Flowmaster super 10 series (stock H pipe) question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #1

Region: Alabama
Flowmaster super 10 series (stock H pipe) question

Hey I have been messing around with the exhaust on my 2001 mustang gt and currently I am running pypes off road h pipe with flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I love the sound however I can't deal with the smell of gas all the time and I no longer want to worry about getting the car inspected and other emission type issues. Now I was wondering if anyone on here has the flowmaster super 10 series with the stock mid pipe. I want to keep the loudness but I just want to put the stock h pipe back on and replace the 40s with the 10s and hopefully it will be as loud so if anyone has messed with this before and can tell me if it will be as loud I will appreciate it thank you.
01gtstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2016, 01:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01gtstang01 View Post
Hey I have been messing around with the exhaust on my 2001 mustang gt and currently I am running pypes off road h pipe with flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I love the sound however I can't deal with the smell of gas all the time and I no longer want to worry about getting the car inspected and other emission type issues. Now I was wondering if anyone on here has the flowmaster super 10 series with the stock mid pipe. I want to keep the loudness but I just want to put the stock h pipe back on and replace the 40s with the 10s and hopefully it will be as loud so if anyone has messed with this before and can tell me if it will be as loud I will appreciate it thank you.
When I first got my 96 GT it was stock and I found a great deal on a BBK off road x pipe, I installed that with the stock mufflers and it sounded really good, almost better than it does now with the mufflers changed to Magnapacks. I know youre asking the opposite but I think your stock h pipe with the Super 10s would sound really good. Im actually thinking of doing the same on my 03. It has 40s on it now, but instead of getting an off road pipe verse a catted h pipe because their cheaper I may just get the 10s and have the same effect or close to it. The stock midpipe with all the cats really restricts the sound a ton though. Sounds like the 10s would be a good choice for you, many rave about them on here. Their farily inxepensive too. Or you could always "modify" your stock h pipe and hollow out the cats and just leave 2 as actual cats, a lot of people do this so they can defeat the visual inspection and still have cats.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I do have the super 10s and love them...I currently am running the stock h-pipe, but as soon I get the cash together I am putting on the bbk catted x-pipe sitting in my garage.

2002 Mustang GT, Trick Flow plenum, eibach lowering springs, BBK catted x-pipe, for now.......
Vinnie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
When I first got my 96 GT it was stock and I found a great deal on a BBK off road x pipe, I installed that with the stock mufflers and it sounded really good, almost better than it does now with the mufflers changed to Magnapacks. I know youre asking the opposite but I think your stock h pipe with the Super 10s would sound really good. Im actually thinking of doing the same on my 03. It has 40s on it now, but instead of getting an off road pipe verse a catted h pipe because their cheaper I may just get the 10s and have the same effect or close to it. The stock midpipe with all the cats really restricts the sound a ton though. Sounds like the 10s would be a good choice for you, many rave about them on here. Their farily inxepensive too. Or you could always "modify" your stock h pipe and hollow out the cats and just leave 2 as actual cats, a lot of people do this so they can defeat the visual inspection and still have cats.

Thank you for the reply this is most likely what I will be doing. I have watched a couple youtube videos and they seem to be pretty loud with everything else stock but it's hard to tell from the videos. I will most likely buy them some time this week.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie02 View Post
I do have the super 10s and love them...I currently am running the stock h-pipe, but as soon I get the cash together I am putting on the bbk catted x-pipe sitting in my garage.

2002 Mustang GT, Trick Flow plenum, eibach lowering springs, BBK catted x-pipe, for now.......
That's good to hear. Have you ever been around a mustang with an O/R H pipe and flows and could tell me how much louder it was or if it was around the same sound level.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #6

Region: Florida
Quote:
That's good to hear. Have you ever been around a mustang with an O/R H pipe and flows and could tell me how much louder it was or if it was around the same sound level.

My friend has a off road h and super 44 and it wasn't crazy loud but it got pretty high up there when on it.
Fitzy_2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy_2v View Post
My friend has a off road h and super 44 and it wasn't crazy loud but it got pretty high up there when on it.
Is that a lot louder then the stock h pipe with super 10s?
Old 04-23-2016, 04:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Is that a lot louder then the stock h pipe with super 10s?

I never personally heard the super 10 in person but from videos I would say that the super 10s are louder they are pretty close to slp loudmouth 1 if you ever heard those it's pretty close to straight pipe
Old 04-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #9

Quote:
I never personally heard the super 10 in person but from videos I would say that the super 10s are louder they are pretty close to slp loudmouth 1 if you ever heard those it's pretty close to straight pipe
Alright so I'm gonna have the stock h pipe with the super 10s hopefully it is as loud as the O/R H pipe
Old 04-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Alright so I'm gonna have the stock h pipe with the super 10s hopefully it is as loud as the O/R H pipe

It should be way louder it is close to straight pipe but have cats so that will quiet it down a bit
Old 04-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Super 10's are A LOT louder than original 40's (they're only like 4" long for goodness sake) If you want to get rid of the smell put two cats on (I'm not experienced enough to tell you if high-flow cats will get rid of the smell). Plus I don't think mufflers really do much for emissions, thats the cats' job. I have Original 40's, factory upstream cats, deleted downstream cats, and 3.5X 18" tips. My car is plenty loud and I have no smell (except occasionally on start-up).
I also get complements such as "This is the ideal sound for a car, you can't get any better without cams" and "It's loud, but not too loud with a nice idle volume"

Sent from my LGL22C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sadie- '04 GT Auto- RMR#4837, 4-Point-SEXY
04beautyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have original 40s welded in with stock mid pipe and its pretty quiet even when I romp on it. Would you need o2 extensions and for a catted x pipe? Or just an offroad as well as the mil elminators?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast408 View Post
Would you need o2 extensions and for a catted x pipe? Or just and offroad as well as the mil elminators?

You don't need o2 extensions unless you have long tubes
Old 04-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You don't need o2 extensions unless you have long tubes
Thank you, good to know and also a catted x or h will not trigger a cel because it still has cats right?

99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Old 04-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Thank you, good to know and also a catted x or h will not trigger a cel because it still has cats right?

It shouldn't no but if it does just go and buy a set of mil eliminators for like $25 from LMR or AM
Old 04-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Customer has a 04 with no cats and 40 series. Sounds great.

Respect the Classics.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post

Respect the Classics.

Taking the cats off of any exhaust instantly makes it sound better imo
Old 04-23-2016, 07:58 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Depends on who you ask.

Respect the Classics.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Depends on who you ask.

Respect the Classics.

Yea taking cats off of a sixxer I don't think will sound very good to high pitched IMO
Old 04-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Some V8s too in my opinion. I'm very picky about exhaust.

Respect the Classics.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:02 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Respect the Classics.
Agreed! To me the best sound on a 2v. Off road H pipe and 2 chambers. Loud as heck when on it but not ear piercing loud, nice hollow deep tone.

Personally I still think a Mustang with an off road H pipe and super 44s will be louder than a stock H pipe and 10s. Maybe not a ton. But loud doesnt really matter to me as much, just want it to sound good and healthy. Even though I have an off road X on my 96 Im growing tired of the X sound, and prefer the H. If I had it to do again I would go off road H on that one too. A guy at work has a 96 GT with an off road H and 40 series Flowmasters, their good and broken in, a few years old, but it sounds awesome. Has a great idle, and when he gets on it a little its just eargasmic. Exhaust is all personal preference. Honestly if going with SLP 1s you may as well save some money and just go straight pipes. To me SLP 1s only sound good with a catted mid pipe (aftermarket with 2 highflow cats is best but stock is fine too). You could get away with the SLPs and have a good sound with your stock pipe, they will be louder than the 10s will be IMO. Ive heard them both in person, and I had SLP 1s for like 2 weeks paired with my off road X pipe though and it sounded awful. Sounded like an 18 wheelers jake brake upon deceleration, and crackled, popped, rasped too much for my liking, but again some like that sound. I appreciate any aftermarket exhaust on these cars but prefer certain ones.

Maybe its me getting older but when its loud as hell, you need to be able to back it up, lol.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My 04 went through a few setups.
1. Stock midpipe, Slp LM 1 catback. Very good sound, but fairly quite.

2. O/R H pipe with Slp LM 1 catback. (Sounded very, very bad. Too loud, and trumpeted along with some nice droning on the highway)

3. Current setup is the O/R H, the Slp tubing and tips with the loudmouth 1's replaced with Flowmaster original 40's. Very happy. Gets plenty loud when you get on it, great sound at idle, and zero drone anywhere in the rpm range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post

2. O/R H pipe with Slp LM 1 catback. (Sounded very, very bad. Too loud, and trumpeted along with some nice droning on the highway)

3. Current setup is the O/R H, the Slp tubing and tips with the loudmouth 1's replaced with Flowmaster original 40's. Very happy. Gets plenty loud when you get on it, great sound at idle, and zero drone anywhere in the rpm range.

What brand h pipe are you running? I m wondering if it makes a different in sound.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #24

Quote:
What brand h pipe are you running? I m wondering if it makes a different in sound.

Anybody have input on a bassani off-road X and some flowmaster super 10 dumped I don't care about loudness but I don't really want raspy but I do want the flow of the X
Old 04-24-2016, 01:25 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Agreed! To me the best sound on a 2v. Off road H pipe and 2 chambers. Loud as heck when on it but not ear piercing loud, nice hollow deep tone.

Personally I still think a Mustang with an off road H pipe and super 44s will be louder than a stock H pipe and 10s. Maybe not a ton. But loud doesnt really matter to me as much, just want it to sound good and healthy. Even though I have an off road X on my 96 Im growing tired of the X sound, and prefer the H. If I had it to do again I would go off road H on that one too. A guy at work has a 96 GT with an off road H and 40 series Flowmasters, their good and broken in, a few years old, but it sounds awesome. Has a great idle, and when he gets on it a little its just eargasmic. Exhaust is all personal preference. Honestly if going with SLP 1s you may as well save some money and just go straight pipes. To me SLP 1s only sound good with a catted mid pipe (aftermarket with 2 highflow cats is best but stock is fine too). You could get away with the SLPs and have a good sound with your stock pipe, they will be louder than the 10s will be IMO. Ive heard them both in person, and I had SLP 1s for like 2 weeks paired with my off road X pipe though and it sounded awful. Sounded like an 18 wheelers jake brake upon deceleration, and crackled, popped, rasped too much for my liking, but again some like that sound. I appreciate any aftermarket exhaust on these cars but prefer certain ones.

Maybe its me getting older but when its loud as hell, you need to be able to back it up, lol.

I agree. I don't think I'd have anything on a 2V but flowmasters.

Respect the Classics.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:38 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone have any experience with a mac offroad h pipe? There are on sale for $155 right now.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post

Thats basically the set up Im the biggest fan of currently. Old tried and true off road H and 2 chamber Flowmaster sound. To me it cant be beat. I need to find a good deal on an off road H. Anyone ever use the off road H from Summit or Jegs (heard some fitment issues with this one), Pypes (mostly favorable reviews), BBK (also favorable reviews with some fitment issues), MAC (usually a little cheaper/ 3 pc design like the Jegs and Summit ones, almost looks like the same product??). Off road x pipes are so much cheaper for some reason and there are more options too. Maybe X pipes are just more popular now?

Old 04-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Thats basically the set up Im the biggest fan of currently. Old tried and true off road H and 2 chamber Flowmaster sound. To me it cant be beat. I need to find a good deal on an off road H. Anyone ever use the off road H from Summit or Jegs (heard some fitment issues with this one), Pypes (mostly favorable reviews), BBK (also favorable reviews with some fitment issues), MAC (usually a little cheaper/ 3 pc design like the Jegs and Summit ones, almost looks like the same product??). Off road x pipes are so much cheaper for some reason and there are more options too. Maybe X pipes are just more popular now?

My friend has a off-road h pipe from jegs I can talk to him tomorrow and ask him a bout it
Old 04-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Anybody have input on a bassani off-road X and some flowmaster super 10 dumped I don't care about loudness but I don't really want raspy but I do want the flow of the X
The chambered mufflers like Flowmaster seem to cut down on some of the rasp from the X pipes from what I have heard and seen. I think going X with a chambered muffler would be the best for you since you want an X but not all the raspyness of it.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:50 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with a mac offroad h pipe? There are on sale for $155 right now.

I was literally wondering the same thing. I know Soccur has one on his Bullit. He has neve said anything bad about it, other than I think he said the 3 pc design can be a pain to get it to where you have a good fit and no leaking. Just some more tweaking to get it where there are no leaks. I have seen others say this too. But I was looking at getting the very same one you are because of the price and Im not a huge fan of BBK stuff really, the Pypes H is OK also. For the price though Ill probably get the MAC since even off of sale its cheaper usually by $20 bucks or more.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Also to me looking at the MAC, Summit, Jegs, off road H pipes, they all look like they come out of the same factory to me. All 3 pc designs I think, maybe one of them is a 2 pc, I cant remember now. But they all look very similar and prices are all very close too. Again Ill probably be going with the MAC, I may order it tonight.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:05 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also to me looking at the MAC, Summit, Jegs, off road H pipes, they all look like they come out of the same factory to me. All 3 pc designs I think, maybe one of them is a 2 pc, I cant remember now. But they all look very similar and prices are all very close too. Again Ill probably be going with the MAC, I may order it tonight.

The pypes is not bad either for $205 minus the 6% discount, I just wonder which one one would be the easiest to bolt on without too many problems.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:26 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The pypes is not bad either for $205 minus the 6% discount, I just wonder which one one would be the easiest to bolt on without too many problems.

I would imagine it would be the Pypes as its not 3 pc and doesnt have as many areas to have leaks. I will probably just go to my local muffler chain and have it slapped on instead of dealing with rusty stubborn 13 year old bolts, swearing, getting dirty, laying on the ground, sweating, swearing, leaks, swearing, etc, and more swearing. They charged me about $85 to install my X pipe on my 96, not bad to me, but I dont have to switch back and forth. Once its on its on. I could see not wanting to pay that every couple of years for sure. They actually had a little trouble getting my X on, IIRC they ended up cutting the stock one off cause of the bolts, then heated them up forever to get them the rest of the way out. They also ended up welding it on. I figured it didnt matter as if I ever changed it they can cut it off the way they did the stock one, or I would be going with headers, new mid pipe, and a cat back one day, but Ill probably just be leaving it the way it is for quite some time.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:10 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Agreed. Mine has had a plate on it too, which is stupid because in Mi we dont have to have a front one. So at some point they must have had some stupid pate on there, I picture a running horse one or something or a Id rather be golfing or some crap, ha. It was older retired people that bought my 03 new that the guy I got it from bought it from, maybe it was a #1 grandpa plate? My 96 also was owned by an older retired man before me, also had some kind of front plate on it, also had a bra when I got it. Took that off when I was leaving the parking lot when I bought it. At least the both were taken care of and garaged etc their whole lives, I guess I can deal with a couple small holes in the bumper.

I want to actually experience changing it myself, I have never done a mid pipe swap so it will be something new to me lol.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:40 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I m sort of considering either a mac offroad pro chamber or upr catted x pipe, they are priced around close to the same . My car is very... so quiet with the 40s welded in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT