Wish Me Luck - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Wish Me Luck

After owning the 02 GT convertible for a few weeks I finally decided to adjust the stereo settings. When I bought the car things did not sound like they should have, but an aftermarket Kenwood head was installed. I attributed the tonal issues to a cheap or bad head unit. Yesterday I realized that the rear speakers do not work at all. I'm not 100% sure the tweeters in the front are working (I will know in a moment).

After reading the nightmares associated with the Mach systems I am hesitant to even peek at the wiring. I'm almost afraid to see what the previous owner did to sure in the Kenwood.

I am really hoping for a blown fuse to one of the two factory amps, or a simple plug issue. It has been at least 10 years since my last stereo install, and that was on my 03 Ram.

Well, while I have an hour to waste, let's see what I find.

Mommy, I'm scared!!!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
After owning the 02 GT convertible for a few weeks I finally decided to adjust the stereo settings. When I bought the car things did not sound like they should have, but an aftermarket Kenwood head was installed. I attributed the tonal issues to a cheap or bad head unit. Yesterday I realized that the rear speakers do not work at all. I'm not 100% sure the tweeters in the front are working (I will know in a moment).

After reading the nightmares associated with the Mach systems I am hesitant to even peek at the wiring. I'm almost afraid to see what the previous owner did to sure in the Kenwood.

I am really hoping for a blown fuse to one of the two factory amps, or a simple plug issue. It has been at least 10 years since my last stereo install, and that was on my 03 Ram.

Well, while I have an hour to waste, let's see what I find.

Mommy, I'm scared!!!

I still have the stock head unit for my mach lol no way jose am I touching that, sounds great in my car. might just change the tweets.
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSFROMERIK View Post
I still have the stock head unit for my mach lol no way jose am I touching that, sounds great in my car. might just change the tweets.
I wish I had the original head unit. Sure, the Kenwood gives me Bluetooth (audio and of course phone connection, USB, aux input, as well as a CD. I would gladly trade that for a system that works as it should. Now that I know there is a problem it will bother me until I take care of it.

If there is a major problem, I am stuck for a while. It is not in my budget to replace speakers, amps, and wiring.

Warning and Disclaimer:
Stop reading now if you do not want to read an unrelated story. Keep reading of you want to know what clogged catalytic converters can do.

My Dodge Ram is in need of a new engine. The catalytic converters clogged. The added pressure not only pushed oil through the intake manifold, it also destroyed the cooling system. It never occurred to me to check the cats when I had to replace the radiator hoses, water pump, thermostat, and radiator (the entire cooling system failed - a first for me). The final scream for help was the engine blowing the bottom radiator hose off. The truck ran hot before the guages recognized it (the sensors cannot read air and steam well in an open system). I assumed the hose to be a bad install on my part. The death came when the truck blew a head and made an oil and coolant milkshake.

Needless to say, I wasted a lot of money on the truck (I actually need the truck. I use my truck). The engine needs new heads and a complete bottom end rebuild. In reality, it needs a crate or rebuilt engine. I don't see this happening for a while. Engines and engine work costs more than I have to invest at the moment.

There is the long explaination for not spending money on a car stereo.

Dontations of engines and stereos are welcome

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My rear deck didn't work either, I traced the wiring and one of the ground wires didn't get stripped before ultrasonic welded, so I had plastic bonded to metal...but it could be a ground problem. There's a ground under the passenger seat. Or it could be a problem with the remote turn on for the amps (assuming you have the mach 460)

Sent from my LGL22C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sadie- '04 GT Auto- RMR#4837, 4-Point-SEXY
04beautyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04beautyGT View Post
My rear deck didn't work either, I traced the wiring and one of the ground wires didn't get stripped before ultrasonic welded, so I had plastic bonded to metal...but it could be a ground problem. There's a ground under the passenger seat. Or it could be a problem with the remote turn on for the amps (assuming you have the mach 460)

Sent from my LGL22C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
It is the 460.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I feel like a complete idiot. I should have played with the settings more on the stereo before pulling the dash apart. Everything was hooked up as professionally as could be asked for.

I turned the stereo on, moved the fader to the bassless and toneless rear speakers and heard sound that did not come through yesterday. I made sure everything was connected and buttoned up, and then adjusted the EQ and fader to my liking.

Then I discovered the issue. The stereo works like it should in Tuner and CD mode (I have not checked the USB or Aux modes yet). I decided to listen to a stereo test via YouTube. I did not receive any sound.

I was listening to YouTube yesterday when I only had sound from the front speakers. That tells me there is a signal not making it's way properly via Bluetooth.

The stereo has a Pandora setting that works through Bluetooth. That setting works perfect.

So now I am am curious as to why YouTube will not play properly over YouTube with Bluetooth.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT