New wheels !! What about tires? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-23-2016, 06:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
smsstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 238
New wheels !! What about tires?

So I just got new wheels and they are 18x8 in front and 18x10 in rear .
I can't figure out what sizes to run . I was thinking 265 in front and 285 in rear . I want to Mabey go bigger in rear but don't know about rubbing issues . Anyone have suggestions ?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-23-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
On an 18X8 I wouldn't go any wider than a 255. On the rear you can fit up to a 305 on an 18X10 pretty easily without rubbing.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
smsstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
On an 18X8 I wouldn't go any wider than a 255. On the rear you can fit up to a 305 on an 18X10 pretty easily without rubbing.

That's what I was thinking on the front but I looked at American muscle and that's what they recommend on the tire size ? I have a 285 on the rear now on 17 fr500 and I like it but I don't know if bigger will be better ?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-24-2016, 07:47 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,611
Get on tirerack.com and find BFG Comp 2 tires.


275/40/18 out back, 235/45/18 up front. Back will have a slight bulge, front will be flush. These BFG tires run very wide for their size. Grip is fantastic, zero road noise all around spectacular tire.


Exact combo I had on my old blue car that was lowered about 1.5" all around.


You will need to recalibrate your speedo since you are going to be running a taller rear tire at 26.7" which will give you more sidewall for better grip and fill up your wheel well a little better. Up front will be 26.3" tall and will not rub even lowered.




http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e+Sport+COMP-2








__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:34 AM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
New wheels !! What about tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsstang View Post
That's what I was thinking on the front but I looked at American muscle and that's what they recommend on the tire size ? I have a 285 on the rear now on 17 fr500 and I like it but I don't know if bigger will be better ?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

AM tire recommendations are a bit wonky. They put a 275 on a 9" and then 285 on a 10"

10" id go 295 or 305
8" id go 245 or 255

That's for most brands, BFG like Scotty used do run much wider than normal.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
PARTSFROMERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PEMBROKE PINES
Region: Florida
Posts: 276
I'm running 315 on a 10"

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1458836074903.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	198697  
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
smsstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Get on tirerack.com and find BFG Comp 2 tires.


275/40/18 out back, 235/45/18 up front. Back will have a slight bulge, front will be flush. These BFG tires run very wide for their size. Grip is fantastic, zero road noise all around spectacular tire.


Exact combo I had on my old blue car that was lowered about 1.5" all around.


You will need to recalibrate your speedo since you are going to be running a taller rear tire at 26.7" which will give you more sidewall for better grip and fill up your wheel well a little better. Up front will be 26.3" tall and will not rub even lowered.




http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e+Sport+COMP-2









If I decide to go nitto tires what should I run cause I have a 285 on the rear right now on 17-101/2 ? The wheels are MMD 551c? But yes I will get in tire rack do they have like a dimension calculator on there that helps ?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
smsstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 238
Are the BFG more than nitto in price ?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
PARTSFROMERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PEMBROKE PINES
Region: Florida
Posts: 276
What's your location

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsstang View Post
Are the BFG more than nitto in price ?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I sent you a link, go look up the prices.

IIRC the 275s are $200 shipped each and the 235s will be in the $150-$160 range each shipped. So yes likely cheaper and you get more sidewall and a better tire than the 555s if the 555s are what you are looking at.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
smsstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 238
Location is Texas around Houston area


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSFROMERIK View Post
What's your location

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Texas , Houston area


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
smsstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I sent you a link, go look up the prices.

IIRC the 275s are $200 shipped each and the 235s will be in the $150-$160 range each shipped. So yes likely cheaper and you get more sidewall and a better tire than the 555s if the 555s are what you are looking at.

Well where I work I can get prices at cost from my company I just really want the sizing to good and look good you know ? And yes nitto is what I'm looking at but I never tried the BFG before


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsstang View Post
If I decide to go nitto tires what should I run cause I have a 285 on the rear right now on 17-101/2 ? The wheels are MMD 551c? But yes I will get in tire rack do they have like a dimension calculator on there that helps ?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
If you look at the size tire you want on tirerack an click on "specs" it'll show you tread width and section width. Remember that your rim width is measured inner rim lip to lip so you need to tack on about 1" total section width on top of the rim width. This is why the 235/45/18s fit great on a 8" rim because they have a 9.1" section width. Or something right around there.

Tirerack does not sell Nittos so I dunno. Nittos just usually run narrow tho. I think there are Nitto specs on the actual Nitto website. For a Nitto on a 10" wide rim I would go 295/35/18 if available. Or a 305 if you can get it. But the 275 BFG will be cheaper.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
smsstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you look at the size tire you want on tirerack an click on "specs" it'll show you tread width and section width. Remember that your rim width is measured inner rim lip to lip so you need to tack on about 1" total section width on top of the rim width. This is why the 235/45/18s fit great on a 8" rim because they have a 9.1" section width. Or something right around there.

Tirerack does not sell Nittos so I dunno. Nittos just usually run narrow tho. I think there are Nitto specs on the actual Nitto website. For a Nitto on a 10" wide rim I would go 295/35/18 if available. Or a 305 if you can get it. But the 275 BFG will be cheaper.

The rear doesn't scare me it's just the front getting the width and height down cause I don't want no rubbing lol but thanks Scotty


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:23 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,611
The 235/45/18 tire on a 8" rim will not rub at full lock even on a lowered car. I mean if slammed it might but on that blue car I never had any issues at all.


If you wanted to stick with an OEM tire diameter vs a taller tire like that then get 245/40/18 and 275/35/18 and that is 25.7" diameter on front and back, both will fit fine.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
smsstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you look at the size tire you want on tirerack an click on "specs" it'll show you tread width and section width. Remember that your rim width is measured inner rim lip to lip so you need to tack on about 1" total section width on top of the rim width. This is why the 235/45/18s fit great on a 8" rim because they have a 9.1" section width. Or something right around there.

Tirerack does not sell Nittos so I dunno. Nittos just usually run narrow tho. I think there are Nitto specs on the actual Nitto website. For a Nitto on a 10" wide rim I would go 295/35/18 if available. Or a 305 if you can get it. But the 275 BFG will be cheaper.

I'm looking at them now and are you talking about the Gforce comp 2 or sport comp 2?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,611
Literally the exact ones I linked you to in the blue link above the pics I posted.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
smsstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Literally the exact ones I linked you to in the blue link above the pics I posted.

Okay sweet I can get those for 175 for the rear each ! If that setup will look good and it will sit flush with fenders then I'm probly gonna try out these BFG tires man


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,611
Well an 8" rim is not going to sit flush with the front fender lip on a New Edge. Wider fenders on the NE=9" rim up front for that but the 8" will still look good and honestly on a staggered setup there is not any benefit going to 9" over 8" except for looks. Actually putting a narrower tire up front is probably better for a straight line car anyway.


Out back, the 275s will bulge out slightly, it really is a perfect fit on a 10" wide rim.


Again, if you want a taller tire that'll ride a little better and fill up the wheel well more than 235/45/18 front and 275/40/18 back. If you want the OE diameter of 25.7" then get 245/40/18 up front and 275/35/18 out back.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,611
And the BFG tires kick ***. VERY high quality tire, great grip, ZERO road noise from the tires and they look great.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
smsstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
And the BFG tires kick ***. VERY high quality tire, great grip, ZERO road noise from the tires and they look great.

Probly gonna go with what you suggested earlier with the 235/45/18 front and 275/40/18 rear


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 255
Im running 245/45/18 on my front 18x9s, and 275/35/18 on the back 18x10s. Front are a bit stretched but the back look perfect
wawanesa5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
What brand tires did you go with?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
smsstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
What brand tires did you go with?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Haven't bought any yet the wheels are still in the shop lol I had to buy new intake and some other goodies. But I'm gonna go with what Scotty suggested above .


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:43 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Thats what Im thinking too. I planned on having the tires already mounted a long time ago but just havent bought them yet. Keep waiting for a sale lol. I will do some kind of BFGs due to the fact that their performance oriented tires all run wide. Check out the 275 40 18 BFG G Force KDW, on a site called Superbuytires.com. They are like $115 per before shipping. Shipping from them from CA to me in MI is around $50 for the 2. Then I was going to order a Sumi for the front in a 265/40 18 but I do have 9" wide wheels. I may choose a diff size for the fronts though.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:46 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
smsstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Thats what Im thinking too. I planned on having the tires already mounted a long time ago but just havent bought them yet. Keep waiting for a sale lol. I will do some kind of BFGs due to the fact that their performance oriented tires all run wide. Check out the 275 40 18 BFG G Force KDW, on a site called Superbuytires.com. They are like $115 per before shipping. Shipping from them from CA to me in MI is around $50 for the 2. Then I was going to order a Sumi for the front in a 265/40 18 but I do have 9" wide wheels. I may choose a diff size for the fronts though.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Yeah man that's a pretty good deal but I get my tires at cost from my work and free shipping so I got a pretty good gig going lol


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:48 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Sounds like it....I need a gig

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:52 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
smsstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Sounds like it....I need a gig

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

It's not like incredible but every dollar counts lol ... And yeah I can't wait to get the new wheels on the old ones probly gonna get sand blasted and coated


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:57 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
That is true, thats why Im shopping so hard for stuff to save some money so I can do more things I want to do. Getting the wheels as cheap as I did helped a ton. Should be under $900 total for wheels, tires, installed approx when all is said and done.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:59 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawanesa5speed View Post
Im running 245/45/18 on my front 18x9s, and 275/35/18 on the back 18x10s. Front are a bit stretched but the back look perfect
Wawa what tires did you get? Brand and size?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will 205/75-14 tires fit 14x7 wheels? will 225/45-17 tires fit 16x8 wheels? baudier Classic Mustangs 4 03-29-2016 09:25 PM
Wanted: GT500 wheels and tires or 19inch wheels and tires 2014_MCA_Vert Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 1 02-28-2015 08:25 PM
New wheels and tires off my new 2014 bodon Mustang Wheels & Tires 2 03-06-2014 08:32 AM
How much are my stock wheels and tires worth? Less than 1500mi on the tires... Bwillingham10 2011-2014 Mustang GT 24 05-30-2013 10:38 PM
got the rims ordered---tires---tires--tires flysure1 Mustang Wheels & Tires 4 02-15-2006 11:59 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



02:52 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.