Benefits of EGR delete? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Benefits of EGR delete?

Thinking about doing some long tubes on the ole GT and was looking at EGR deletes. I know how the EGR functions, but cant understand the benefit of deleting it???

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
0440thgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Cleaner engine bay. That's it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
10-4

0440thgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I think the real question is; what is the EGR, and why does the car have it if it doesn't need it?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I think the real question is; what is the EGR, and why does the car have it if it doesn't need it?

Its been discussed ad-nauseum on this and multiple other forums. Its on there for emissions reasons but deleting it frees up zero power so in the end, it just cleans up the engine bay. And is also illegal to delete...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Its been discussed ad-nauseum on this and multiple other forums. Its on there for emissions reasons but deleting it frees up zero power so in the end, it just cleans up the engine bay. And is also illegal to delete...
Interesting. My 03 Ram doesn't have an EGR. It came from the factory without one. So why is it illegal, and if it does nothing, why add it in the first place?

Old 05-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

I didn't say it did nothing, I said it did nothing power wise to delete it. And as it is a factory emissions item, deleting it is illegal. Dodge started putting it on the Hemis in 04. Probably because of increasing Federal emissions regulations TBTH.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

As for the EGR; it stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. I have looked at this system over and over again, and I cannot find a single use it to be on an engine. On the flip side of the coin, the EGR hurts nothing remaining in place. In my mind it would appear to introduce unwanted hot air to the air fuel ratio, but I don't think it is enough to hurt anything.

...and Scotty is correct, it is illegal to remove any factory installed smog emissions on a street driven vehicle, despite their value or lack thereof. It is illegal to remove catalytic converters, yet millions of cars have had the cats removed.

Right now I am not a fan of regulated emissions. I am looking for an engine for my Dodge Ram due to clogged cats. There was no obvious warning sign at all that pointed towards the cats being clogged on my truck. No foul smell, no lights, and no noticeable lack of power.

I say there were no obvious signs because there were multiple warning signs that pointed to extreme back pressure in the engine. I blew a radiator, and after replacing that the bottom radiator hose blew off, running the engine hot before the temp guage could warn me (sensors designed to measure liquids do not read hot air and steam well). I buttoned that up and assumed the hose to be my fault. I checked everything over and nothing appeared to be damaged. The next weak link was the seam in the coolant overflow box. After that was repaired the water pump started to leak. I replaced every part of the cooling system without thinking about back pressure.

The next weak link in my cooling system was caused when the engine over heated. I had a head gasket blow. I could see air pumping via bubbles through the radiator. By that time it was too late. The heads on my truck are trashed, and the bottom end is destroyed due to coolant being introduced to the oil in mass quantities. To make things more interesting, the intake plenum was full of oil.

I know, that was a long post. I just felt like clearing up my negative opinion concerning emission systems. Plus it may give someone else a warning sign before they lose their own engine.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1462759385.219952.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	200762

Cleans up engine
Just recirculates I unburned exhaust gasses back down the intake manifold during regular driving
Does nothing at WOT

Hutch22v is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT