Help on 2000 GT convertible modification - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #1

Region: California
Help on 2000 GT convertible modification

Hello,

I own a 2000 ford mustang GT convertible and I am looking to make some few changes in 2 month.

I need to change my clutch who start to smell burn and is really hard to push. My car is stock so I don't need a crazy stage 2 clutch. Just something better than the original that will upgrade my car a little. Can anyone give me some advice and show me what to buy exactly?

Concerning the suspension kit or handling kit: the stock one are getting old. I want to change them in order to improve handling but also lower the car. I am looking to take the chance to lower the car by 1 or 2 inchees. I read a lot of people saying that is not to good for the car to lower it too much ?

Also some people say that is good to change Front and rear spring insulators and castor/camber plate when changing suspension and lowering.

Why should we change it ? Cause it will handle better or because it's essential for the car ?

I don't want to put to much money and don't want to change those expensive piece, will that be bad ? Any advice

Here is the suspension kit I am looking at : http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach...rt-9404gt.html

But that the only one I can find. Theire is none lowering more than 1.4 ..

Are the sway bar really important to change since I believed there is already some on the car originally or is it better to save that money for somethings else?

I don't do track racing but I like to drive in a "dynamic/agressive" way, and I am not to good at mechanics.

Thanks everyone for the time you have spent reading my horrible english writing and thanks for the time you will spend answering it.( i'm from France originally)

Can't wait to receive great advice from some knowledgeable people

Have a good day.
nicocali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Bienvenue nicocali!

It sounds like you don't really need anything more than a stock style clutch setup. The Exedy clutches seem popular. I recommend replacing the Throw Out Bearing and the Pilot Bearing with OEM Ford parts that are either purchased from your local Ford dealership, or at least Ford Racing parts. You may as well replace the clutch fork, pivot ball, and clutch cable also. The clutch cable needs to be an OEM Ford part as well.
I, personally, wouldn't purchase that Eibach suspension kit. All you really need is a set of springs and some new shocks/struts. The sway bars aren't neccessary, your stock ones will work fine.
If you don't lower the car too much, you won't need the CC plates either. I recommend having a look at the Ford Racing C springs. They should only lower your car about 1.25-1.5 inches in the front. A set of Konis should be a good match for the springs.
The reason that some people say to not go too low, is because it makes the car more difficult to drive on a daily basis. The ride quality will suffer, and there can be problems with scraping the undercarriage of the car.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #3

Hello stray bullitt,

For the clutch I think I am going to choose the one your are talking about.
I found it on that web site Exedy Mach 350 Stage 1 Mustang Clutch 7811 (86-Mid 01 GT; 93-98 Cobra) - Free Shipping
and it comes with the throw out bearing and the pilot bearing.

Concerning the spring with shocks and struts, can you show me exactly what to buy with a link ti the product. DO you believed its better than if I get the Eibach individually without the sway bar ?

Thanks for your time,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That clutch will work good, but I'm not sure which bearings that they use in that kit.
It is very important to use the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Throw Out Bearing and pilot bearing, to ensure your best chance at a long lasting clutch replacement. If either of those bearings fail, it will require removal of the transmission to replace them. Your best bet is to buy just the clutch, and purchase the two bearings directly from Ford.

I'm not a fan of Eibach because they have had a problem with their springs breaking. Here are the Ford Racing C springs. They are currently out of stock at American Muscle but plenty of other vendors sell them. http://www.americanmuscle.com/forac....blue&GID=24006

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-16-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

And here are the Koni shocks/struts. The yellow ones are adjustable
http://www.americanmuscle.com/koni-m...MN7w&gclsrc=ds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #6

Ok thanks,

looks good. DO you believed the adjustable one are better not considering the fact that you can adjust them.

I want good handling performance when driving fast but don't know to be playing the mechanics trying to adjust them.

Thanks for your time
Old 03-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The nice thing about the adjustable shocks is that you can significantly "soften" the damping for daily driving and stiffen them for performance driving. The Konis are very easy to adjust, and it is not difficult to learn how to fine tune them to suit your needs.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

And it is a good idea to have all of the front end components inspected to make sure that all of the bushings, tie rods, ball joints, etc. are all in good condition, and nothing is worn out.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #9

In order to save some money I was looking at that setup. Can you tell me what you think.

Shocks and struts : Eibach Pro-Damper Mustang Shock & Struts ( V6, 79-04 V8 excl. IRS cobra) 3514.84 (79-04 V8; 94-04 V6; Excludes 99-04 Cobra) - Free Shipping

Springs : SR Performance Mustang Lowering Springs - Coupe 53150 (79-04 GT, Mach 1, 93-98 Cobra) - Free Shipping

But i believed I need to change camber plates since it drops it by 1.5"

Thanks for your time again,

just trying to get the best bang for my bucks, but if the other setup is way better i will prefer add the extra $200 in order to have better quality and longer lasting product.. But only if its really a big difference
Old 03-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. The SR springs are very popular. And I don't see any problem with the Eibach shocks/struts.
I think that setup will be a good upgrade from stock.

The only thing is that you may need to purchase caster/camber plates to get the alignment specs within tolerance. Those springs will probably lower your convertible a little bit more than a coupe, because convertibles are a little heavier.
You could wait until you get the alignment checked after the springs are installed, and if you need the plates, you can buy and install them at that time.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #11

Hello, and thanks for your answer. I think I am going to go for these kit but maybe use other springs like those one: Eibach Pro Kit Mustang Spring Set 3530.14 (94-04 GT) - Free Shipping

Concerning the camber plates do you believed the one we can find on ebay or amazon for $80 will work well like those one
http://www.amazon.com/J-Power-Mustan...t+camber+plate

or do you think we need those one at a minimum SR Performance Mustang 3-Bolt Caster Camber Plates 41293 (94-04 All) - Free Shipping

I never knew about that piece on the past so I don't know what to look for or what will be the difference between a good or bad camber plate

thanks for your time again
Old 03-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicocali View Post
Hello, and thanks for your answer. I think I am going to go for these kit but maybe use other springs like those one: Eibach Pro Kit Mustang Spring Set 3530.14 (94-04 GT) - Free Shipping

Concerning the camber plates do you believed the one we can find on ebay or amazon for $80 will work well like those one
http://www.amazon.com/J-Power-Mustan...t+camber+plate

or do you think we need those one at a minimum SR Performance Mustang 3-Bolt Caster Camber Plates 41293 (94-04 All) - Free Shipping

I never knew about that piece on the past so I don't know what to look for or what will be the difference between a good or bad camber plate

thanks for your time again
Do not buy or use the SR CC plates they are complete garbage. I tried to save some money and use them and it was an awful experience. Returned them and got the Maximum Motorsports CC plates, night and day difference. Get nothing but MM plates. The SRs sounded like the strut was going to come thru my hood on the smallest of bumps.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Here are the shocks and struts I will be using with sr spring setup, they are on sale right now

https://lmr.com/item/KON-9404STRT/Ko...-Mustang-94-04

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Do not buy or use the SR CC plates they are complete garbage. I tried to save some money and use them and it was an awful experience. Returned them and got the Maximum Motorsports CC plates, night and day difference. Get nothing but MM plates. The SRs sounded like the strut was going to come thru my hood on the smallest of bumps.

Definitely DO NOT "cheap out" on the CC plates nicocali!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast408 View Post
Here are the shocks and struts I will be using with sr spring setup, they are on sale right now

https://lmr.com/item/KON-9404STRT/Ko...-Mustang-94-04

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Those are a good heavier duty set, will pair nice with your springs youre using. You may not even need CC plates with a 1.5" drop, many don't, its when you go past around 1.75" or so. Every car is a little different though. Maybe get a good set of Steeda ball joints or Moog while youre doing everything.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have the STR.T shocks on my 96 GT, their good I like them. Even at regular price their a good budget friendly option. I wonder how long the sale lasts, I really should get a set for my upcoming drop on my 03.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #17

Hi and thanks for your answers.

Now I don't know what to do, the SR performance CChave really good review but after what you tell me i don't know.
After according to what he say's if I lower no more than 1,75 inches I should be ok ?
I am looking to lower it 1.5 at most.

But thanks for everyone advice.
I think I would prefer to lower it only something like 1.25 inches, not having to buy CC plates and invest a little more money on better shocks struts and spring.

But these is only if I don't need CC plates.are you guy's sure i won't need cc plates in lower no more than 1.5". Because if I invest more on better shocks and struts and than I have to add 200 on cc plates>>>

Thanks for everyone advice, I appreciate your time
Old 03-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I have s 2001 Bullitt that came equipped from the factory with the Ford Racing C springs, and it can be aligned within the allowable tolerances without the use of caster/camber plates.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:10 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Some cars can be aligned with a 1.5" drop without CC plates, and some need them. Most research on the SN95s people say staying approx 1.5" with lowering springs you can get away with it and not need them. 1.5"-1.7" seems to be the sweet spot for not needing them, but some do as well. Could always use camber bolts for adj but Ive heard mixed things on them for sure, mostly failure issues, safety related things

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT