Bama x4 flash tuner help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2016, 11:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Bama x4 flash tuner help

Hi everyone, I just picked up a used tuner unmarried and I was looking to just change the simple things gears ratio, fuel, traction control off for now but I m not sure how this works, I plug it in and can t find these options. The guy told me it was unlocked from his old 2013 gt, excuse me if the questions are dumb but I don t have a clue about tuning and using this tuner and I don t want to mess around with it and maybe screw up something in the car.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1460091279408.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	199412  
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2016, 05:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

To do what you want you need to order a tune like bama mpt ect

UPR X Pipe, UPR CAI, Ford Racing C Springs, Mach 1 grill delete, Chin Spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, SCT 4 Bama Tuned
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Any chance the tunes are free from bama?

99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I thought that I would be able to do those things with out a tune

Old 04-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

No they won't be free you'll have to buy but if you buy from bama they'll be free for life then. There part of the settings in the tune to adjust gear ratio fuel/ air traction control shift points things like that

UPR X Pipe, UPR CAI, Ford Racing C Springs, Mach 1 grill delete, Chin Spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, SCT 4 Bama Tuned
Old 04-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Oh its almost better to just buy a new one then from american muscle with free tunes i don t see the point in buying a used one and having to buy tunes from them it probably comes out to around the same $

Old 04-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast408 View Post
Oh its almost better to just buy a new one then from american muscle with free tunes i don t see the point in buying a used one and having to buy tunes from them it probably comes out to around the same $

If you would have read my post to you yesterday over on my thread when you asked about the used tuner for $250, I stated exactly what you just said, lol. It would have been easier and all at once ready for you. But good thing is that you aren't out any money, just doing the same thing in a roundabout way.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	1460138447982.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	199434

Old 04-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

must of missed it while trying to get in contact with the guy selling the tuner but its ok you live and you learn lol. Mpt sounds like a good option if it cost less an bama tune

Old 04-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I thought that I would be able to do those things with out a tune
SCT devices like the X3/X4 come with "Pre-Configured SCT Tunes" from their factory, as detailed in this description:

SCT SF4 / X4 Power Flash Mustang Tuner 7015 (96-15 All) - Free Shipping

I'm assuming that was what you were hoping to get, yes? Companies can apparently purchase the device without the stock SCT tune (for cheaper I'm assuming) so they can load their own calibration on it OR erase/disable the tune that would normally come on the SCT device.

I didn't even know SCT included a "tune" on their factory device when I sold an extra X4 I had to a guy since I already had one from Bama - I thought he just wanted to use it for loading custom tunes, data logging, etc. The buyer ended up contacting me and said he was trying to use the tune that is supposed to come on the SCT devices and it wouldn't work on his car. After some phone calls to SCT, apparently that feature was either never available or disabled on the device that I sold him, so he ended up having to purchase a tune from Bama anyways, otherwise it would have just been a paperweight. I ended up sending him some of the money back to cover his tune because I felt bad - I should have specified when I sold it that it required a custom tune to work.

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Look if you dont want to buy a tune just turn around and sell it for what you paid since its unmarried and buy new with custom tunes either way its still way worth it

Old 04-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodor View Post
SCT devices like the X3/X4 come with "Pre-Configured SCT Tunes" from their factory, as detailed in this description:

SCT SF4 / X4 Power Flash Mustang Tuner 7015 (96-15 All) - Free Shipping

I'm assuming that was what you were hoping to get, yes? Companies can apparently purchase the device without the stock SCT tune (for cheaper I'm assuming) so they can load their own calibration on it OR erase/disable the tune that would normally come on the SCT device.

I didn't even know SCT included a "tune" on their factory device when I sold an extra X4 I had to a guy since I already had one from Bama - I thought he just wanted to use it for loading custom tunes, data logging, etc. The buyer ended up contacting me and said he was trying to use the tune that is supposed to come on the SCT devices and it wouldn't work on his car. After some phone calls to SCT, apparently that feature was either never available or disabled on the device that I sold him, so he ended up having to purchase a tune from Bama anyways, otherwise it would have just been a paperweight. I ended up sending him some of the money back to cover his tune because I felt bad - I should have specified when I sold it that it required a custom tune to work.
Yes that was excatcly what I was looking for. I have to plug into my brother s laptop after work to see what I can figure out

Old 04-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
Look if you dont want to buy a tune just turn around and sell it for what you paid since its unmarried and buy new with custom tunes either way its still way worth it

No I m definitly keeping it but I m gonna wait to add more mods to the car before I get a real tune to be well worth it.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No I m definitly keeping it but I m gonna wait to add more mods to the car before I get a real tune to be well worth it.

You are in good shape with it. Just keep it like you said and order a tune when youre ready. You paid a fair price I think. Take a look at MPT and research them, also go to TuningbyJames.com and check him out, you can email him from there and he will get back to you in a couple days. He used to work for SCT and went off on his own. He is a highly regarded tuner nationally. He is busy so he may not be as fast as some but he will get you a good tune. He will remote tune and data log as well to dial it in as well as an actual dyno tune, he doesn't have set prices for remote tuning as all situations are different.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
You are in good shape with it. Just keep it like you said and order a tune when youre ready. You paid a fair price I think. Take a look at MPT and research them, also go to TuningbyJames.com and check him out, you can email him from there and he will get back to you in a couple days. He used to work for SCT and went off on his own. He is a highly regarded tuner nationally. He is busy so he may not be as fast as some but he will get you a good tune. He will remote tune and data log as well to dial it in as well as an actual dyno tune, he doesn't have set prices for remote tuning as all situations are different.

Ok do you know how to put the tuner back to stock specifications just so it can be ready for when I order a tune? I mean like the way it comes when you buy it brand new

Old 04-09-2016, 06:39 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok do you know how to put the tuner back to stock specifications just so it can be ready for when I order a tune? I mean like the way it comes when you buy it brand new
As long as the tuner is still "unmarried", you'll be able to upload a custom tune onto the device, then load that tune from the device onto your car. Whichever tuner you go with will just need the serial number off your device, the computer code off your vehicle, and some basic info about your car (gear ratio, tire size, transmission, etc)

Even with a completely stock vehicle, a custom tune will noticeably improve performance. If you chose a tuner that has free revisions, I say order the tune even with your stock car. You can request revised tunes as you continue to add mods down the road.

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodor View Post
As long as the tuner is still "unmarried", you'll be able to upload a custom tune onto the device, then load that tune from the device onto your car. Whichever tuner you go with will just need the serial number off your device, the computer code off your vehicle, and some basic info about your car (gear ratio, tire size, transmission, etc)

Even with a completely stock vehicle, a custom tune will noticeably improve performance. If you chose a tuner that has free revisions, I say order the tune even with your stock car. You can request revised tunes as you continue to add mods down the road.
Also you know how the tuner comes with 6 unlocks so if the guy returned his car back to stock it should say 5 unlocks left in the settings right?

Old 04-10-2016, 12:01 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also you know how the tuner comes with 6 unlocks so if the guy returned his car back to stock it should say 5 unlocks left in the settings right? and 5 the tuner gets disabled

Old 04-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also you know how the tuner comes with 6 unlocks so if the guy returned his car back to stock it should say 5 unlocks left in the settings right?

That's correct

Old 04-10-2016, 08:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

After pluging it into my laptop and downloading the new update and returning all the settings back to stock, now I can do the simple changes I wanted, like traction control off, changed the gear ratio to 3.73 but left the fuel at 87 since I m not sure i will notice much difference using 91 without a bama tune anyways hopefully this thread helps out a another newbie who is new to the tuner, I guess this one did come with these preloaded options from sct

Old 04-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
After pluging it into my laptop and downloading the new update and returning all the settings back to stock, now I can do the simple changes I wanted, like traction control off, changed the gear ratio to 3.73 but left the fuel at 87 since I m not sure i will notice much difference using 91 without a bama tune anyways hopefully this thread helps out a another newbie who is new to the tuner, I guess this one did come with these preloaded options from sct

Yes they come with preloaded SCT tunes just be careful on what you adjust

Old 04-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Ok i just did those two and right away I noticed the speedometer is working correctly again, coasting at 70mph its about 2200 2300 rpm in 5th gear

Old 04-10-2016, 09:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome glad it worked out for you

Old 04-10-2016, 10:08 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
Awesome glad it worked out for you

Thanks man, next off I m gonna work off on lowering the car, so far I only have the SR lowering springs and two koni orange rear shocks, I m buying everything slow and one thing at a time lol

Old 04-10-2016, 11:54 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Take your time and do it once and get it right

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT