03 Saleen worth the price? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
03 Saleen worth the price?

Just casually looking and ran across an 03 Saleen at a dealer.

Has 81k miles they want 13k for it. Car is waaaaaayyy out of the way, all the way across the country. Only mod I can see from the pictures is a K&N CAI. Dealer is going to get back to me with with any extras, also theres some paint dings on the front that will be fixed.

Has a clean carfax for whatever thats worth. 4 owners though

Sound like a decent deal?
2013 Mustang GT Auto [Ruby!] Pypes Super Catback system, RTR Shocks/Struts, SR Lowering Springs, SVE Series 3 rims, GT/CS spoiler, RTR chin spoiler, JBA H pipe, Eibach LCA, SR panhard bar...Vortech JT Trim coming soon
KP_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Supercharged? I find that most dealers and owners ask way to much for the Saleens, especially the non-supercharged ones.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry forgot to add its NA
2013 Mustang GT Auto [Ruby!] Pypes Super Catback system, RTR Shocks/Struts, SR Lowering Springs, SVE Series 3 rims, GT/CS spoiler, RTR chin spoiler, JBA H pipe, Eibach LCA, SR panhard bar...Vortech JT Trim coming soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm, personally I think it's way too much just based off your description. Do you happen to have a link to the car?
Old 04-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Inventory - Hi-End Auto Sales

Yeah heres the link. Couldnt get anything more direct than that but if you use the links on the left hand side bar go to Ford>Saleen it should be right there
Old 04-26-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Looks to be pretty clean, in my opinion it's still over priced but that's to be expected from a dealer. Looks like it also has underdrive pulleys on it and possibly a short throw. Those seats do look nice though.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Way over price!.. It's just a GT with a body kit and name!..

Sent from the One and Only ME!..🍻
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Way over price!.. It's just a GT with a body kit and name!..

Sent from the One and Only ME!..🍻

But it's such a nice car 😢 lol na I hear you. Either way I was going to try and talk him down some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Looks to be pretty clean, in my opinion it's still over priced but that's to be expected from a dealer. Looks like it also has underdrive pulleys on it and possibly a short throw. Those seats do look nice though.

Ok thank you for pointing those out. He sent me a video of when he had the car a previous time which I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing but either way I'm gonna take my time with it. Maybe see if he'll drop it some

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 04-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
That price is not unheard of For those I think 11k would be max I would pay. You can get a 2011 Coyote for 20k

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Funny I was thinking maybe 11k or somewhere around there.

I already have a 13 so I was looking for something in the 03-04 range. Might just see about a Mach 1 or Cobra

Old 04-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't mind finding a clean in Mach 1 in one of the brighter Colors. I've only found black and Gray one at decent prices.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
^ Azure and Comp.

Respect the Classics.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
I wouldn't mind finding a clean in Mach 1 in one of the brighter Colors. I've only found black and Gray one at decent prices.

Same guy has 3 yellow and 2 red Mach 1s for sale. A few of them are up there in the mileage though. He has a blue one 3500 miles on it as well, looks very clean.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:40 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Here on the Coast there are a lot of Mach 1's with less than 80k miles and they are going for around $13k.....over 100k are about $3k less. I'd look for one that hasn't been mod'd. I bought an 03 Cobra last year with less than 6k miles....now the car has over 7k miles and I wouldn't let it go for under $25k....again if you do find a Cobra within your price range pay a lot of attention to the rear suspension and motor and look for one with stock pulleys and as few mods as you can find.
Although a lot of people say these motors are bullet proof.....I recently had the pleasure to see one torn down and even though it had low mileage it came apart when they tried to make 700hp at the wheels.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Sorry, I didn't realize you were in California....I would assume you have a ton of cars down there to pick from.....I'd stay away from consignment places as they tend to inflate their prices.....IMHO

Cars for Sale: Used 2003 Ford Mustang in Mach 1, Oxnard CA: 93036 Details - Coupe - Autotrader

Cars for Sale: Used 2004 Ford Mustang in Mach 1 Coupe, Everett WA: 98204 Details - Coupe - Autotrader

This one is close to me...

Cars for Sale: Used 2003 Ford Mustang in Mach 1 Coupe, PUYALLUP WA: 98371 Details - Coupe - Autotrader

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...27474011&Log=0
Old 04-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Here on the Coast there are a lot of Mach 1's with less than 80k miles and they are going for around $13k.....over 100k are about $3k less. I'd look for one that hasn't been mod'd. I bought an 03 Cobra last year with less than 6k miles....now the car has over 7k miles and I wouldn't let it go for under $25k....again if you do find a Cobra within your price range pay a lot of attention to the rear suspension and motor and look for one with stock pulleys and as few mods as you can find.
Although a lot of people say these motors are bullet proof.....I recently had the pleasure to see one torn down and even though it had low mileage it came apart when they tried to make 700hp at the wheels.
Did you find your Cobra on the West coast? I'm being somewhat casual with my search. The last one I went to look at was supposedly 100% stock but after closer inspection it had failed smog a few times had aftermarket exhaust and what looked like a few marks around the blower snout.

I think a Mach 1 would be somewhat of a back up plan if i couldn't find a Cobra that i was willing to pull the trigger on. Thanks for those links though it gives me a good price point to go off of.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post

You do have to be careful buying Cobras because a lot of them have "low mileage" and have been de-modded so it's hard to tell if they were abused or not.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
You do have to be careful buying Cobras because a lot of them have "low mileage" and have been de-modded so it's hard to tell if they were abused or not.

If a 03/04 Cobra has very low miles...below 10k...at least of the handful I looked at before I bought this two owner car.....none had any mods. Mine is "bone" stock and has all of the service records...and if you are going to pay this kind of money for an 03/04 Cobra I would assume you have all of ducks in a row.
If mine had 30/40k miles it would be mod'd also.
Although I had thought about putting a big number on the car and putting it in the upcoming Mecum auction there will be one 03 with around 4k miles that will be in the auction....it is also "bone" stock and will be interesting to see what numbers it pulls down.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP_510 View Post
Did you find your Cobra on the West coast? I'm being somewhat casual with my search. The last one I went to look at was supposedly 100% stock but after closer inspection it had failed smog a few times had aftermarket exhaust and what looked like a few marks around the blower snout.

I think a Mach 1 would be somewhat of a back up plan if i couldn't find a Cobra that i was willing to pull the trigger on. Thanks for those links though it gives me a good price point to go off of.
I found it by word of mouth and yes, it came from Oregon.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Looks like a $7k car to me.

Carfax is expensive but low quality toilet paper. It's only useful if it tells you something is wrong, it's misleading if it's clean and you think that means anything.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #20
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
If you plan to pay around that much, you could get a really nice Mach 1 with decent miles.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Cobra would be a better choice, dealers around me too are scoundrels.

Went to look at an 01 Red Cobra, had 86k, the engine was sputtering and they still wanted $12.5k because of the "Cobra" name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

^ Awesome isn't it.

Respect the classics.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Second what was already said. Way overpriced for a NA 2V with a body kit and "Saleen" on the side.

At that price you can get a stupid clean 4V or pay $6-$7k for a clean 2V and put the rest towards mods and a blower.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
^ Awesome isn't it.

Respect the classics.
Of course, it was a Buy Here Pay Here dealer so I knew the price wasn't amazing, but I expected the car to at least run decently.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys I think I'm just going to continue my search. This car will most likely be my new daily so I wanna make sure I get something I won't regret. Gonna look into a few of the 2v and 4v

Old 04-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Double post.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Expect too much from those type of dealers around here.

Respect the classics.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:44 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
13k is wayyyyy overpriced.. Maybe a car collector would pay for it but if you want a saleen buy a GT and put the body kit on it, or wait and look for an original one that's supercharged.
lyonschoice is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT