500hp can I do it?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #1

Region: Pennsylvania
500hp can I do it??

Hey guys I recently acquired a 98 gt in fantastic condition with a little over 90,000 miles on it I'm stoked. Anyway I need to know from the 'stang experts can I pump her up to 500hp under like $5000 I'm willing to go over but id like to try to keep in around that price
Greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
you'd probably stay in the 430-460 range.
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
For under $5k you'd be looking at doing a PI head swap and some nitrous to see low to mid 400s. You could probably buy a used supercharger setup and that will get you the same power levels with a PI head swap.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
These cars can only run safely around 450 HP if tuned spot on, unless you build the motor. Just turbo it with an On3 kit. A member on here a while ago mentioned a NPI car that had once installed at the shop his buddy owns it made over or very close to 400 rwhp, and torque. Just had an exhaust if I remember correectly.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Not possible unfortunately, if you do .. it'll be at the flywheel.
I'd enjoy the 98 for a while , save your money and buy a 03-04 cobra .. with minor mods you can achieve 500 to the wheels fairly easy

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Not going to happen unless you shoestring it with all used parts and do ALL the work yourself and score some hella good deals.

You will need a power adder and with that you will need an upgraded fuel system and tune. Also suspension and wheels and tires to actually make use of the power. You don't HAVE to do PI heads with a power adder but definitely cams and intake, that is where most of the power on the SOHC 4.6L is locked up. The NPI heads themselves are actually not bad at all but the PI heads are definitely better.

Really the only way you are going to see 400-500hp on your budget is nitrous and doing all the work yourself and getting most stuff used.

All that being said... what I would do:

PI heads and intake used - $500
HP292 cams - $500 without cores
Offroad X - $160
Catback - $300
Gears installed - $600
Tri Ax Shifter $100 used
Lower Control Arms/Shocks/Struts/CC plates/Springs - $1,000
TFS Plenum and Summit TB - $260
MPT Tune and tuner $500
17" Staggered wheels with Mickey Street Comps - $1,100

There you are right at $5k. Probably a 285hp rwhp car that'll be a lot of fun and sound REALLY good. Remember, this is doing all the work yourself and assuming everything else on the car is in good shape.

After this I would get it looking like you want it and then go for a fuel system and power adder but you will be limited to about 425rwhp by the stock internals safely.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Not going to happen unless you shoestring it with all used parts and do ALL the work yourself and score some hella good deals.

You will need a power adder and with that you will need an upgraded fuel system and tune. Also suspension and wheels and tires to actually make use of the power. You don't HAVE to do PI heads with a power adder but definitely cams and intake, that is where most of the power on the SOHC 4.6L is locked up. The NPI heads themselves are actually not bad at all but the PI heads are definitely better.

Really the only way you are going to see 400-500hp on your budget is nitrous and doing all the work yourself and getting most stuff used.

Offroad X - $160
Catback - $300
Gears installed - $600
Tri Ax Shifter $100 used
MPT Tune and tuner $500

There you are right at $5k. Probably a 285hp rwhp car that'll be a lot of fun and sound REALLY good. Remember, this is doing all the work yourself and assuming everything else on the car is in good shape.

After this I would get it looking like you want it and then go for a fuel system and power adder but you will be limited to about 425rwhp by the stock internals safely.

+1
While 2v motors respond well to increased airflow, your better off in my opinion to start with the basics and progressively modify the car until its at the point you like. Especially if this is your first time modding a mustang of this year. Putting a turbo or SC and a tune on a bone stock 98 mustang will get you to that 400 range, but a new kit with the tune, af gauge and install will put you over budget. And even then what good will the car be without a suspension designed to handle the power. Is this car a daily or will it see track duty?
wawanesa5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
No! Believe me. 400 at the wheels is enough. Any more and it's not if, but when it will blow up, or spin a bearing!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 98 gt and added the following to my car:

Trick flow heads
Intake manifold
Cold air intake
Mass air sensor
Comp cams 262
Headers
Hi flow cats
24 lb injectors
3.73 gears
18x10 rear and 18x9 fronts wrapped in nittos
Professional tune

Originally ended up with 310 hp and 307 tq at the rear wheels. Loved it so much I spun the bearings and had to rebuild it all over again. It is definitely fast and I enjoy the heck out of driving it. Only problem is once you start a build(at least for me) it's never enough power anymore. I could have 400 rwhp and I'd want 450. Lol.

All together with parts and install I must have spent 8-9k before the rebuild. In hindsight, I'd wish I listened to some of the advice in this forum cause now I am kinda stuck with a stock bottom end with no power adder. To change what I have done for more power is gonna be more costly. if I had to do it all over again sticking with the 98 GT...a built engine with a SC. Be a little more expensive but soooo much more flexible and something tells me I wouldn't have spun the bearings if I went this route originally. Scotty does know...along with some others. You know who they are. Either way, plan out what you are doing and if you can...think ahead. Wish I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mattmcg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRob27 View Post
No! Believe me. 400 at the wheels is enough.
Not for everybody, I'm at 426whp and I still want more.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawanesa5speed View Post
+1
While 2v motors respond well to increased airflow, your better off in my opinion to start with the basics and progressively modify the car until its at the point you like. Especially if this is your first time modding a mustang of this year. Putting a turbo or SC and a tune on a bone stock 98 mustang will get you to that 400 range, but a new kit with the tune, af gauge and install will put you over budget. And even then what good will the car be without a suspension designed to handle the power. Is this car a daily or will it see track duty?
You could get there for less with nitrous, but be very close to the $5k mark once suspension, wheels/tires, fuel, tune are all added in.

Or peice together a Vortech kit, find a used head unit, make sure its 100% or send it off to be rebuilt by Vortech which I think is a few hundred or so. Then get all the piping from a place like superchargers online. Look for a deal on injectors and fuel system. Then get it tuned, and if all DYI install you could probably get it to 400 whp. If you went that route you could probably get some good tires, LCAs, welded in full length subframes etc, and be at $5k.

Its tough to make a 2v "fast" without spending a ton of $. Like Scotty mentioned just do the more "basic bolt ons", PI swap it, cams, a good tune, and be right around 300 whp +/-. 300 whp is a lot of fun in these cars (never had the luxury of owning a 300 whp Mustang myself, have driven a couple and ridden in them plenty of times) especially if its tuned right and you have good suspension. Make it look they way you want and then build an engine on the side to handle more power and go FI at some point.

I want mine to be faster all the time, Ill get a bug up my a $% and plan it all out, then end up not doing it as it costs too much. Better off enjoying what you have for what it is as stock they are still fun cars, sound great, and awesome cruisers. If I really want something with a lot of power one day Ill upgrade to a Coyote, then mod that, by the time that happens so I can afford one as a play toy it will be 2025, haha.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The thing is you asked specifically for 500hp, which we can all agree is out of the question for these motors unless you go forged internals. Which is gunna make your 5g look like peanuts.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Or he could get super lucky like me and find a 34k mile car with a Novi 2000 that just needs a new motor that costs $500 for $5500.

And then proceed to completely throw the budget/plan out the window and go built 4V with the Novi on an intercooler and hope the trans holds at 500 ft lbs at the back wheels...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Or he could get super lucky like me and find a 34k mile car with a Novi 2000 that just needs a new motor that costs $500 for $5500.

And then proceed to completely throw the budget/plan out the window and go built 4V with the Novi on an intercooler and hope the trans holds at 500 ft lbs at the back wheels...
Thats funny. From the sounds of it you won't be too far beyond your original budget, with the deals you have been making anyway. Wasnt your original budget around 11k or so total with purchase of the car?

Old 04-13-2016, 06:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
These cars can only run safely around 450 HP if tuned spot on, unless you build the motor. Just turbo it with an On3 kit. A member on here a while ago mentioned a NPI car that had once installed at the shop his buddy owns it made over or very close to 400 rwhp, and torque. Just had an exhaust if I remember correectly.

This doesn't seem like a bad option i might have to check out that on3 kit
Old 04-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #16

Quote:

Offroad X - $160
Catback - $300
Gears installed - $600
Tri Ax Shifter $100 used
MPT Tune and tuner $500

Damn haha you lied you actually DO know man. I could definitely do most of this work myself no problem, but I have no clue how to install a fuel system and what exactly do you mean by "power adder" I'm having a serious brainfart.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:36 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Damn haha you lied you actually DO know man. I could definitely do most of this work myself no problem, but I have no clue how to install a fuel system and what exactly do you mean by "power adder" I'm having a serious brainfart.
"Fuel system" on these cars are just replacing injectors and the fuel pump.

A power adder is anything forced induction: nitrous, supercharger, or turbocharger.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:36 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Power adder=nitrous/supercharger/turbocharger.

The On3 kit is $2k but that's a barebones kit without fuel/tune/other stuff. You will also want to upgrade the heads/cams/intake before running it.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
I too did the usual PI swap, and all bolt ons just less the cams and I was pretty disappointed to be at 263rwhp but 292ftlbs I was happy with! Eventually, I saved long enough and just bought a '15 GT

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
TigerStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerStang View Post
I too did the usual PI swap, and all bolt ons just less the cams and I was pretty disappointed to be at 263rwhp but 292ftlbs I was happy with! Eventually, I saved long enough and just bought a '15 GT

Now thats one to way upgrade! CONGRATS!!

Old 04-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you would have upgraded the cams and if tuned spot on you would most likely be closer to 290-295ish HP but then your talking another $700-900 or so in parts alone minus labor unless it DIY.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:48 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ppl get way too hung up on hp numbers. A well setup cammed PI car will go low 12s with a real good stick shift driver and even faster down the 1/4 with a stalled auto.

The NPI cars actually usually pump up to the 310 range tho with a PI swap. Higher compression.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 04-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Now thats one to way upgrade! CONGRATS!!

Haha thanks man, a LOT of hard work and sacrifices made. Totally worth it

Old 04-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The thing is you asked specifically for 500hp, which we can all agree is out of the question for these motors unless you go forged internals. Which is gunna make your 5g look like peanuts.

I have a forged internal 2v that I built for less than 2g

04 GT
Bgrimes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgrimes1 View Post
I have a forged internal 2v that I built for less than 2g

04 GT

Yes but is it boosted making 500+ hp?
Old 04-14-2016, 08:02 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Internals to hold up to 700hp or so = stock crank, $180 Boss rods and $550 Manley Street Fighters. Machine work is $600 and then your standard ARP hardware.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha thanks man, a LOT of hard work and sacrifices made. Totally worth it

I bet. Ill get there one day maybe

Old 04-15-2016, 06:09 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Scotty also brought up a good point. The SN95 cars are much lighter than most modern day cars. Also the factory 4 link platform is a great platform to start with. I sure do miss my 98 GT but the 15 is the best handling of the two, and has a decent amount of go juice too, but 40k is tough lol

Old 04-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Screw 40k... Unless it's Warhammer... I'll have about $12-$13k into mine when done. 500hp and hopefully I'll be able to swap irs straight up and throw a frbr kit in it.

But the goodies in the new cars...

Anyway...

Old 04-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes but is it boosted making 500+ hp?

Yes built to hold 700+ and vortec supercharged

04 GT
Old 04-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes built to hold 700+ and vortec supercharged

04 GT

And did you do the whole thing start to finish for 5gs? Cause thats what this whole conversation was about lol
Old 04-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Screw 40k... Unless it's Warhammer... I'll have about $12-$13k into mine when done. 500hp and hopefully I'll be able to swap irs straight up and throw a frbr kit in it.

But the goodies in the new cars...

Anyway...

Lol it's something about the smooth quiet ride but still grumbles where you want it to that did it for me

Old 04-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Car came supercharged, pulled engine, did all the work myself, rods 600, Pistons 800, Kellogg crank 400,
Bearing maybe 200 so about 2k for a forged lower end

04 GT
Old 04-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Car came supercharged, pulled engine, did all the work myself, rods 600, Pistons 800, Kellogg crank 400,
Bearing maybe 200 so about 2k for a forged lower end

04 GT

So no lol
Old 04-15-2016, 07:13 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

If you find good deals on the head unit or a full set than yes you can just depends on patients

04 GT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT