Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2002 Roush 360R #071 Build Thread

9K views 99 replies 14 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I figured I should go ahead and make a build thread. I don't have much of a plan yet but it will help me organize my thoughts and ideas as well as keep information in one place. I don't know that you could call it a "build" yet. But some day I hope it will be. Right now it's a totally stock 360R with a couple minor issues that I need to work out as well as some things I would like to do to the car to boost power some. Everything should be tasteful enough to not devalue the car. Thanks for reading guys! I will be asking questions and when I modify or do things to the car I will update it here. Thank you in advance for putting up with me!

#6 ·
That thing looks nice. The motor is already kind of at the edge even with that baby M90. What exactly are your goals for it? Build a motor on the side and drop it in?

#8 ·
Thank you guys for the compliments. I really appreciate it. I love the car. It feels great to drive.

I don't really have a plan yet but the car would mostly be a good cruiser/ weekend track car. I'm not wanting to make the car unreliable even though it isn't a daily. So I figured a little under 500 hp should still keep it pretty reliable (in the long run). 450-500. What do you guys think? As of right now I don't have anywhere near the funds for a true build. But I am alway looking for good ideas. I need some new headlights and tails as well as starting to get the basic bolt ons before getting serious. Eventually I want a mild cam built 2V with an upgraded blower. If I understand right then this blower is already pretty maxed out so porting it would be a waste. But I love the sound it makes so I was originally just going to have it ported and the sound holes filled and then put back on when the engine is built for it. I think Roush has already done that though.

In the meantime, I plan on doing intake, full exhaust and tune. Probably a smaller pulley also if I can source one. That should be good until I can have the engine built.

Thanks again for the compliments. I sure do like the way it looks. It took me a while to get used to the wing. I have thought about putting a saleen style wing on it instead or removing it. But I hate to take roush parts off it. I do need a GT Rear bumper though as it appears a v6 one is on it becuase the PO replaced it thinking it was the same... lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#9 ·
Also, I wanted to have the blower and part of the intake painted white. Just becuase I think it would look great. I wouldn't mind showing this at car shows either.

Is it okay that I have a build thread without a specific build at the moment?

Thanks again for the replies!

#12 ·
I have a thread going for a while now from when I was going to look at the car, lol. Its just random stuff and rants and crap. Me obsessed about which lowering springs to use and tires lol. But its awesome to get everyones advice on here, even if its not what you want to hear. I dont have a true "build" either but it will be cool to document all of what does get done on here to look back on.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#13 ·
Yours will be and already is waaay more of a build and is a lot nicer/faster/cooler car to begin with.

How many of those were made?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#19 ·
Thank you! It kind of surprises me that they didn't make more of them. I think they were really considered a black sheep after the terminator was released. Even though they held their own performance wise it seems. I love those 427R's. Definitely on my favorites list.

#21 ·
I do have a quick hypothetical question. If I wanted to ditch the M90 for more power. Would the newer TVS Roushcharger fot onto my engine? Or what is the next best substitute? I definitely want a twin screw instead of a Centri type blower. I was wanting to stick with a roush blower due to the car being a roush.

Btw. This will be in the future a good ways. I'm just trying to make a plan for the car. Lol

#23 ·
Iirc you will need to remove all the Roush stuff and install a Tork Tech kit. Or go 4V.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#25 ·
I see, the tork tech kits seem very interesting. But it's hard to tell of the 2300 fits the 2V at all. This wouldn't be til much further in the future. I guess I was just wanting to know for reference.

#26 ·
The Roush setup only works with the m90 afiak. You can check on the TT site to see if 2300 fits. You will not really be able to use it with the stock motor tho. Rods will let go at 450-500.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#27 ·
Bringing the thread back for a bit. Sorry I haven't answered. I do plan on doing an engine build before upgrading the supercharger. Definitely don't want it to let go on me.

I was thinking about doing a pulley upgrade but I was thinking that it might be better to change the crank pulley instead so I don't get any belt slip. What size do you think I need and should I just do the one on the supercharger instead? I think the size of pulley on the supercharger I would go to is 2.8 to give me about 8-9 lbs of boost. I don't know enough about the other pulleys unfortunately.

#29 ·
Right, it will only be 9 pounds total. Eventually I will do full exhaust and cams along with an engine build. In the mean time, I just want to squeeze more power out of it . I would rather put a new Roush TVS blower on it in the future if I can get it to fit somehow. I know the M90 is crap but it's what I have and I've seen people put down good numbers with the pulley and bolt on. 400 Hp is a good number for a 2V. Still pretty safe with a good tune too. Eventually I will have money to build the engine and swap a big blower on it. It's just not a possibility right now.

#89 ·
Twins! Sweet car! A little history(you probably already know) in 2002 the first 360R's were built (80 White w/Blue stripes & 61 Red w/White stripes) in 2003 Roush put out the 380R(they just tweaked the 360 tune to get the extra 20hp boost, everything else is the same as the 360R) Then in 2004 they rolled out the 440A(400hp + 40th Anniversary) (to get yet another 20hp boost to reach the 400hp mark all they did was go from a 3in pulley to a 2.8in) So when I bought mine earlier this year, it was all stock w/6,300 miles on it. I got in touch with Roush to see if they could dig up a 380R tune( made 13yrs ago now). The guy got back to me and told me he did find the tune and to send him my computer. I said hold up how much is this going to cost me, he says he'd do it for free. :eek::thumb: Done! 3 days later I was running the 380R config. I went ahead and had a 2.8in pulley made for me and now I'm running the 440A config. Nobody would ever know it's been changed, and you can't beat $120 for another 40hp! Car runs like a champ, very quick:thumb: So yeah 400hp is a good number. Here's a few pics of mine. They turn some heads for sure.

Attachments

#30 ·
No offense because I do appreciate the response but that's all I'm hearing is basically that my car is just slapped together and will blow up anyway or that my supercharger is crap and I need to throw it out. Although that may be true, I just can't do anything about it right now and I'm honestly just lucky to have the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.