Missing Bama Tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Missing Bama Tuner

I got back in touch with the previous owner of my 02 GT. I knew a tuner was used to calibrate the speedometer after the gear install, but I did not know what tuner was used. The previous owner said he used a BAMA tuner from American Muscle, but is not sure where it is at the moment. It would be nice to have the tuner that is married to the car.

Here is the real question; am I at a loss if I cannot get my hands on the tuner that was used?

I am also pretty sure the car was tuned to 93 octane. It has a spark knock with 87.

I will have to contact American Muscle to ask about tunes and future tunes that the programmer has if I can get it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Offer the previous owner a little cash if he can find the tuner.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Offer the previous owner a little cash if he can find the tuner.
Right now that is not a possibility. I have already invested money into the car. I have a few other problems that may turn out to be expensive. Add in that I am not far from needing a new set of tires and the tuner becomes something I am hoping he finds in his own.

In my opinion, a tuner such as BAMA should be a part of the sale due to the fact that the programmer is literally married to the car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Well might need to buy another one.

Respect the Classics.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
Well might need to buy another one.

Respect the Classics.
Possibly, but at the moment I am trying to remain positive about the tuner being found.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I bought a used sct turner and I was able to change the gear ratio and other small modifications without a tune from bama.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Missing Bama Tuner

Just one solution.

Respect the Classics.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
Just one solution.

Respect the Classics.
I have kept in touch with the owner. He appears to be a genuine guy. He has been honest and forthcoming with everything I have asked. I may have to buy a tuner, but my hope is that I can have the original that the car is matched with.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Right now that is not a possibility. I have already invested money into the car. I have a few other problems that may turn out to be expensive. Add in that I am not far from needing a new set of tires and the tuner becomes something I am hoping he finds in his own.

In my opinion, a tuner such as BAMA should be a part of the sale due to the fact that the programmer is literally married to the car.
----------------------------------------------
Not everyone loads tunes into their cars. They purchased it, so why should it be part of the sale? They may use it on another car.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Not everyone loads tunes into their cars. They purchased it, so why should it be part of the sale? They may use it on another car.
That is understandable for someone that has another Mustang. However, it would have been nice up front to have known that a tuner was matched to this car. That tuner could possibly give me a lot of answers I need concerning modifications that have been done in the past.

The owner also purchased the tires on the car. Does that mean he can keep the tires and sell only the car? Certainly that could happen. I watched people sell vehicles and not include aftermarket stereos, Optima batteries, wheels, etc. These people were up front in the purchase that those items did not go with the car.

In my case, the programmer directly effects the car in terms of performance, user ability, maintainance, and future upgrades or repairs. If I had been told upfront about the tuner things would be different. If the original owner wanted to keep the tuner we could have agreed or disagreed at the point of sale. In fact, I could have asked for the factory tune to have been installed before delivery. I had to learn through trial and error that a tuner was used, and then ask what product was installed.

Always be upfront with those you do business with.

When I sold my last Hayabusa, I was open and honest about every aspect of the bike. I let the purchaser tell me what he wanted. At the time of sale he was not interested in the rear seat of the bike, only the cowl. I intended on giving him the rear seat, as well as the other parts purchased over the years. I forgot the seat.

A few weeks later the new owner asked about the rear seat. I got his address and mailed him a box full of free parts. He got clutch kits, a windscreen, the rear seat, a rear stand, the factory rear inner fender for the rear of the bike, etc. I no longer needed the parts. That is how I do things though.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:08 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Before I forget; this car is tuned, and it is married to a specific tuner. I think that is an important detail.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:45 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Yeah keeping the tuner when it is married to the car makes 0 sense. Contact bama and see if they can get you your stock file at the very least. Or talk to the previous owner and see if he backed up the stock tune.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Before I forget; this car is tuned, and it is married to a specific tuner. I think that is an important detail.

------------------------
If it's so important, why didn't you ask before you purchased the car?

I think that is an IMPORTANT QUESTION before purchasing.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
------------------------
If it's so important, why didn't you ask before you purchased the car?

I think that is an IMPORTANT QUESTION before purchasing.
I didn't have enough information to ask when I bought the car. I had no idea about the hand held programmers. I did all of my tuning on my race bikes with a laptop. I guess you could say that programmers of this nature are new to me.

I appreciate your well thought out answer.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I got back with the previous owner. I have the tuner. I will post the build sheet later and see if anyone here can tell me what has been changed.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Glad it worked out for you. Would be nice if people always went back to factory when selling car. Or at least let you know what was done.
WoodDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodDA View Post
Glad it worked out for you. Would be nice if people always went back to factory when selling car. Or at least let you know what was done.
I agree. It's never fun walking into an unknown situation. However, when you buy a used car that is a risk you take.

I feel really lucky to have the build sheet along with the tuner. Now I just need to understand it.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I think I know what has been altered, but am not 100% certain. Can someone tell me what has been reprogrammed in this tune?

Old 04-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I do plan to use the programmer in the near future to disable to PATS system. I hate that particular security feature. I also look forward to replacing the exhaust at some point. Right now I have a drive train issue to focus on.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:46 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The rear end gear ratio, obviously.
It looks like there is 3 different tunes, all of which should have different fuel and timing curves than the factory tune.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
The rear end gear ratio, obviously.
It looks like there is 3 different tunes, all of which should have different fuel and timing curves than the factory tune.
Is there a way to find out what tune the car has and change between the three?

I'm pretty sure the car is tuned for 93 Octane. It has a nasty spark knock if 87 is used.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yes.
Did the tuner come with a set of instructions?
If not, you need to find a set, or possibly a video tutorial.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

It came with a one page pictorial or what to do. It looks like I am about to watch a few YouTube videos.

I am curious as to whether or not the car gets better fuel mileage running with 93 octane vs 87.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Nah youll get the same fuel economy 93 or 87 at least in my car it does just a little funner tuned to 93

Sent from my LG-H811 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
Nah youll get the same fuel economy 93 or 87 at least in my car it does just a little funner tuned to 93

Sent from my LG-H811 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
That's good to hear.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT