Paint the gt?. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Paint the gt?.

So i've gots the funds to paint the mustang solid black.. or should i upgrade on the mid catted xpipe and cat back exhaust.. im following what scotty and other cool people suggested i do to my pony. It does have dings and dents also some scratches. What would you guys do?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2kgt1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

That depends you want sound or looks for now?
Post a pic of the car
UPR X Pipe, UPR CAI, Ford Racing C Springs, Mach 1 grill delete, Chin Spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, SCT 4 Bama Tuned
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I kinds want some aggresive sound. Hows that upr xpipe? Does it hang low?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 08:39 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
That's an expensive exhaust system if comparable to a paint job. Which brand were you looking at?

Respect the Classics.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Upr mid catted xpipe and i havent decided on the cat back. What do you suggest.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Paint the gt?.

Local 2V owner has a Dynomax exhaust system sounds wicked. Personally, I'd go off-road H with flowmasters.

Respect the Classics.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1460943936989.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	199973   Click image for larger version

Name:	1460943971089.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	199974  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1460944003100.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	199975  
Old 04-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Paint the gt?.

Screw the exhaust. Get the body fixed.

Respect the Classics.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Lol Its ptetty bad huh.. i got a buddy that can do it for 900 and also shave off the wing

Old 04-17-2016, 09:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If the car is mechanically sound (engine, trans, clutch, suspension, etc), has good tires, a clean interior, and a good top that functions and does not leak, you have a good platform. Make sure you are working with a good foundation before trying to alter things that do not enhance the reliability and value of the car.

If this were my car, and if all it needed was a paint job, I would be investigating and interviewing paint and body shops. I am a perfectionist and extremely peculiar when it comes to auto paint. I want to know what primers, sealers, base, and clear coat is used. I want to see every possible step I can in order to know it meets my standards.

An exhaust is not as important to me as protecting the sheet metal, fiberglass, and plastic. Those things need paint.

Now, if you have clogged cats, a rusted out exhaust, or pipes with holes in them, then an exhaust is important. You may as well get what you want while you're spending money.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well said!
phillip433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kgt1025 View Post
Lol Its ptetty bad huh.. i got a buddy that can do it for 900 and also shave off the wing

Whoaaa nice! I need a repaint and the best quote so far is $1,500... Gotta post a pic when finished but the exhaust can wait..
lyonschoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i have nothing wrong with the car just that its stock down there exept for the flowmasters . Mechanically wise its bad *** but the cosmetic is crap on the outside. The interior is pretty flawless. The reason i bought was because i knew every thing was good exept cosmetic stuff.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonschoice View Post
Whoaaa nice! I need a repaint and the best quote so far is $1,500... Gotta post a pic when finished but the exhaust can wait..
Will do. Ima drop it off on tuesday and pick it up in a couple of days.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
$1500 is not a bad price.

I would charge double that at a minimum. However, when I painted with my dad we would have pulled the scoops, wing, lights, convertible trim molding, grill, emblems, etc. This ensures everything is covered, and give the ability to water sand and polish the car for a finish fit for exotics. I don't care for "good enough". Good enough means you know there can be improvement.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah most likely they are going to mask the crap out of everything.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
So the paint job will be a complete color change to black? There is a lot that goes into a color change paint wise. I dont have any super knowledge on the topic but I do know its typically a lot higher 30-50% more for a complete color change because of under the hood, door jambs, int of truck, etc, etc. Just a whole lot more work. If thats the case thats an amazing price. You can barely buy the supplies for that price, I know good paint, primer, clearcoat, is pricey. Unless he he already has something he can use. But hell yeah if mechanically sound do the paint and body work for sure!!

The UPR catted X is made by a company called VRS out of Florida I think. You can buy from them as well, so they would be the same mid pipe. But the UPR x pipe is one with the most ground clearance, and I have always heard it has awesome fitment too. Sounds good too, if youre going the x route. May want to change the Flowmasters to a straight through muffler like a SLP 2 or Magnaflow Magnapacks, I have the Magnapacks with an off road x and they sound really good. Nice deep tone on idle, good tone throughout rpms, and scream at WOT. Borderline too loud at times, lol. Wouldnt want to DD it like that, I would get a catted pipe like youre going to, quiets it down just enough. If you stick with the Flows and they are 2 chamber, I would go off road H like Recon suggested. Cant beat that classic Mustang sound with chambered mufflers with an off road pipe. Not as raspy, deep tone, louder idle. But if you do a ton of highway driving, some hate the drone of the Flows (dronemasters). The Magnapacks I have dont drone, they quiet down once to cruising speed.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i get some drone on the freeway and i have only flowmaster mufflers lol.. the guy i know is one of my father in laws people so i got the hook up i just been lagging.

The thing about the o/r h pipe is that its going to give me a code and emission problems. I live in los angeles.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I have changed the colors on a few cars. To do it correctly the car has to be torn apart. The interior of the doors, sills, trunk, and hood have to be painted. After that cures the car is assemled with the exception of trim pieces. The painted interior is masked off and the exterior is then prepped and painted.

To change any car color to black would be priced at a ridiculous amount if I was asked to tackle the job.

The last black street rod I did was primed and blocked several times. Then the car was sealed and color was sprayed. I color sanded the base coat to ensure everything was perfect. Then another base was sprayed.

The clear coat was blocked and inspected, then wet sanded one last time before buffing and polishing.

It looked like you could reach your hand into the car's finish.

Of course this was a $200,000 street rod. The owner wanted perfection, and paid for it. He was also at the shop with coffee every morning just to see what was going on.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Lol well its kinda hard to compare a 200,000 hot rod to my gt that i got for 3700... Even tho in my heart its worth millions and trillions i cannot budge with a paint job of that perfection and ive seen this guys work its not bad i just dont know what it looks like in 2 or 3 years.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Paint the gt?.

Around here paint jobs for that price last about a year and a half. Anything under 2K is gamble.

Respect the Classics.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah your absolutely right But ima roll the dice. My gt has many scars

Old 04-18-2016, 12:02 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol well its kinda hard to compare a 200,000 hot rod to my gt that i got for 3700... Even tho in my heart its worth millions and trillions i cannot budge with a paint job of that perfection and ive seen this guys work its not bad i just dont know what it looks like in 2 or 3 years.

Yeah I agree. Youre not gonna get a $12-15k paint job for $900, but if hes just charging you for supplies and a little time then it may be in line with getting a $2-3k paint job, I dunno?? It will most certainly be better than a cheap Earl Sheib or Maaco job (although you can pay a lot at those places too if you want it done better or a certain way). Anyway, have you thought about keeping it silver? I love black cars myself but I will never own another, I have had 6 of them, and its so hard to keep them up if you really use them at all. A ton of maintenance to make it look right, its a pain in the ***. Even when they have a good quality wax, you wash them and still doesnt look right. Im a perfectionist with things like that, not that my cars are always perfect but when I have the time to invest on washing etc I want it to look good and with black Im never happy just washing and drying. I usually always then went over it with a spray detailer of some sort, makes it look a ton better, but it doesn't go on as quick since you have to buff the black even with the detailer. Anyway just .02 on black cars.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:16 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Yeah I agree. Youre not gonna get a $12-15k paint job for $900, but if hes just charging you for supplies and a little time then it may be in line with getting a $2-3k paint job, I dunno?? It will most certainly be better than a cheap Earl Sheib or Maaco job (although you can pay a lot at those places too if you want it done better or a certain way). Anyway, have you thought about keeping it silver? I love black cars myself but I will never own another, I have had 6 of them, and its so hard to keep them up if you really use them at all. A ton of maintenance to make it look right, its a pain in the ***. Even when they have a good quality wax, you wash them and still doesnt look right. Im a perfectionist with things like that, not that my cars are always perfect but when I have the time to invest on washing etc I want it to look good and with black Im never happy just washing and drying. I usually always then went over it with a spray detailer of some sort, makes it look a ton better, but it doesn't go on as quick since you have to buff the black even with the detailer. Anyway just .02 on black cars.

I am thinking about it. Ima take it Wednesday and he would probabily drop the price since im choosing the same color.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:36 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am thinking about it. Ima take it Wednesday and he would probabily drop the price since im choosing the same color.

Just a suggestion. Definitely get the color you want. Dark Shadow Grey is an awesome paint color on a new edge. If I was going to paint either of mine I think I would do DSG.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:23 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Just a suggestion. Definitely get the color you want. Dark Shadow Grey is an awesome paint color on a new edge. If I was going to paint either of mine I think I would do DSG.

Dark Grey is a nice color. I'm a bit biased though. My car is Mineral Grey. My truck and my wife's Jeep are both Grey as well.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:33 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Dark Grey is a nice color. I'm a bit biased though. My car is Mineral Grey. My truck and my wife's Jeep are both Grey as well.

I like mineral grey too, its a great color.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:07 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I dropped it off today and went with gloss black. Im nervous its probabily going to look like crap lol... is there any product i can use on my convertible top to bring it back to like or do i just have to replace it?. It does not have tears and any leaks but its getting faded.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:19 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I dropped it off today and went with gloss black. Im nervous its probabily going to look like crap lol... is there any product i can use on my convertible top to bring it back to like or do i just have to replace it?. It does not have tears and any leaks but its getting faded.

Talk to a few upholstery shops (or research them online) to find out what dyes are needed. I don't think the Duplicolor spray dye will work on a vinyl top, but I could be wrong.

Be optimistic about the paint. If you see unacceptable flaws refuse to take delivery of the car. Do not pay for the paint in advance.

I'm about to piss off every painter on the site. If you cannot get a good final result, pay by check or credit card. Contest the charges due to services rendered and make sure you get a refund. Document everything with pictures and notes that you find unacceptable. If you cancel a payment, expect to find yourself in court. Do not let court scare you.

I'm not being a jerk. I am someone that knows the auto paint and body industry. I have personally witnessed a lot of garbage delivered. I have seen people stuck with paint work that looked worse than they started with.

That said, your paint should turn out just fine.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:26 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Talk to a few upholstery shops (or research them online) to find out what dyes are needed. I don't think the Duplicolor spray dye will work on a vinyl top, but I could be wrong.

Be optimistic about the paint. If you see unacceptable flaws refuse to take delivery of the car. Do not pay for the paint in advance.

I'm about to piss off every painter on the site. If you cannot get a good final result, pay by check or credit card. Contest the charges due to services rendered and make sure you get a refund. Document everything with pictures and notes that you find unacceptable. If you cancel a payment, expect to find yourself in court. Do not let court scare you.

I'm not being a jerk. I am someone that knows the auto paint and body industry. I have personally witnessed a lot of garbage delivered. I have seen people stuck with paint work that looked worse than they started with.

That said, your paint should turn out just fine.

Lol...Damnnnn.... you live anywhere around los angeles?. Sure would like some back up when i pick up the stang. And hell nah i didnt pay in advance, im going to pick it up at the shop so if i see some funny **** ima call them out on it.

I see they have tops on AM. For like 190$.. around there. I mean that does not sound bad...

Old 04-19-2016, 12:32 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol...Damnnnn.... you live anywhere around los angeles?. Sure would like some back up when i pick up the stang. And hell nah i didnt pay in advance, im going to pick it up at the shop so if i see some funny **** ima call them out on it.

I see they have tops on AM. For like 190$.. around there. I mean that does not sound bad...

You're only a plane ticket away from GA. Lol

I would gladly evaluate the paint. Unfortunately we are on opposite sides of the US.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:11 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that sucks. Well ill post a picture when i get it back and you can be the judge and jury... im just not getting my hopes up too high its a 900 dollar job.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah that sucks. Well ill post a picture when i get it back and you can be the judge and jury... im just not getting my hopes up too high its a 900 dollar job.

Is it a base/clear, or a single stage paint job?
Old 04-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Most likely its a base/clear. I guess the most minimal work he can get away with.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Be optimistic that it will be OK. But definetly inspect the hell out of it when you pick it up. Im sure you must have some confidence in them or you wouldnt have let them do it for you. I would look into the dyes for the top if its in otherwise good shape. I know people do it all the time and it looks a lot better if done right. The shop its at now may even be able to tackle that or quote it for you, some do them and some dont. If tops are that inexpensive though it may be better to just get a new one. It will look good with fresh paint and top!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT