How to tell if it's stock or not - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
How to tell if it's stock or not

Sorry if this is a dumb thread, but I'm trying to learn about my 2004 GT and I've been following ME for a while now and noticed you guys know what you're talking about!

The question is how do I tell if there are aftermarket parts on my mustang? I can tell the exhaust is SLP, but what about other things like under the hood? Such as CAI, pulleys, TB, plenum, etc.
salsa04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
If the CAI is a completely closed box it's more than likely the stock air box, or the stock air box with a drop in filter. Most aftermarket CAIs are open, at least at the top. If the throttle body doesn't have an aftermarket brand such as BBK on it odds are its stock. I'm pretty sure the brands are usually easy to spot on throttle bodies. There's people here that know much more than I do though, I don't know much about the new edge mustangs. Why don't you post some pics of your engine bay so someone could just directly tell you if it's stock or not?

Btw good luck with your car!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Ferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Post a picture and we could probably help a bit

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1462321438.299630.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	200552Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1462321451.665392.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	200553Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1462321466.198592.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	200554Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1462321479.632611.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	200555

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it! I'm looking to make progress with her soon and ME is my go-to with anything.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
You're good. Engine isn't molested.

Respect the classics.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Stock

Sent from my LG-H811 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
That is a bone stock engine.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Easy to figure out.

Is it fast?
If yes, then it isn't stock.
If no, then yes it's stock lol

These cars aren't fast stock by any means, they are fun tho.

However there are many things you can do to "wake the car up" and make it feel like a very different, quicker car without breaking the bank.

You mentioned it had SLP exhaust, so that's a good start.

Your first mods should be:

Gears (3.73 or 4.10)

Good off road mid pipe if you don't have emissions testing if not at least get an aftermarket catted mid pipe

Short throw shifter if it's a stick, if not you need to j-mod the auto trans(Google jmod)

After that you will need some suspension work no sense in having the mods I listed above if you can't get traction.

Get a good set of lowering springs (I like steeda)

Shocks and struts (koni oranges are cheap and good quality)

Steeda x2 ball joints

Caster camber plates

Subframes connectors (full length)

Rear control arms

And a good tire. Depending on what kind of driving you'll be doing will determine the tire. If it's daily driven but you still want to be able to hook and drive it in rain, then a nitto drag radial is good (555R) if your just gonna drive it in good weather and want the best hook go with Mickey Thompson et streets, or just a good all around tire that I like are toyo r888's.

With that you won't be in it that much $$ and will have a completely different car then you do now.

If you wanna go all out with it and pour your heart, soul and bank account into it then click on my thread "where to go next" and read thru it.

I'm about 5-7k into this engine which seems like a lot but when I'm pushing 375 on motor and 600+hp with boost it's all worth it

Here's some eye candy for motivation Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1462326540.803667.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	200561

04 GT: CAI, 3.73's, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, Ported/Polished heads, Manley dished/notched pistons, MMR forged H beam rods, FRPP forged crank, BBK 75mm throttle body, MSD coils, 60lb EV6 injectors, Eddy Vic Jr intake, UPR coilovers in front, Steeda lowering springs in rear, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates, UPR k member, 355lph walbro pump, MMR 8qt oil pan, ARP hardware, EGR delete, A/C delete, ABS delete, EVAP delete.

Honda weight with an American V8
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

A bolt on 2v isn't fast either..

Old 05-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post

Never said they are lol depends on what your comparing it to as well lol

04 GT: CAI, 3.73's, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, Ported/Polished heads, Manley dished/notched pistons, MMR forged H beam rods, FRPP forged crank, BBK 75mm throttle body, MSD coils, 60lb EV6 injectors, Eddy Vic Jr intake, UPR coilovers in front, Steeda lowering springs in rear, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates, UPR k member, 355lph walbro pump, MMR 8qt oil pan, ARP hardware, EGR delete, A/C delete, ABS delete, EVAP delete.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My car is faster than Mustangs that are 10 years older.

Ok, by today's standards the New Edge is slow. When I was drag racing bikes I would occassionally unhook my Ram from the trailer and beat 99-04 Mustangs on the track. Some of that may have been experience at the light, but the Mustang was beat by a quad cab Dodge Ram.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

By the way, my favorite Mustang is the New Edge. I even bought one after searching for months for a bone stock convertible. The 2v can be built to be fast, but it won't be cheap.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Cheap, fast, reliable.

You can only pick two.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeney35 View Post
Cheap, fast, reliable.

You can only pick two.

Fast and reliable are rare in the world of Ford.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:41 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
My car is faster than Mustangs that are 10 years older.

Ok, by today's standards the New Edge is slow. When I was drag racing bikes I would occassionally unhook my Ram from the trailer and beat 99-04 Mustangs on the track. Some of that may have been experience at the light, but the Mustang was beat by a quad cab Dodge Ram.

I have a single cab ram hemi with factory 3.92 gears and it feels twice as fast as my gt but the new edge is one of the best mustangs bodies, its true.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:43 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Easy to figure out.

Is it fast?

However there are many things you can do to "wake the car up" and make it feel like a very different, quicker car without breaking the bank.

Gears (3.73 or 4.10)

Good off road mid pipe if you don't have emissions testing if not at least get an aftermarket catted mid pipe

Short throw shifter if it's a stick, if not you need to j-mod the auto trans(Google jmod)

After that you will need some suspension work no sense in having the mods I listed above if you can't get traction.

Steeda x2 ball joints

Caster camber plates

Rear control arms

And a good tire. Depending on what kind of driving you'll be doing will determine the tire. If it's daily driven but you still want to be able to hook and drive it in rain, then a nitto drag radial is good (555R) if your just gonna drive it in good weather and want the best hook go with Mickey Thompson et streets, or just a good all around tire that I like are toyo r888's.

With that you won't be in it that much $$ and will have a completely different car then you do now.

If you wanna go all out with it and pour your heart, soul and bank account into it then click on my thread "where to go next" and read thru it.

I'm about 5-7k into this engine which seems like a lot but when I'm pushing 375 on motor and 600+hp with boost it's all worth it

Here's some eye candy for motivation Attachment 200561

Keeney it looks like you build one badass engine. I wish I had those skills.

99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Old 05-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:

Hell I don't even consider my car to be fast
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:01 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Keeney, nice ride.

Mud
Old 05-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks fellas, 2v's can be bad but it ain't cheap but nothing's better than whipping up on 4v and ls cars with a 2v

Old 05-04-2016, 08:01 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Buiding a fast 2v is extremely expensive. Anything can be done with enough money and the right technology.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I was told that I could not push a Honda CBR900RR to 200mph. The engine was bored over and stroked. The head was massaged and polished. All four carbs were bored over, rejetted, and polished. After all was said and done I had a CBR frame with a custom engine, and a carbon fiber body fairing.

I ran 211mph in Maxton.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Easy to figure out.

Is it fast?

Gears (3.73 or 4.10)

Steeda x2 ball joints

Caster camber plates

Rear control arms

Here's some eye candy for motivation Attachment 200561

Thanks to everyone that let me know it was stock for sure.

And keeney I've been following your build since the beginning and it is bad *** man. Serious motivation for others like me who look for insight and information based on experience. There are a few others on this forum who know who they are that fall in the same category. Thanks for everything guys.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Virgin Engine Bay

Hutch22v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone know if the stock coil packs are suppose to be yellow?

Old 05-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Stock COP are black

Hutch22v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I ll get a picture maybe there not the coil packs

Old 05-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I was just wondering if its ever had the spark plugs changed, it has 49k

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1462759988193.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	200763  
Old 05-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I estimate maybe 250hp or less lol

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1462760348570.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	200764  
Old 05-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

The yellow parts are the fuel injectors.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Oh damn I don t know too much of our engines yet but they are the stock for sure?

Old 05-08-2016, 09:40 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast408 View Post
Oh damn I don t know too much of our engines yet but they are the stock for sure?

Bone stock. Everything under that good is OEM or OEM spec from what I can see.

I have an 02 GT and the cars are identical under the hood.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:46 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Bone stock. Everything under that good is OEM or OEM spec from what I can see.

I have an 02 GT and the cars are identical under the hood.

Okay thanks Revvv.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

My mildly bolt on 2v walks 3vs tbh

Mac o/r H pipe. Flow master super 44s. Accufab 70mm throttle body. Pro comp intake manifold. MSD coils
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Whatever you say

Old 05-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Whatever you say

I have the vids lol

Mac o/r H pipe. Flow master super 44s. Accufab 70mm throttle body. Pro comp intake manifold. MSD coils
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT