Suspension upgrades. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Suspension upgrades.

Finally got my state tax refund back and I ordered some upgraded suspension parts. Ordered a pair of Steeda rear lower control arms. TJ recommended the standard steel ones for my application.

Also saw American Muscle had Ford Racing lowering springs on sale so I grabbed a set of them.

Looking forward to getting rid of some wheel hop and the 4x4 stance.

How the car sits now.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
cant wait to see the after!
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Cool! Car looks real clean. Always liked that color.

Can ditch the factory quad shocks after installing the new LCA's.
Which FRPP Springs did you go with? C's?

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Cool! Car looks real clean. Always liked that color.

Can ditch the factory quad shocks after installing the new LCA's.
Which FRPP Springs did you go with? C's?
Yes. Went with the C springs. After sale price and discount they were $165.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Nice. Those will tighten up some of the fender gap but aren't so extreme that you need to revamp the entire suspension.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 03-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ordered some energy suspension spring isolators since I'm sure the factory ones are pretty much gone. According to the product info they should lower the car about an inch on all 4 corners. Will I need to purchase adjustable cast/camber plates to make my alignment good after the drop? Some people say I should be OK. Some say I should buy them just in case.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well, every car is different. The general consensus in the 99-04 community is that 90% of the time a drop less than 1.375-1.5" won't require aftermarket plates, despite the factory plates having virtually no adjustment built in.

You could do it two ways.

1. Buy the CC plates to be safe. Take the car in for an alignment and see if the shop can get into spec without them. If so, you can simply return the plates.

2. Or you can roll the dice, hold off on the plates and get the alignment. If the shop cannot get into spec you'll have to buy them and pay for another alignment. Worst case is you are out whatever the first alignment cost.

If it were me, I would pick up a set of plates to be safe. If you buy them from a reputable vendor, there should be no issue with returning them N.I.B.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
do it once, do it right. Get a set of plates. Plus then you can add in some custom specs for it to handle a bit better without sacrificing drivability or tire life.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I dont think you will need the plates with a 1" drop, unless you want them for adjustability or performance reasons later on. If you get plates, do yourself a favor and get the MM ones. Dont try to save a little bit of money buying another brand, ask me how I know!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Im starting to question the way now I was going to lower my 03 soonish. I was going to go 1.5" maybe with no isos as well, new ball joints, alignment, and call it good. But now with the sale on Koni STR.T products Im changing it up I think. Going to get new Koni struts, maybe Eibach Sportlines (off of craigslist new in box for 150-175), or another flavor of springs a little lower than 1.5", new ball joints, CC plates, and alignment. Roll with the new shocks in the back for now since they are easy to change later on and I'll have more funds too. But I question driveability on my crap roads and maybe should still stick with the SRs for the 1.5" drop, decisions, decisions. Its tough to decide!

Old 03-11-2016, 12:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Im starting to question the way now I was going to lower my 03 soonish. I was going to go 1.5" maybe with no isos as well, new ball joints, alignment, and call it good. But now with the sale on Koni STR.T products Im changing it up I think. Going to get new Koni struts, maybe Eibach Sportlines (off of craigslist new in box for 150-175), or another flavor of springs a little lower than 1.5", new ball joints, CC plates, and alignment. Roll with the new shocks in the back for now since they are easy to change later on and I'll have more funds too. But I question driveability on my crap roads and maybe should still stick with the SRs for the 1.5" drop, decisions, decisions. Its tough to decide!

I still have some time to figure out what I'm going to do. There is still 2 feet of snow blocking the garage door to where my mustang is stored at. According to tracking information the control arms will be here next Tuesday. The springs are still waiting for pickup from American muscle according to that tracking number.

I also plan on adding new rear shocks in the rear and eliminating the quad shock.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post

As someone who has a mustang with a 2" drop and one with a 1.5" drop I can give some real world feedback lol.

03: Super Sports, Tokico HP's, MM 4 bolt CC plates, X2's, no isos.
- 2" drop, stiffer ride. Usually avoid crap roads with potholes and severe crowning. Avoid steep entryways to save chin spoiler. Is not a daily so these "inconveniences" don't bother me.

04: SR Springs, Factory Tokicos and CC plates, no isos
- 1.6" drop, soft, stock like ride. Can still clear steep entryways with my chin spoiler and doesn't bottom out everywhere.

Lowering height is like exhaust, it's subjective. Some guys prefer slammed, others prefer stock height etc.

While the ride height on the Mach is a bit more convenient, I absolutely love the killer stance a 2" drop gives. So much so I am switching my Mach over to the same setup in about 4 hours lol. Only I went with Koni Yellows (Sports) over the HP's and STR.T's because I wanted adjustability. The STR.T's are an excellent choice if you don't need adjustability. I'd choose them over Tokicos.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ordered the rear spring isolators. American muscle had their SR performance ones for cheap. I'm sure they will work just fine.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Springs showed up today.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Control arms showed up today.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspeed7x View Post

Control arms showed up today.

Sweet! Are those Steedas?

Old 03-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sweet! Are those Steedas?
They sure are!

Old 03-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome. Have to let us know how well they installed and perform. I plan on getting a set of LCA's this summer.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Have you installed the lowering springs yet?
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:25 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
As someone who has a mustang with a 2" drop and one with a 1.5" drop I can give some real world feedback lol.

03: Super Sports, Tokico HP's, MM 4 bolt CC plates, X2's, no isos.
- 2" drop, stiffer ride. Usually avoid crap roads with potholes and severe crowning. Avoid steep entryways to save chin spoiler. Is not a daily so these "inconveniences" don't bother me.

04: SR Springs, Factory Tokicos and CC plates, no isos
- 1.6" drop, soft, stock like ride. Can still clear steep entryways with my chin spoiler and doesn't bottom out everywhere.

Lowering height is like exhaust, it's subjective. Some guys prefer slammed, others prefer stock height etc.

While the ride height on the Mach is a bit more convenient, I absolutely love the killer stance a 2" drop gives. So much so I am switching my Mach over to the same setup in about 4 hours lol. Only I went with Koni Yellows (Sports) over the HP's and STR.T's because I wanted adjustability. The STR.T's are an excellent choice if you don't need adjustability. I'd choose them over Tokicos.
Also has to do on your location, I know for a fact you won't see a car slammed up north like you would in South Florida lol.I'm on KW coils with CC plates about a 3" 5" rear drop and love it lol
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Awesome. Have to let us know how well they installed and perform. I plan on getting a set of LCA's this summer.
I have them on the current car and I had them on the blue 98 GT. I had MM LCAs on my 95 Cobra. The Steedas are every bit as good for less money.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSFROMERIK View Post
Also has to do on your location, I know for a fact you won't see a car slammed up north like you would in South Florida lol.I'm on KW coils with CC plates about a 3" 5" rear drop and love it lol
Oh there are cars with a drop like yours up here. But it's mainly the import crowd, not mustangs. I have seen a couple S197 Coyotes slammed on coils/bags at a few shows but not nearly as many as down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I have them on the current car and I had them on the blue 98 GT. I had MM LCAs on my 95 Cobra. The Steedas are every bit as good for less money.
Good to know. I am partial to MM, they make very good products, however I am not opposed to other quality products, especially if they're less money!. The Steeda products I currently own have all been excellent.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm partial to MM as well but I'm not a brand loyal zealot lol. Not saying anyone here is. I honestly may UPR K my car as much as I nutswing on MM.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Sonic, how hard is it to do a 1.6" drop on a 2003 GT vert?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
rdwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:18 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwelch View Post
Sonic, how hard is it to do a 1.6" drop on a 2003 GT vert?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Im not Sonic, but he said to achieve a 1.6" on his Mach 1 he used SR lowering springs, no isos just use elec tape on the first 6" of the coil on both ends. That is anywhere between 1.6-1.7 lower. He had the stock Tokico dampners on the Mach.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
I'm partial to MM as well but I'm not a brand loyal zealot lol. Not saying anyone here is. I honestly may UPR K my car as much as I nutswing on MM.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BLASPHEMY

Go take a time out in the corner and think about what you just said.

HID end all thread
Old 04-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
BLASPHEMY

Go take a time out in the corner and think about what you just said.
Lol for a street only car its fine. For road race/autox, no way in hell.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Lol for a street only car its fine. For road race/autox, no way in hell.
At least get Team Z if you are going that route.

Being a street car is even more of a reason to get MM IMO. It is built the strongest out of all of them.

HID end all thread
Old 04-02-2016, 12:40 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't gotten the parts installed yet. Mother nature played a nasty April fools joke. Dropped 3" of snow. My driveway is never gonna harden up.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:47 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspeed7x View Post
Finally got my state tax refund back and I ordered some upgraded suspension parts. Ordered a pair of Steeda rear lower control arms. TJ recommended the standard steel ones for my application.

Also saw American Muscle had Ford Racing lowering springs on sale so I grabbed a set of them.

Looking forward to getting rid of some wheel hop and the 4x4 stance.

How the car sits now.

Do you run in the front by any chance ?? What tire size do you have

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Rub
xrsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrsfx View Post

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Rub
245/45ZR17 front
275/40ZR17 rear (not mounted in this pic)

Old 04-05-2016, 12:09 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrsfx View Post

Rub
Shouldnt rub with a 245 45 17 unless you are like 2.5" or more lower, from what I have seen. Phatspeeds fronts dont look like they have a crazy amount of gap tho in that pic? Maybe its the angle or the way its parked? Usually 17" wheels with stock tires it looks like much more gap, like mine currently, haha.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1459832954977.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	199282  
Old 04-05-2016, 06:24 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Got the springs installed. Went with energy suspension isolators. Car looks a little lower. I'm sure once it settles it will look good. Install took about 4hrs with just basic hand tools and my buddy Kirk watching most of the time. Lol

Old 04-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Old 04-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

How much is the drop on those springs?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT