso's and this is the 4th car I've removed them from.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've never had any noise from running without iso's and this is the 4th car I've removed them from.

Ok sounds good I'm gonna leave then out. Now do u remember the pigtail on the spring not sitting flush against the rear control arm? I'm assuming it's because it's still in the air and the spring isn't settled, but I bolted the control arm up do the spring is compressed but the pigtail isn't sitting flush yet

Old 03-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok sounds good I'm gonna leave then out. Now do u remember the pigtail on the spring not sitting flush against the rear control arm? I'm assuming it's because it's still in the air and the spring isn't settled, but I bolted the control arm up do the spring is compressed but the pigtail isn't sitting flush yet

I think those were the only ones that I left in, because of that reason.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think those were the only ones that I left in, because of that reason.

I have the isos in the rear on right now; pigtail still isn't flush

Old 03-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have the isos in the rear on right now; pigtail still isn't flush

Ok, once you get it on the ground the pigtail should sit flush.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My springs are setup up exactly like that on my 03 and it's been fine for over 5 years. There is no tape on the SR's on my Mach and they are quiet too.

Quote:

The pigtail should be orientated towards the drivers side for both springs. It should rest in the groove on the LCA perch and fully settle once the full weight of the car is on them. Just realized you posted this last night, I'm assuming it worked out.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My springs are setup up exactly like that on my 03 and it's been fine for over 5 years. There is no tape on the SR's on my Mach and they are quiet too.

The pigtail should be orientated towards the drivers side for both springs. It should rest in the groove on the LCA perch and fully settle once the full weight of the car is on them. Just realized you posted this last night, I'm assuming it worked out.

Yup! Got the rear done. The pigtail sat flush once I put the full weight of the car on it. I decided to leave the bottom isos in since they are already so thin but I wrapped the first top coil with silicone vinyl wrap and electrical tape. Drove it down some brick roads and didn't notice any noise so that's good. Gonna do the front tomorrow. I have steeda x2 ball joints. I hear a lot of people take out the spacer on the ball joints for more low but I think I'll leave mine in. The back already sits pretty low lol and it's not even settled

Old 03-12-2016, 12:39 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I hear ya on the 1/2 spacer with the roads around me its risky to go even lower in the front. We will need pics asap when youre done tomorrow, no excuses, lol

Old 03-12-2016, 01:10 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know what you guys mean about too low, I personally think these cars can handle going extremely low without too much of an issue. My old Corvette was way lower than most New Edge's will ever get and I got around just fine
Old 03-12-2016, 06:46 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't know what you guys mean about too low, I personally think these cars can handle going extremely low without too much of an issue. My old Corvette was way lower than most New Edge's will ever get and I got around just fine
Have you ever driven on Michigan roads? I do beleive we are ranked the worst roads in the country, or are very close. Basically driving around here is like a constant auto x around the pot holes. Its seriously ridiculous. Ive had a ton of friends and family come from out of state and they cant beleive it. Its pretty damn bad. The biggest reason I leased a truck this winter. I blew out 2 tires on my old daily before we were even half way through winter in pot holes, and had it happen 2 times each of the 2 winters before that. There is a black hole when it comes to our roads budget here, no one can figure it out.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

At least u get to test out ur sweet new suspension going around potholes.... Here in kansas, straight roads as far as u can see.. So boring

Old 03-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
If you go to low, you end up on a non-ideal position of your camber and toe curves (plus for those who really want to get into suspension, we can talk about moving your roll center too low, causing both to long of a roll couple, and roll center migration, and as a result, a significant increase in roll generation). For example, the C5 Corvette, is actually ideal at the factory ride height, and unless you install a several thousand dollar set of drop links to adjust the roll center by moving the outer mount points of the lower control arms, the car corners significantly worse when lowered.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Are you running any aftermarket ball joints? I have steeda x2s I'm putting in. Wondering if I keep the bottom iso and wrapping the top in electrical tape up front and leaving out the steeda spacers if it'll be too low. I think I read leaving h&r ball joint spacers out is another 1/4 to 1/2 drop

Old 03-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are you running any aftermarket ball joints? I have steeda x2s I'm putting in. Wondering if I keep the bottom iso and wrapping the top in electrical tape up front and leaving out the steeda spacers if it'll be too low. I think I read leaving h&r ball joint spacers out is another 1/4 to 1/2 drop

I have the Steeda X2's but I left the spacer in. I figured after leaving the isos out the car would already be slightly lower than the advertised amount, an extra 1/4-1/2" might be excessive.

That plan you stated could work, I think it depends on whether you are re-using your previous iso or are installing a new polyurethane one. A new one will be taller, but you have to remember that eventually the iso itself will settle and crush or form to the spring's resting position in the perch. So it may reduce the actual amount it is raising the car, if that makes sense.

If you remove at least one iso I would leave the spacer in. Especially if your goal is driveability. Low hanging exhaust and your chin spoiler will suffer with a drop over 2".

Old 03-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have the Steeda X2's but I left the spacer in. I figured after leaving the isos out the car would already be slightly lower than the advertised amount, an extra 1/4-1/2" might be excessive.

That plan you stated could work, I think it depends on whether you are re-using your previous iso or are installing a new polyurethane one. A new one will be taller, but you have to remember that eventually the iso itself will settle and crush or form to the spring's resting position in the perch. So it may reduce the actual amount it is raising the car, if that makes sense.

If you remove at least one iso I would leave the spacer in. Especially if your goal is driveability. Low hanging exhaust and your chin spoiler will suffer with a drop over 2".

Did u just go to a parts store and rent a ball joint press? Or do u own one?

Old 03-14-2016, 10:22 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I actually had a friend who owned a local shop press them in and install. He had the tool and did it after hours for a case of beer lol.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:51 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Man this install is a lot more frustrating than I anticipated.. Had a absolute awful time removing the ball joint. Even had a press but of course the opening on the press was a hair too small to fit all the spacers. Finally managed to get it after torching the ball joint bolt in half to create more room. The steeda ones pressed in fine tho. Now putting in MM caster camber plates and when installing the koni strut, the opening where the strut bolts to the spindle is too small to fit on the spindle lmao. So gonna have to squeeze those together to create space.. Oh well. It's 1am and I have to work a 6-6 tomorrow.... Fml

Old 03-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

The gap between the two formed flanges was fairly tight on mine as well. With a bit of "persuasion" they fell right in. It also helps to have a third hand to position the strut and spindle while jacking the a-arm up a little.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:13 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Well I screwed up. Figured since I was installing the steeda ball joints along with the springs, I would have plenty of drop. So I left the isolators in on the front. Big mistake lol. The front sits noticeably higher than the back (bottom isolator only). First pic is front, second is backClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458540756.343825.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	198504Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458540769.626338.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	198505

Old 03-21-2016, 05:11 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Did you install the spacers on the Steeda Ball joints?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT