Rear end tapping/ticking - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Rear end tapping/ticking

Ok I'm hoping someone could help me here. I have a 2004 GT auto. When I am decelerating I can hear a tapping/ticking noise coming from the rear end. Usually at any speed. But of course quits when I stop. It's a faint sound not loud. Not like a whine or a distinct grind. It's a noise like if you would rapidly tap on steel.

It doesn't happen when accelerating at all, but could only be because I can't hear it over the exhaust maybe?

Could it be gears or possibly the U-joint??

Thanks for anyone willing to help!
salsa04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2016, 01:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
A "ticking" or "clicking" noise coming from the axle is normally associated with a failing bearing.
The easiest way to diagnose where the noise is coming from, is to raise the rear of the car on jack stands and rotate the wheels while listening for any abnormal noises.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
A "ticking" or "clicking" noise coming from the axle is normally associated with a failing bearing.
The easiest way to diagnose where the noise is coming from, is to raise the rear of the car on jack stands and rotate the wheels while listening for any abnormal noises.
Also check for any play in the drive shaft.

If you rule out the drive shaft and wheel bearings, you may have a worn or broken gear that only shows itself when it has negative pressure on it.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ok cool thanks guys.. Question though. When I have it up on stands and get under to check the play in the shaft. Do I check it at the U joint and also how much play should there be? None at all? Or a very small amount? I've heard both. But not from too credible of sources.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
There should be no play in the drive shaft if you pull and push it side to side, or up and down. You may get a tiny bit of movement if you twist back and forth.

If you have the rear wheels off the ground, with the car in neutral, you should be able to spin one of the wheels forward. Listen for your noise, then go to the other side.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I appreciate it guys. I'll jack it up this weekend and diagnose. I'll let you know the results. Thanks again guys
Old 04-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
There should be no noticeable play in the universal joints themselves.
If you grab the drive shaft and move it back and forth, there will normally be some play inside of the differential. It is up to you to determine if the play is excessive, or if it is making unacceptable noises.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT