3.73 gears installed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2016, 11:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
3.73 gears installed

Hi everyone i just got my gears installed today, the guy told me to take it easy for the first 500 miles to break in nothing over 50 and also that after 500 miles i have to change the oil again because of loose metal parts or something but somehow I m not too impressed, I was expecting a little quicker acceleration.... like maybe I should of went 4.10s also do you guys know about how much the speedometer is off with the 3.73s? I can t tell it seems normal

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-23-2016, 01:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
This is why Im glad I went with 410s on my 96. I was undecided and had several people tell me to go 410 if I was doing it so I got more bang for my buck. But Im sure once you get on it good after the "break in" you will feel a difference. When I got mine installed I used a Ford Racing kit from AM, and had a ring and pinion only shop near me do them, they told me no break in and change the fluid at regular intervals. I listened to them and tore right out of there, I could tell the diff right away though. Maybe thats because its a slow NPI car, anyway haha. If installed right, quality parts etc, you shouldnt really need a break in period on them, at least thats what they told me. Mine came with a 90 day warranty on the labor so they were pretty confident that I wouldn't have any issues. Again this was from a family owned for 60 yrs ring and pinion shop only (they will do some other minor repairs) and the guy that did them, has been doing them for 35 yrs. He told me all this when I questioned about a break in period like Ive seen with others. My brother had his Mustang and Chevelle done there and they told him the same thing years ago.

Anyway give it some time if you want to take them up on the break in period and then see how she feels. I know it sucks when you question if you should have gone another route. My speedo is off even with the new speedo gear by about 6 or 7 mph when doing 70, when doing 40-50 its off by roughly 5 mph. The faster you go the more it will be off, at least that's how mine is. Mine can't be corrected by a tuner tho, since its a 96, need a speedcal installed to make it right. I just keep up with traffic or go 5 under the posted speed if there isnt any. Hasnt bothered me much but I dont DD it either. You can get a tuner and adjust it from it as well, be a good purchase if your planning on more mods down the road and to get a few more ponies out of her.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,612
If you have FRPP gears you don't need to worry about a break in. Yes your speedo will be off, you need to get it changed in the tune.


What else is done to the car? There is a big difference between 3.27s and 3.73s for acceleration but if the rest of the car is stock it will not be so drastic.




And yes I would have gone 4.10s.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
Adogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,499
3.73 are pretty good gears. I really appreciated them because I went from 2.73 to them and what a difference!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
Don't hate....... appreciate
Adogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you have FRPP gears you don't need to worry about a break in. Yes your speedo will be off, you need to get it changed in the tune.


What else is done to the car? There is a big difference between 3.27s and 3.73s for acceleration but if the rest of the car is stock it will not be so drastic.




And yes I would have gone 4.10s.
They are frpp gears and other bolt ons i have are a bbk throttle body 70mm the bbk cai and a pair of 40 series flowmaster that came with car and a mgw short shifter. So you think it d be ok to just romp on it with the frpp gears since you have more experience then me?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
This is why Im glad I went with 410s on my 96. I was undecided and had several people tell me to go 410 if I was doing it so I got more bang for my buck. But Im sure once you get on it good after the "break in" you will feel a difference. When I got mine installed I used a Ford Racing kit from AM, and had a ring and pinion only shop near me do them, they told me no break in and change the fluid at regular intervals. I listened to them and tore right out of there, I could tell the diff right away though. Maybe thats because its a slow NPI car, anyway haha. If installed right, quality parts etc, you shouldnt really need a break in period on them, at least thats what they told me. Mine came with a 90 day warranty on the labor so they were pretty confident that I wouldn't have any issues. Again this was from a family owned for 60 yrs ring and pinion shop only (they will do some other minor repairs) and the guy that did them, has been doing them for 35 yrs. He told me all this when I questioned about a break in period like Ive seen with others. My brother had his Mustang and Chevelle done there and they told him the same thing years ago.

Anyway give it some time if you want to take them up on the break in period and then see how she feels. I know it sucks when you question if you should have gone another route. My speedo is off even with the new speedo gear by about 6 or 7 mph when doing 70, when doing 40-50 its off by roughly 5 mph. The faster you go the more it will be off, at least that's how mine is. Mine can't be corrected by a tuner tho, since its a 96, need a speedcal installed to make it right. I just keep up with traffic or go 5 under the posted speed if there isnt any. Hasnt bothered me much but I dont DD it either. You can get a tuner and adjust it from it as well, be a good purchase if your planning on more mods down the road and to get a few more ponies out of her.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Steve have you heard about the new tuner from lmr? There s a video about it on youtube, i might have to save up for one of those

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast408 View Post
They are frpp gears and other bolt ons i have are a bbk throttle body 70mm the bbk cai and a pair of 40 series flowmaster that came with car and a mgw short shifter. So you think it d be ok to just romp on it with the frpp gears since you have more experience then me?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yes you will be fine. As long as they installed them correctly and set the right backlash etc...

Get a real catback, a good aftermarket mid pipe and a tune. That should wake it the hell up.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yes you will be fine. As long as they installed them correctly and set the right backlash etc...

Get a real catback, a good aftermarket mid pipe and a tune. That should wake it the hell up.
I m thinking about the magnaflow magnapacks with a upr catted x pipe with an sct turner if i had more money right now

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yes you will be fine. As long as they installed them correctly and set the right backlash etc...

Get a real catback, a good aftermarket mid pipe and a tune. That should wake it the hell up.
What do you think about the 500 mile break in, is it necessary to change the oil again after this?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
3.73 are pretty good gears. I really appreciated them because I went from 2.73 to them and what a difference!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
It would make a nice difference going from 2.73s instead of 3.27s

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast408 View Post
I m thinking about the magnaflow magnapacks with a upr catted x pipe with an sct turner if i had more money right now

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Magnapacks are LOUD but will probably be ok with the catted pipe. That UPR pipe is the best pipe available for our cars with shorties BTW. Made by a shop called VRS in Florida. You can look them up, VRS exhaust. UPR is often out of stock. If UPR has them, use the checkout code SHAZAM for 5% off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast408 View Post
What do you think about the 500 mile break in, is it necessary to change the oil again after this?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I never did but you can do it for peace of mind if you want. Ford doesn't suggest doing it 500 miles after buying a new car tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast408 View Post
It would make a nice difference going from 2.73s instead of 3.27s

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
It makes a bigger difference for sure.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Magnapacks are LOUD but will probably be ok with the catted pipe. That UPR pipe is the best pipe available for our cars with shorties BTW. Made by a shop called VRS in Florida. You can look them up, VRS exhaust. UPR is often out of stock. If UPR has them, use the checkout code SHAZAM for 5% off.



I never did but you can do it for peace of mind if you want. Ford doesn't suggest doing it 500 miles after buying a new car tho...



It makes a bigger difference for sure.
I should probably do it cause the shop didn t use the royal purple i provided, they used their own brand without asking me and saved my oil. They said since i need to replace it after the 500 mark that i could use it then

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,612
If you still have the fluid go for it. Not going to cost you anything.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you still have the fluid go for it. Not going to cost you anything.
Should I add another bottle of the motorcraft frictioner when I swap out the gear oil at 500 miles or it doesn t need it?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Its not my daily driver so I m barley 30 miles in

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
jeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: san antonio texas
Posts: 1,069
You have royal purple it already has the friction modifier in it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
The shop that did my gears hates RP for some reason they wouldn't use it, the said it was junk, lol. Old school kind of dudes though. I cant remember why they didnt want to.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:32 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
You have royal purple it already has the friction modifier in it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
No they didn t use it. They put in their own stuff thinking they would save me money by saving it for me to use after the 500 mile break in so I still have the two bottles but they still charged me $21 for their gear oil.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:37 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
The shop that did my gears hates RP for some reason they wouldn't use it, the said it was junk, lol. Old school kind of dudes though. I cant remember why they didnt want to

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Did you ever change the gear oil after 500 miles?, its gonna take me a while to do those miles I mostly only have time to drive it on sundays lol since I have to drive a truck to work everyday.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:43 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
phatspeed7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pengilly
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 582
I went Ford Racing 4.10 in my mustang. Car is so much fun. 1 gear just blazes tires (with bolt ons and a tune) I'm running an off-road H pipe and Flowmaster Super 10 series mufflers. 2500 rpm @ 75mph. It's loud.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
__________________
~2004 GT with Bolt ons~
phatspeed7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast408 View Post
Did you ever change the gear oil after 500 miles?, its gonna take me a while to do those miles I mostly only have time to drive it on sundays lol since I have to drive a truck to work everyday.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
No I didnt change it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
Anyone else not too cautions about the break period for gears?I m suppose to be taking it easy but today I ve been driving my car and just romping on it with 56 miles into the break in and I really wanna go onto the highway 😆

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
jeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: san antonio texas
Posts: 1,069
When I did gears in my 89 I got right on it and had no issues for 6years


Mods: Upr Xpipe, Upr CAI, Ford Racing C Springs, Mach grill delete, Chin spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, Bama Tuned
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
When I did gears in my 89 I got right on it and had no issues for 6years


Mods: Upr Xpipe, Upr CAI, Ford Racing C Springs, Mach grill delete, Chin spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, Bama Tuned
Ok hopefully they get even better as they break in more lol

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
jeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: san antonio texas
Posts: 1,069
They should how do they feel are they making any noise


Mods: Upr Xpipe, Upr CAI, Ford Racing C Springs, Mach grill delete, Chin spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, Bama Tuned
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
No there really quiet and they feel good but I was expecting faster response but I guess I gotta add more mods but today I sped up to 70mph on the express way and the rpm was at about 2200 on 5th gear, is that about right?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
That sounds about right. In my 96 with 410s in 5th at 70mph Im usually around 2350 or so.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
That sounds about right. In my 96 with 410s in 5th at 70mph Im usually around 2350 or so.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Ok, another thing is I m not real good with manual transmission yet so I can t drive it as good as most people I 've seen on youtube who can chirps the wheels going from 1 to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
jeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: san antonio texas
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast408 View Post
Ok, another thing is I m not real good with manual transmission yet so I can t drive it as good as most people I 've seen on youtube who can chirps the wheels going from 1 to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

Practice practice practice so that's why your not feeling a difference even though there just 373 once you get better at manual you'll feel the difference in the gears


Mods: Upr Xpipe, Upr CAI, Ford Racing C Springs, Mach grill delete, Chin spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, Bama Tuned
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
Practice practice practice so that's why your not feeling a difference even though there just 373 once you get better at manual you'll feel the difference in the gears


Mods: Upr Xpipe, Upr CAI, Ford Racing C Springs, Mach grill delete, Chin spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, Bama Tuned
Definitly with time I ll master the way the car handles and hopefully add more hp as I go along.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:03 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
You guys know about how much the speedometer is off if I m driving at 70mph and 2200 rmp am I really going 60 or 65mph?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:15 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
jeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: san antonio texas
Posts: 1,069
Just download an app for your phone that tracks speed with gps


Mods: Upr Xpipe, Upr CAI, Ford Racing C Springs, Mach grill delete, Chin spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, Bama Tuned
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:54 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
Ok thanks I ll look for that

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:42 AM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,612
You are likely off 5-10mph. There are a zillion speedometer apps that use your GPS. Buy a tuner or a speedcal to fix.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You are likely off 5-10mph. There are a zillion speedometer apps that use your GPS. Buy a tuner or a speedcal to fix.
I ll look for an app for it, I have to save up for a tuner

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Westcoast408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 476
So shortly after I changed my gears ratio from 3.27 to 3.73s using the tuner I started hearing grind sound coming from what i believe are the gears where before there was no sound, anyone know what could be the problem?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New gears installed - wrong gear oil? Fizzlemizzle 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 11 12-20-2012 08:21 AM
how can i tell the difference between factory installed a/c & a dealer installed? Anthony90GT General Mustang Discussion 0 12-01-2012 10:42 PM
My wife just had gears installed on my Stang! illestdomer2005 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 6 07-30-2011 03:27 PM
3.73 Gears, T-lok, 25% UDP installed & SCT Re-tuned.... WOW! Pony Ride Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 7 07-04-2006 01:01 AM
need gears installed Racin02GT Regional Mustang Discussion 2 06-26-2006 10:03 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:08 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.