Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Cams, Cams, Cams

8K views 91 replies 11 participants last post by  Slater2111 
#1 ·
Well my build might be moving along here soon. I got a very nice surprise from my VA disability this weekend. They finally approved my claims and back paid me a very large chunk of money. But I can't use it until I get the job with GE aviation I have an interview for this Friday. So here's hoping I get that.
Let's get to the point. I want cams. I have been looking at 3 different cams.
Hitech stage 2 specs are Specs: 234/230 duration, 111 lobe sep, .550/.500 lift

Cushman stage 1 specs
Specs .540"/.550" lift 224/226 .50 duration
with 110 lobe separation

Modular head shop nitrous cams
specs 225/230 at .550/.525 lift center lines 110/110 lobe separation 110

I will also buy the trick flow timing kit, get the cams degrees wherever I buy from, new lash adjusters, supercar GT followers and possibly a spring kit.
These three cam combos will run around 2000 in parts.
What do you all think?

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well you can get your cams reground into HP292s which you can drop right back in with the stock timing marks and stock springs. $450 shipped. You really don't need the supercar followers and if you can successfully bleed down your lash adjusters they are fine as well. Hell... I now have um... 128 OEM lash adjusters so I think I can get 32 good ones lol. I will have extras I'm sure if you need any. Damn same with the OEM followers actually rofl.

Why not leave the stock cams in there and put the $2k towards some fuel and a supercharger? Or do you not want to go that route?

#3 ·
I have a lash adjuster tick so it needs new lash adjusters atleast. I don't know how much the tick has effected the cam lobe so might as well replace it as well. I really wanted a cam first. So I'm going to stay that route for now. As far as re grinding the stockers it's not something I have looked into but will consider. I was really looking for a pull out and swap cam. The cams listed have good specs and none of the really require springs but they have 212k on those as well might as replace it. If you have 16 good lash adjusters you'll let go of I will have to hit you up when I get ready if you're willing Scotty.

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.

#4 ·
I called Hitech this morning and spoke with the owner. He was very informative and told me what all I would need. Looks like I'm going to go with Hitech stage 2. He recommended manly valve springs and plain old ford timing kit components. I'm still going to do the supercar followers since the kit from MMR isn't much more money than piecing together new OEM ones. As for lash adjusters, if you want to sell me some when it comes time Scotty I'm all for it.

#5 ·
You should be very happy with the Hi Tech stage 2 cams. Buddy has them in his 01 GT, and it sounds very good. Before he installed his Procharger on NA he was making just shy of 300RWHP with just the cams, tune, and exhaust. Since he went boosted with upgraded fuel system he's 429RWHP. He's also still running the factory valve springs in his car. 30K on cams, 20K on boost. NO PROBLEMS.

I ordered some CMS stage 2 cams April 1st, and I'm still waiting for my order to be filled. Already got their upgraded valve springs. Hoping to get all the junk installed, and tuned before the Oreilly summer nationals in July.

#6 ·
I am actually switching to CMS stage 2 cams. I can get them cheaper than Hitech and still get them degreed correctly. I contacted them today and asked a bunch of questions and they promptly answered each one. They're less money and I wanted to use them originally.

#8 ·
Awesome man! I'm nervous to order them and install them. I don't want to mess anything up.

#9 ·
Haha my 96-98 Cobra cams were free :p. Getting a free set from a 99 today.

4v ftw!

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#10 ·
Hey Scotty got any tips on doing the cams. I'm going to have them degreed so it should be dark link to dot. Right?

#11 ·
They will send you instructions, it will be "dot to dot" as far as the install yes. I'm going to have to learn to do the 4V myself actually, should be a good experience to DIY. The nice thing about the 4V is you can advance/re-tard the intake and exhaust sides independently of each other.

#12 ·
I think I've watched and read a couple dozen YouTube videos and articles on how to do it by now. It honestly doesn't look that bad, even replacing the valve springs and seals with the head on. Just have to pay attention. I'm going to get the trick flow timing kit with adjustable crank gears. So I should be able to adjust it back into spec and make the most power. Cams, lash adjusters, timing kit, valve spring kit and degree service came out to 1509 on the dot after military discount and shipping.

#13 ·
If you guys have any questions on the cam install I'm more than happy to answer em just message me I'll give you my cell and be your "tech" 24/7 lol I have done them a lot now, I did it 3 times on my build this last semester lol

04 GT: CAI, 3.73's, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, Ported/Polished heads, Manley dished/notched pistons, MMR forged H beam rods, FRPP forged crank, BBK 75mm throttle body, MSD coils, 60lb EV6 injectors, Eddy Vic Jr intake, UPR coilovers in front, Steeda lowering springs in rear, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates, UPR k member, 355lph walbro pump, MMR 8qt oil pan, ARP hardware, EGR delete, A/C delete, ABS delete, EVAP delete.

Honda weight with an American V8

#14 ·
Awesome man! I appreciate it! I'll have to get them first and then find the time to have my car down for a couple days.

#15 ·
Be careful, first 10 minutes are free but then it's $4.99/min after that. Make sure you know what an Angry Dragon is.

Wait wrong forum...

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#16 ·
Lol

#17 ·
Alright guys, I'm ordering the CMS stage 2 cams on Monday. Anything I should get besides what I've listed?

#20 ·
Yea I'm ordering the BTR stage 2 valve spring kit with titanium locks.

#25 ·
Ill negoiate some. Ill take 1 Cleveland Steamer and a Barking Spider Spice Muffin. Ok?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#24 ·
Ok order placed with Cushman. Very big thanks to Keeney's phone service. Lol. I bought the stage 2 cams, degree service, lash adjusters, timing kit with billet adjustable gears and .600 lift springs with titanium retainers. Now we wait.

#27 ·
Auto part

Got my valve spring compressor. This thing is robust to say the least. It appears you can do two cylinders at a time without removing the tool to place it in a different spot. Hopefully it works as well as its advertised.

#28 ·
I'm probably being paranoid or just playing it safe. But I think I'm going to call MMR tomorrow to see about ordering supercar followers. I don't have a good feeling about reusing the 212k mile followers in the car now. Plus the weight savings and extra oiling would be a bonus.

#29 · (Edited)
The guys at MMR are actually very nice. I ordered a set of supercar followers shipped 192.99. Better be safe than sorry. The increased oiling is the best part.
Apparently these followers give you around a 5rwhp gain. But I won't hold my breath. Haha.

#30 ·
Electronic component Electrical connector Fashion accessory Zipper Metal

Supercar followers just got here.

#31 ·
View attachment 201824
Supercar followers just got here.

Key up the music....."its going down fo reel"

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#32 ·
Im still waiting on the rest of the goodies. Right now all I have is gaskets, gasket maker, valve tool, fluids and the followers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.