3.73 gears installed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2016, 11:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
3.73 gears installed

Hi everyone i just got my gears installed today, the guy told me to take it easy for the first 500 miles to break in nothing over 50 and also that after 500 miles i have to change the oil again because of loose metal parts or something but somehow I m not too impressed, I was expecting a little quicker acceleration.... like maybe I should of went 4.10s also do you guys know about how much the speedometer is off with the 3.73s? I can t tell it seems normal

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 01:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
This is why Im glad I went with 410s on my 96. I was undecided and had several people tell me to go 410 if I was doing it so I got more bang for my buck. But Im sure once you get on it good after the "break in" you will feel a difference. When I got mine installed I used a Ford Racing kit from AM, and had a ring and pinion only shop near me do them, they told me no break in and change the fluid at regular intervals. I listened to them and tore right out of there, I could tell the diff right away though. Maybe thats because its a slow NPI car, anyway haha. If installed right, quality parts etc, you shouldnt really need a break in period on them, at least thats what they told me. Mine came with a 90 day warranty on the labor so they were pretty confident that I wouldn't have any issues. Again this was from a family owned for 60 yrs ring and pinion shop only (they will do some other minor repairs) and the guy that did them, has been doing them for 35 yrs. He told me all this when I questioned about a break in period like Ive seen with others. My brother had his Mustang and Chevelle done there and they told him the same thing years ago.

Anyway give it some time if you want to take them up on the break in period and then see how she feels. I know it sucks when you question if you should have gone another route. My speedo is off even with the new speedo gear by about 6 or 7 mph when doing 70, when doing 40-50 its off by roughly 5 mph. The faster you go the more it will be off, at least that's how mine is. Mine can't be corrected by a tuner tho, since its a 96, need a speedcal installed to make it right. I just keep up with traffic or go 5 under the posted speed if there isnt any. Hasnt bothered me much but I dont DD it either. You can get a tuner and adjust it from it as well, be a good purchase if your planning on more mods down the road and to get a few more ponies out of her.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you have FRPP gears you don't need to worry about a break in. Yes your speedo will be off, you need to get it changed in the tune.

What else is done to the car? There is a big difference between 3.27s and 3.73s for acceleration but if the rest of the car is stock it will not be so drastic.

And yes I would have gone 4.10s.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
3.73 are pretty good gears. I really appreciated them because I went from 2.73 to them and what a difference!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you have FRPP gears you don't need to worry about a break in. Yes your speedo will be off, you need to get it changed in the tune.

What else is done to the car? There is a big difference between 3.27s and 3.73s for acceleration but if the rest of the car is stock it will not be so drastic.

And yes I would have gone 4.10s.
They are frpp gears and other bolt ons i have are a bbk throttle body 70mm the bbk cai and a pair of 40 series flowmaster that came with car and a mgw short shifter. So you think it d be ok to just romp on it with the frpp gears since you have more experience then me?

99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Old 03-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
This is why Im glad I went with 410s on my 96. I was undecided and had several people tell me to go 410 if I was doing it so I got more bang for my buck. But Im sure once you get on it good after the "break in" you will feel a difference. When I got mine installed I used a Ford Racing kit from AM, and had a ring and pinion only shop near me do them, they told me no break in and change the fluid at regular intervals. I listened to them and tore right out of there, I could tell the diff right away though. Maybe thats because its a slow NPI car, anyway haha. If installed right, quality parts etc, you shouldnt really need a break in period on them, at least thats what they told me. Mine came with a 90 day warranty on the labor so they were pretty confident that I wouldn't have any issues. Again this was from a family owned for 60 yrs ring and pinion shop only (they will do some other minor repairs) and the guy that did them, has been doing them for 35 yrs. He told me all this when I questioned about a break in period like Ive seen with others. My brother had his Mustang and Chevelle done there and they told him the same thing years ago.

Anyway give it some time if you want to take them up on the break in period and then see how she feels. I know it sucks when you question if you should have gone another route. My speedo is off even with the new speedo gear by about 6 or 7 mph when doing 70, when doing 40-50 its off by roughly 5 mph. The faster you go the more it will be off, at least that's how mine is. Mine can't be corrected by a tuner tho, since its a 96, need a speedcal installed to make it right. I just keep up with traffic or go 5 under the posted speed if there isnt any. Hasnt bothered me much but I dont DD it either. You can get a tuner and adjust it from it as well, be a good purchase if your planning on more mods down the road and to get a few more ponies out of her.

Steve have you heard about the new tuner from lmr? There s a video about it on youtube, i might have to save up for one of those

Old 03-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast408 View Post
They are frpp gears and other bolt ons i have are a bbk throttle body 70mm the bbk cai and a pair of 40 series flowmaster that came with car and a mgw short shifter. So you think it d be ok to just romp on it with the frpp gears since you have more experience then me?

Yes you will be fine. As long as they installed them correctly and set the right backlash etc...

Get a real catback, a good aftermarket mid pipe and a tune. That should wake it the hell up.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes you will be fine. As long as they installed them correctly and set the right backlash etc...

Get a real catback, a good aftermarket mid pipe and a tune. That should wake it the hell up.
I m thinking about the magnaflow magnapacks with a upr catted x pipe with an sct turner if i had more money right now

Old 03-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What do you think about the 500 mile break in, is it necessary to change the oil again after this?

Old 03-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
3.73 are pretty good gears. I really appreciated them because I went from 2.73 to them and what a difference!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
It would make a nice difference going from 2.73s instead of 3.27s

Old 03-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I m thinking about the magnaflow magnapacks with a upr catted x pipe with an sct turner if i had more money right now

Magnapacks are LOUD but will probably be ok with the catted pipe. That UPR pipe is the best pipe available for our cars with shorties BTW. Made by a shop called VRS in Florida. You can look them up, VRS exhaust. UPR is often out of stock. If UPR has them, use the checkout code SHAZAM for 5% off.

Quote:
What do you think about the 500 mile break in, is it necessary to change the oil again after this?

I never did but you can do it for peace of mind if you want. Ford doesn't suggest doing it 500 miles after buying a new car tho...

Quote:
It would make a nice difference going from 2.73s instead of 3.27s

It makes a bigger difference for sure.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Magnapacks are LOUD but will probably be ok with the catted pipe. That UPR pipe is the best pipe available for our cars with shorties BTW. Made by a shop called VRS in Florida. You can look them up, VRS exhaust. UPR is often out of stock. If UPR has them, use the checkout code SHAZAM for 5% off.

I never did but you can do it for peace of mind if you want. Ford doesn't suggest doing it 500 miles after buying a new car tho...

It makes a bigger difference for sure.
I should probably do it cause the shop didn t use the royal purple i provided, they used their own brand without asking me and saved my oil. They said since i need to replace it after the 500 mark that i could use it then

Old 03-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you still have the fluid go for it. Not going to cost you anything.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you still have the fluid go for it. Not going to cost you anything.
Should I add another bottle of the motorcraft frictioner when I swap out the gear oil at 500 miles or it doesn t need it?

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Its not my daily driver so I m barley 30 miles in

Old 03-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

You have royal purple it already has the friction modifier in it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

The shop that did my gears hates RP for some reason they wouldn't use it, the said it was junk, lol. Old school kind of dudes though. I cant remember why they didnt want to.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:32 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
You have royal purple it already has the friction modifier in it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
No they didn t use it. They put in their own stuff thinking they would save me money by saving it for me to use after the 500 mile break in so I still have the two bottles but they still charged me $21 for their gear oil.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:37 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The shop that did my gears hates RP for some reason they wouldn't use it, the said it was junk, lol. Old school kind of dudes though. I cant remember why they didnt want to

Did you ever change the gear oil after 500 miles?, its gonna take me a while to do those miles I mostly only have time to drive it on sundays lol since I have to drive a truck to work everyday.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:43 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I went Ford Racing 4.10 in my mustang. Car is so much fun. 1 gear just blazes tires (with bolt ons and a tune) I'm running an off-road H pipe and Flowmaster Super 10 series mufflers. 2500 rpm @ 75mph. It's loud.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you ever change the gear oil after 500 miles?, its gonna take me a while to do those miles I mostly only have time to drive it on sundays lol since I have to drive a truck to work everyday.

No I didnt change it.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone else not too cautions about the break period for gears?I m suppose to be taking it easy but today I ve been driving my car and just romping on it with 56 miles into the break in and I really wanna go onto the highway 😆

Old 03-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

When I did gears in my 89 I got right on it and had no issues for 6years

Mods: Upr Xpipe, Upr CAI, Ford Racing C Springs, Mach grill delete, Chin spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, Bama Tuned
Old 03-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When I did gears in my 89 I got right on it and had no issues for 6years

Mods: Upr Xpipe, Upr CAI, Ford Racing C Springs, Mach grill delete, Chin spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, Bama Tuned
Ok hopefully they get even better as they break in more lol

Old 03-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

They should how do they feel are they making any noise

Old 03-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

No there really quiet and they feel good but I was expecting faster response but I guess I gotta add more mods but today I sped up to 70mph on the express way and the rpm was at about 2200 on 5th gear, is that about right?

Old 03-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

That sounds about right. In my 96 with 410s in 5th at 70mph Im usually around 2350 or so.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That sounds about right. In my 96 with 410s in 5th at 70mph Im usually around 2350 or so.

Ok, another thing is I m not real good with manual transmission yet so I can t drive it as good as most people I 've seen on youtube who can chirps the wheels going from 1 to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, another thing is I m not real good with manual transmission yet so I can t drive it as good as most people I 've seen on youtube who can chirps the wheels going from 1 to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

Practice practice practice so that's why your not feeling a difference even though there just 373 once you get better at manual you'll feel the difference in the gears

Old 03-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Practice practice practice so that's why your not feeling a difference even though there just 373 once you get better at manual you'll feel the difference in the gears

Definitly with time I ll master the way the car handles and hopefully add more hp as I go along.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:03 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

You guys know about how much the speedometer is off if I m driving at 70mph and 2200 rmp am I really going 60 or 65mph?

Old 03-27-2016, 11:15 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Just download an app for your phone that tracks speed with gps

Old 03-27-2016, 11:54 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks I ll look for that

Old 03-28-2016, 06:42 AM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

You are likely off 5-10mph. There are a zillion speedometer apps that use your GPS. Buy a tuner or a speedcal to fix.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You are likely off 5-10mph. There are a zillion speedometer apps that use your GPS. Buy a tuner or a speedcal to fix.
I ll look for an app for it, I have to save up for a tuner

Old 04-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

So shortly after I changed my gears ratio from 3.27 to 3.73s using the tuner I started hearing grind sound coming from what i believe are the gears where before there was no sound, anyone know what could be the problem?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT