Need Help from Mustang Experts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2016, 06:54 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Need Help from Mustang Experts

I apologize in advance this is my first post and I just have one question. I recently have been thinking about getting an exhaust for my car. I just purchased it 3 months ago and I dont even know what brand mufflers it has so its time to go. I have been watching videos on the flowmaster super 10s. I love the sound but my buddy has an O/R H pipe with flowmaster super 40 series. It sounds AWESOME. However I wish to keep the stock mid pipe on because I currently dont have money to be buying a O/R h pipe as I am a student in college and I dont want to deal with swapping it out every 2 years for inspection. So i was wondering if my stock h pipe with cats and flowmaster super 10s will be as loud as my buddy's with an O/R h pipe with the super 40 series. I apologize for the long post and would appreciate and advice or thoughts from anyone ASAP thank you.
The03stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2016, 01:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The03stang View Post
I apologize in advance this is my first post and I just have one question. I recently have been thinking about getting an exhaust for my car. I just purchased it 3 months ago and I dont even know what brand mufflers it has so its time to go. I have been watching videos on the flowmaster super 10s. I love the sound but my buddy has an O/R H pipe with flowmaster super 40 series. It sounds AWESOME. However I wish to keep the stock mid pipe on because I currently dont have money to be buying a O/R h pipe as I am a student in college and I dont want to deal with swapping it out every 2 years for inspection. So i was wondering if my stock h pipe with cats and flowmaster super 10s will be as loud as my buddy's with an O/R h pipe with the super 40 series. I apologize for the long post and would appreciate and advice or thoughts from anyone ASAP thank you.
Welcome to ME! Post some pics of your car too when you can.

As far as the exhaust (this is an exhausting...Get it? Get it? Topic on ME lol) but I dont think with a stock mid pipe the super 10s would be quite as loud as the off road H with 40s or 44s. It may be close and it would be loud for sure if thats what youre after. The best thing for you it sounds like other than the expense thing which I completely understand by the way, is a catted h pipe, they have 2 cats, instead of the 6 your stock mid pipe has. This would wake it up nice, if doing this I would go with a 40- 2 chamber Flowmaster then. It will be plenty loud and probably to a lot of enthusiasts sound better than your buddies becuase it isnt as loud if that makes sense. It would for sure sound great with that set up to me anyway. Cant beat the sound of a 2 valve, h pipe, and Flowmaster 2 chambers, classic Mustang sound really. Some people dont like the Flowmaster sound because so many of them have it, I used to not like it as much either or wanted something different but now I actually want more of that set up. My 96 GT has an off road x midpipe from BBK and Magnaflow Magnapack mufflers, it sounds good, has a nice tone, deep sounding at idle and crusing, screams at WOT of course but it has rasp and is a little higher pitched than an h pipe. On my 03 I got recently it has Flowmaster 40s welded in from previous owner already and they do sound good, just needs to be a touch louder for me. I probably will go with an off road H because their cheaper and you can find more of them used budget is something Im on as well, but if I found a deal on a catted h pipe I would pick that up instead. If you think of an x pipe having a "nascar" sound and a h pipe having a "muscle car" sound thats the easiest way to explain them I have found. Also many will say use a straight thru muffler like a Magnapack, SLP with an x pipe, and a chambered muffler like a Flowmaster, Dynomax on a h pipe. None of that really matters it all is what sounds best to you, everyone has different tastes on exhaust. No matter what route you go with it, 2 valve Mustangs always sound good with any kind of aftermarket exhaust. I think you would be happy with the 10s being welded in and in the future if you find the right deal on a h pipe you can install that.

This probably didnt help you at all, Im rambling, 14 hr day at work and Im beyond being tired and cant sleep, ha. Just keep listening to videos etc and find what sound you like. Some guys hollow out their cats on the stock mid pipe too, that way they pass a physical inspection. Good thing in Mi we dont have to have inspections, it almost makes dealing with our awful roads, and high insurance worth it!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #3

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Welcome to ME! Post some pics of your car too when you can.

As far as the exhaust (this is an exhausting...Get it? Get it? Topic on ME lol) but I dont think with a stock mid pipe the super 10s would be quite as loud as the off road H with 40s or 44s. It may be close and it would be loud for sure if thats what youre after. The best thing for you it sounds like other than the expense thing which I completely understand by the way, is a catted h pipe, they have 2 cats, instead of the 6 your stock mid pipe has. This would wake it up nice, if doing this I would go with a 40- 2 chamber Flowmaster then. It will be plenty loud and probably to a lot of enthusiasts sound better than your buddies becuase it isnt as loud if that makes sense. It would for sure sound great with that set up to me anyway. Cant beat the sound of a 2 valve, h pipe, and Flowmaster 2 chambers, classic Mustang sound really. Some people dont like the Flowmaster sound because so many of them have it, I used to not like it as much either or wanted something different but now I actually want more of that set up. My 96 GT has an off road x midpipe from BBK and Magnaflow Magnapack mufflers, it sounds good, has a nice tone, deep sounding at idle and crusing, screams at WOT of course but it has rasp and is a little higher pitched than an h pipe. On my 03 I got recently it has Flowmaster 40s welded in from previous owner already and they do sound good, just needs to be a touch louder for me. I probably will go with an off road H because their cheaper and you can find more of them used budget is something Im on as well, but if I found a deal on a catted h pipe I would pick that up instead. If you think of an x pipe having a "nascar" sound and a h pipe having a "muscle car" sound thats the easiest way to explain them I have found. Also many will say use a straight thru muffler like a Magnapack, SLP with an x pipe, and a chambered muffler like a Flowmaster, Dynomax on a h pipe. None of that really matters it all is what sounds best to you, everyone has different tastes on exhaust. No matter what route you go with it, 2 valve Mustangs always sound good with any kind of aftermarket exhaust. I think you would be happy with the 10s being welded in and in the future if you find the right deal on a h pipe you can install that.

This probably didnt help you at all, Im rambling, 14 hr day at work and Im beyond being tired and cant sleep, ha. Just keep listening to videos etc and find what sound you like. Some guys hollow out their cats on the stock mid pipe too, that way they pass a physical inspection. Good thing in Mi we dont have to have inspections, it almost makes dealing with our awful roads, and high insurance worth it!

Thanks man for the reply. So if I was keeping the stock h pipe on and I was trying to get it as loud as it would be with an O/R H pipe which muffler would you recommend the super 10s or the 40s or should I be looking at a different brand of muffler. Or if it's impossible to get the same amount of loudness by just changing the muffler. Just thinking about it just putting a straight pipe were the muffler is would probably be the loudest but do you know how loud it would be? I want it to be loud but I also care about the tone of the exhaust as well.
01gtstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01gtstang01 View Post
Thanks man for the reply. So if I was keeping the stock h pipe on and I was trying to get it as loud as it would be with an O/R H pipe which muffler would you recommend the super 10s or the 40s or should I be looking at a different brand of muffler. Or if it's impossible to get the same amount of loudness by just changing the muffler. Just thinking about it just putting a straight pipe were the muffler is would probably be the loudest but do you know how loud it would be? I want it to be loud but I also care about the tone of the exhaust as well.
IMO a straight pipe system never sounds great, sounds like a 78 Ford Camper Edition truck, ha. But it would be loud I guess. If you want it as loud as possible with a Flowmaster go with a 10 series, there 1 chamber and will the their loudest. You can also look into a SLP 1 which is basically a straight through resonator, be the same alomst as a straight pipe but it would give you a little more tone to the exhaust. I would prefer a SLP 1 over a straight pipe if I had to choose. SLP 1 will be louder than the Flow 10 as well, maybe not by much but it will be. You wont acheive the same sound as a Mustang with an off road pipe by just changing mufflers, with a 10 or a SLP you will be closer.

Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT