New Wheels Came in Wrong 03 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
New Wheels Came in Wrong 03 GT

Got 2 of my new MMD 551c wheels delivered today. American Muscle accidently shipped the wrong color. The 2 18x10s were shipped in matte black when I ordered silver. The fronts come Monday. I like the looks of the black wheels but their not on the car of course. Now Im thinking if I should go with the matte black ones? I think I still like the silver ones better because of the contrast of the black sidewall and the wheel. Black wheels can blend in with the sidewall and dont stand out enough to me, but on some they look good too. I dont know? Im sure I will get these exchanged for the ones I actually ordered, and AM always takes care of these things but thought I would get some opinions. Going on a silver 03 GT, it will be lowered around the time the wheels go on between 1.5" and 1.75" if that matters at all. I liked the charcoal MMDs the best but looks like their out of stock (were at the time I ordered during the big sale) but they dont show them in 18x9 or 10 anymore just 8.5 widths.

What color should I stick with??

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2016, 10:31 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I personally am not a huge fan of matte black wheels, maybe that's because it reminds me of plastidip and it makes them seem cheap to me. I'd rock the silver I think.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Matte black looks good on a silver car but only if there are some other black accents on it. Which is easily done with vinyl or some dip or any good paint shop.

I used to think dip was cheap too till I saw a few legit jobs in person. Done right it looks very top notch. IE, not out of a spray can.

Anyway, problem is going to be if AM does not have any in stock you might get stuck with store credit which would be teh suck. They may still have a some other stuff in stock on sale. If not... Dunno. I'm sure Alex will hook you up with something. If they are going to get those wheels back in stock I'd see if he could do some sort of rain check type thing where they hold the $281 and ship out as soon as the new stock arrives.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2016, 11:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Matte black looks good on a silver car but only if there are some other black accents on it. Which is easily done with vinyl or some dip or any good paint shop.

I used to think dip was cheap too till I saw a few legit jobs in person. Done right it looks very top notch. IE, not out of a spray can.

Anyway, problem is going to be if AM does not have any in stock you might get stuck with store credit which would be teh suck. They may still have a some other stuff in stock on sale. If not... Dunno. I'm sure Alex will hook you up with something. If they are going to get those wheels back in stock I'd see if he could do some sort of rain check type thing where they hold the $281 and ship out as soon as the new stock arrives.
Yeah me too. They show the silver ones in stock now where they didnt just like 2 days ago. I dont know how many black accents Im going with. I know Im probably going to do the black deck lid, maybe the honeycomb one, but I was trying to find one that was smooth but installed the same as the honeycomb one where its not a decal. Anyway Ill call them tomorrow it was too late tonight by the time I opened the 2 boxes to check them. It looks like the charcoal ones wont be available anymore through them.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

This is kind of what I mean about the black. I really like other matte black things but wheels maybe need to be gloss to have some shine. I also like black when there is a polished lip to break up the sidewall and the the wheel.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

If I get decent at plastidip I may try the trunk lid, most likely Ill order a kit and plasti dip the lower rear valance. I dont like a ton of accents but some, has to be minimal for me usually. Nice and clean.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Was getting ready to buy tires but Im gonna hold off now and make sure I can get the correct wheels I ordered first.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Think Im gonna stick with 275 35 18s and 285 35 18s for the tires. If this doesnt work out cause I have that kind of luck I would keep the matte wheels and sell them or use them on one of the Mustangs.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I personally am not a huge fan of matte black wheels, maybe that's because it reminds me of plastidip and it makes them seem cheap to me. I'd rock the silver I think.
To us oldies black wheels look like you took off the hubcaps. Virtually every car had black panted steel wheels under those hubcaps back then.
Fast cars had mags or chrome wire wheels. That's why I prefer silver or polished wheels on my mustang.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:10 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
To us oldies black wheels look like you took off the hubcaps. Virtually every car had black panted steel wheels under those hubcaps back then.
Fast cars had mags or chrome wire wheels. That's why I prefer silver or polished wheels on my mustang.
Makes sense to me, I know what youre talking about. I actually like painted steel wheels on some of the 50s-70s cars/trucks they look tuff to me, haha. I appreciate the feedback

Old 03-19-2016, 01:01 AM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
New Wheels Came in Wrong 03 GT

I plan on dipping my wheels crazy colors. I'll be using them as track wheels, so why not lol. I got the silver AMRs 18x10 all around. There are hundreds of different colors that can be done, using different bases and top coats and then finishes over that (pearl, metalizer, glossifier etc..)
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458367278.544789.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	198400

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:24 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

I wasn't knocking plastidip entirely by what I said just for the record. I have defended the use of plastidip many times on the forum. It needs to be done right, and to Scottys point generally people with a rattle can don't achieve a decent finish. But sadly those that have abused the dip typically it's to do wheels black. It's like a beginners mod. So everytime I see a set of matte black wheels I always cringe because 9/10 are a hack dip job. Anyway, I didn't mean to derail the thread.

Soccer, I'm all about some crazy wheel dip colors for your track set and or some fun. Especially on a set that cost you less than 200 bucks. Dip away kind sir. 😎🤘🏻
Old 03-19-2016, 04:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I talked to american muscle today. They do still have the silver wheels in the 18x10s in stock and will ship them to me as soon as I ship the wrong ones out ups. Have the return labels and stuff already. They said they had a couple people get the black matte ones that ordered the silver like me. Wonder what the issue is or was.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Its a hassle but at least it will be taken car of eventually

Old 03-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I wasn't knocking plastidip entirely by what I said just for the record. I have defended the use of plastidip many times on the forum. It needs to be done right, and to Scottys point generally people with a rattle can don't achieve a decent finish. But sadly those that have abused the dip typically it's to do wheels black. It's like a beginners mod. So everytime I see a set of matte black wheels I always cringe because 9/10 are a hack dip job. Anyway, I didn't mean to derail the thread.

Soccer, I'm all about some crazy wheel dip colors for your track set and or some fun. Especially on a set that cost you less than 200 bucks. Dip away kind sir. 😎🤘🏻
They are back to normal prices today and they cost almost as much for 1 wheel as i got for the whole set. I'm kicking myself for not buying more of them lol.

HID end all thread
Old 03-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
They are back to normal prices today and they cost almost as much for 1 wheel as i got for the whole set. I'm kicking myself for not buying more of them lol.
I know its still hard for me to believe. I got mine for 82 more than just what 1 wheel would have cost me. They need to have a sale like that on some other things.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
I know its still hard for me to believe. I got mine for 82 more than just what 1 wheel would have cost me. They need to have a sale like that on some other things.

No they don't. I didn't even want to buy them in the first place lol. They made me spend my money lmao.

HID end all thread
Old 03-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No they don't. I didn't even want to buy them in the first place lol. They made me spend my money lmao.
Hahha. I know what you mean. I wasnt planning on buying anything until the end of the month early april, but couldnt resist the price. I would have kicked myself if I didnt order them during the sale.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

And even at the prices they were Im sure they still made a little margin on them, thats the sick part.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Same. The wheels i got i've been eyeing every single time they go on sale, which is generally around $100. I saw them at $49.99 and i just had to. Put it on paypal credit, and now i'll sell my stock wheels and more than make up for the $188 i spent, and have a bit left to put toward my clutch that i bought.

But now i have to deal with getting tires for them, as they are 18x10 and sticky tires for those are pricey lol.

HID end all thread
Old 03-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

I resisted the temptation. I'm going to wait till I'm ready, the car runs and I'll buy the wheels I want vs settling. Not that anyone here settled... but I feel I would have...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Same. The wheels i got i've been eyeing every single time they go on sale, which is generally around $100. I saw them at $49.99 and i just had to. Put it on paypal credit, and now i'll sell my stock wheels and more than make up for the $188 i spent, and have a bit left to put toward my clutch that i bought.

But now i have to deal with getting tires for them, as they are 18x10 and sticky tires for those are pricey lol.
Yeah Im sure the tires you need are pricey, Im gonna just go with Sumis until I have a reason for something stickier in the rear. I was going to get 17s but the sale made up my mind for me real quick. Im going to hold off until they ship me the right ones then Ill order the tires after that. Then onto lowering it with springs. Probably going to go lower than I originally intended now, the MMD wheels will look better I think the lower the car is. So Ill end up getting at least better struts in the front, ball joints, and CC plates too, before I was just going to use SR springs. The car has new OEM dampners but I know going below 1.5-1.6 with half the isos out they will prob wear out. But maybe I can get away with them for a couple seasons then upgrade. Just seasonal nice day driving, no auto x or drag racing so I probably would be ok, going with H&Rs SS or Sportlines for a bit I think.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I resisted the temptation. I'm going to wait till I'm ready, the car runs and I'll buy the wheels I want vs settling. Not that anyone here settled... but I feel I would have...
That makes sense I know what you mean. In my case they were actually wheels I wanted but wasnt considering because of my budget Im going to be trying to work with. I would do the same if I were you too, concentrate all funds/energy on getting her going then worry about wheels and such later on down the road. There will be other deals. I know AM has done this before around the same time of year too right? I remember someone on here mentioning it before.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:42 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

2nd order came in today to replace the wrong color, and its the same, they shipped matte BLACK again!!! This is getting pretty annoying now.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Going to call when I get a chance. Starting to get old making calls, printing labels, reboxing, and running to the UPS store!

Old 03-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

They really want you to have black. Hahaha
Old 03-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I guess so!

Old 03-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

But I thought once you go black... eh nm.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Hahaha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT