turbo on a stock 4.6??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
2kgt1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: los angeles
Region: California
Posts: 74
turbo on a stock 4.6???

Wassup people. So i was looking forward to putting a turbo on my 2000 mustang gt. I dont want like 450hp but close to 400hp would be nice to keep up with some of these new sexy 5.0... i know my fly wheel can hold up to 450 hp and like i said im not looking to push my engine and melt it. Ive seen turbos being sold for like 700 bucks with intercooler and everything. I just need the down pipes and to pay for labor. Has any one done this?.
2kgt1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
PARTSFROMERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PEMBROKE PINES
Region: Florida
Posts: 276
Don't go buying those ebay turbos that will blow up on you. lol
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
2kgt1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: los angeles
Region: California
Posts: 74
Lol. Those are the ones i was looking at... so any suggestions what turbo i should look into?
2kgt1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
PARTSFROMERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PEMBROKE PINES
Region: Florida
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kgt1025 View Post
Lol. Those are the ones i was looking at... so any suggestions what turbo i should look into?
I wouldn't use any of those unless you just want to push 1-2 lbs lol. I've seen them blow up on anything over 5lbs. It all depends on your budget I'm N/A so I wouldn't know what to tell you. I'm sure someone will chime in.
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
If you don't spend at least $3k on a turbo set up it probably isn't that good.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
2kgt1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: los angeles
Region: California
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSFROMERIK View Post


I wouldn't use any of those unless you just want to push 1-2 lbs lol. I've seen them blow up on anything over 5lbs. It all depends on your budget I'm N/A so I wouldn't know what to tell you. I'm sure someone will chime in.
Hahaha.. that cold i was getting my hopes up i thought i was going to spend like 1500 and get me some hp.. well if i have to drop 3k i rather put them as a down payment on a better mustang.. (no disrespect to my 2k gt).
2kgt1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
PARTSFROMERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PEMBROKE PINES
Region: Florida
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kgt1025 View Post
Hahaha.. that cold i was getting my hopes up i thought i was going to spend like 1500 and get me some hp.. well if i have to drop 3k i rather put them as a down payment on a better mustang.. (no disrespect to my 2k gt).
BrO Spray it, nice 150 shot to it will hold my buddies was holding that on a stock block for 2 years lol
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Save your money. Do it right the first time. Cheap options like On3 end up biting you in the a**.

If you know what you are doing, and if you have more time than money piece a kit together. If not, save up and look into a complete single kit.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
2kgt1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: los angeles
Region: California
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSFROMERIK View Post
BrO Spray it, nice 150 shot to it will hold my buddies was holding that on a stock block for 2 years lol
I've never thought of doing that Is that dangerous?. Ive saw some dude blow his oil pan like 50 ft into the air.
2kgt1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
PARTSFROMERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PEMBROKE PINES
Region: Florida
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kgt1025 View Post
I've never thought of doing that Is that dangerous?. Ive saw some dude blow his oil pan like 50 ft into the air.
His oil pan blew 50 ft in the air? how the hell did he manage that lol. But you should be fine if you run it wet.
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
2kgt1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: los angeles
Region: California
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Save your money. Do it right the first time. Cheap options like On3 end up biting you in the a**.

If you know what you are doing, and if you have more time than money piece a kit together. If not, save up and look into a complete single kit.
What exactly happens on these on3? Does it start leaking oil or stuff like that?.
2kgt1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kgt1025 View Post
I've never thought of doing that Is that dangerous?. Ive saw some dude blow his oil pan like 50 ft into the air.
I've seen the fast and the furious too.

Spraying is not dangerous if you're set up correctly and don't get boost happy.

A full kit is recommended. Window switch, fuel pressure cutoff, plugs, bottle warmer, upgraded fuel delivery if you run a dry kit (as the fuel is supplied separately).

Then go get the car dyno tuned.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
2kgt1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: los angeles
Region: California
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSFROMERIK View Post
His oil pan blew 50 ft in the air? how the hell did he manage that lol. But you should be fine if you run it wet.
I saw some pretty good deals on the nos. I think thats what ima go with that .. i just need to upgrade my fuel delivery and few other things.
2kgt1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kgt1025 View Post
What exactly happens on these on3? Does it start leaking oil or stuff like that?.
Quality used to be total crap. You were lucky if the head unit was the only thing that was usable. Lately, quality has gotten better, I use the term "better" loosely.

There have been too many complaints about poor fitting piping, leaks, bad welds, missing components etc to make me consider one. What's the point of spending $2000 on a kit and having to spend another $1500 to replace useless parts and buy missing parts. Not to mention customer service is worse than the kits.

I'd much rather spend another couple thousand and get a decent kit that will bolt right up and have technical support if I need it.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
2kgt1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: los angeles
Region: California
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Quality used to be total crap. You were lucky if the head unit was the only thing that was usable. Lately, quality has gotten better, I use the term "better" loosely.

There have been too many complaints about poor fitting piping, leaks, bad welds, missing components etc to make me consider one. What's the point of spending $2000 on a kit and having to spend another $1500 to replace useless parts and buy missing parts. Not to mention customer service is worse than the kits.

I'd much rather spend another couple thousand and get a decent kit that will bolt right up and have technical support if I need it.
Yeah your absolutely right. I mean theres no other way to gain hp other than juice and turbo? I have Flowmaster exhaust. Bbk cold air intake. Lower springs. Ev6 high flow injectors. ... is there other things i can add to gain hp without nos and turbo?
2kgt1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
PARTSFROMERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PEMBROKE PINES
Region: Florida
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kgt1025 View Post
Yeah your absolutely right. I mean theres no other way to gain hp other than juice and turbo? I have Flowmaster exhaust. Bbk cold air intake. Lower springs. Ev6 high flow injectors. ... is there other things i can add to gain hp without nos and turbo?
Supercharger . get a tune maybe? Nothing much you can do that will give you the 30-80hp gain on spray or any power adders lol
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
2kgt1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: los angeles
Region: California
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSFROMERIK View Post
Supercharger . get a tune maybe? Nothing much you can do that will give you the 30-80hp gain on spray or any power adders lol
Lol yeah i figured theres not much that can be done. I guess im going with nos
2kgt1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
bwright1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 283
I have on3 twin kit making 395hp/475tq on 7.5psi thru an automatic and I wouldn't have anything else! Best bang for the buck and I also bought a boost controller once my forged motors built 650/700hp will be in my future! 2v's love boost!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
bwright1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
bwright1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 283
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1459289545.152297.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	198993


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
bwright1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
bwright1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 283
That's on a100% stock engine with 103,000 miles on it


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
bwright1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
2kgt1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: los angeles
Region: California
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright1973 View Post
I have on3 twin kit making 395hp/475tq on 7.5psi thru an automatic and I wouldn't have anything else! Best bang for the buck and I also bought a boost controller once my forged motors built 650/700hp will be in my future! 2v's love boost!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
How much did you spend. Where did you you purchase it?
2kgt1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
2kgt1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: los angeles
Region: California
Posts: 74
Damn thats clean thats what im looking for just increased hp. Theres people saying on3 are faulty but if you got evidence and its working for you then i can work with that.
2kgt1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
On3 has gotten much better over the years. Personally I'm running a Vortech supercharger making 426whp 397wtq on 11psi. That's on E85 and at altitude.

How set on a turbo are you? Superchargers can bed had for the same ones and, depending on the setup you go with, the install is much simpler as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1459292043122.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	198997  
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:56 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright1973 View Post
Attachment 198993


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Are you holding the 7.5psi all the way through the RPM range? Your horsepower numbers make it look like boost is tapering off...
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
bwright1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 283
Boost is falling off due to we have the timing up top down to nothing. Trying to keep as safe as possible till I get my motor done then plan on turning up till it pops!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
bwright1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:01 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
bwright1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 283
On3 twin kit is only 800 more than the single. Singles can be lazy I have full boost at 2300 rpms. The kit I ordered with kfram injectors mass air all hardware exhaust turn key Iam 5200 into it. That's labor tune install drive away.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
bwright1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
If you don't spend at least $3k on a turbo set up it probably isn't that good.

Not true.


LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
bwright1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 283
To be honest guys the turbo kit goes on pretty easy. 3 days we had it running. A lift does make it a ton easier but I have no complaints with the on3 kit. 5psi 327gears 350 wheel it went 12.30's at 115 on radials I now have new trans and 373's but because of rain haven't been back to the track. We turned the boost up as well and retuned it hoping 11.80's will be had


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
bwright1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
2kgt1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: los angeles
Region: California
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright1973 View Post
On3 twin kit is only 800 more than the single. Singles can be lazy I have full boost at 2300 rpms. The kit I ordered with kfram injectors mass air all hardware exhaust turn key Iam 5200 into it. That's labor tune install drive away.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
So if i put on a single you mean it will take longer to spin the turbo thats why you say its lazy?.
2kgt1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
bwright1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 283
Yes unless you go with a smaller single to spool faster. You have to size a turbo for the application. To big it lazy to small it's spools fast but makes a lot of heat due to inefficiency. I run twin t-30's they will support around 800hp more than my goal is for a daily driven street car. 600/650hp with a good setup will get you mid 10's that's my goal


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
bwright1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,518
turbo on a stock 4.6???

Speed Mister has a Bolt on 2V with a 125 shot. He's making good power; I think it's 370/470 at the tires. You might PM him to see his build list.


Adventure till you drop.
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:44 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
2kgt1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: los angeles
Region: California
Posts: 74
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1459298356302



if were to install this would i get atleast 100 hp. I mean im not trying to get 600 to 800 hp thats some amazing see you later take it to the track material. I just want 360 to 400.

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1459298356302



if were to install this would i get atleast 100 hp. I mean im not trying to get 600 to 800 hp thats some amazing see you later take it to the track material. I just want 360 to 400.
2kgt1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kgt1025 View Post
So if i put on a single you mean it will take longer to spin the turbo thats why you say its lazy?.
Not necessarily. Spool and power will be determined by the turbo you choose. Most of the generic turbo kits out there do not run the ideal turbo. A lot of guys think that the tuebo that comes in the basic kit is the perfect one for their application, so nobody ever changes it. Go to forums for other cars like Evo's and STI's,where they NEED to research their turbo selection to make the power they want, and start learning about spool characteristics and everything else that goes into picking the correct size turbo for your application.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright1973 View Post
Yes unless you go with a smaller single to spool faster. You have to size a turbo for the application. To big it lazy to small it's spools fast but makes a lot of heat due to inefficiency. I run twin t-30's they will support around 800hp more than my goal is for a daily driven street car. 600/650hp with a good setup will get you mid 10's that's my goal


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Plenty of people can get great spool characteristics out of a decent sized single turbo and still make great power. I'd rather have 8 cylinders feeding one turbo instead of splitting that and running one turbo on 4 cylinders.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kgt1025 View Post
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1459298356302



if were to install this would i get atleast 100 hp. I mean im not trying to get 600 to 800 hp thats some amazing see you later take it to the track material. I just want 360 to 400.

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1459298356302



if were to install this would i get atleast 100 hp. I mean im not trying to get 600 to 800 hp thats some amazing see you later take it to the track material. I just want 360 to 400.
You'd be better off just taking all that money and lighting it on fire...
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
2kgt1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: los angeles
Region: California
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
You'd be better off just taking all that money and lighting it on fire...
Hahaha.. well played.
2kgt1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On3 Turbo kit vs. Hellion Turbo BlackCoyote 2011-2014 Mustang GT 36 04-17-2016 11:12 PM
VORTECH SUPERCHARGER, LPF TURBO (Or Any Turbo) Or, PROCHARGER? 2FlyGraffiti 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6) 8 06-22-2015 02:45 PM
turbo 3.8 v6 or swap to (turbo??) 4v dohc 4.6 v8??? morthis32 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 95 09-07-2012 04:27 PM
Can I get a twin turbo kit to work on a newer model a mustang than what the turbo kit was made for? warrane General Mustang Discussion 4 04-08-2010 12:09 PM
399 RWHP/434 RWTQ Stock 3.8 Auto Twin Turbo @ 14psi justin00stang Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 23 02-28-2005 10:16 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:27 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.