Learning cams - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Learning cams

Okay guys I'm not really good when it comes to cam talk so if anyone wants to teach me about cams and how to adjust,sizing..etc.. That would be great . Just wanting to get a little knowledge about them on my car .

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Here is an article that will give you a good general understanding of how camshafts work. They are referring to Chevrolet engines but the theory is the same for all engines, regardless of the amount or location of the cams.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/148...t-terms-guide/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Good article about cams themselves for sure.

But maybe he is talking about the overhead cam setup in a modular? That gets a bit more complex.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

But maybe he is talking about the overhead cam setup in a modular? That gets a bit more complex.

Yes Scotty you are right but I read the article and it's helping out .. It's just one of those things I got to keep re-reading over an over lol

Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Aside from there being a hell of a lot more timing chain, and an extra cam, and some tensioners and stuff, the cams in a OHC engine work just like the cam in a pushrod engine.
It does become a bit more complex, the more cams that you are dealing with, but if a person can understand how to setup one cam, they will be able to figure out how to do 2 or more cams.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsstang View Post
Yes Scotty you are right but I read the article and it's helping out .. It's just one of those things I got to keep re-reading over an over lol

You'll get it.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
You'll get it.

Thanks guys

Old 05-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well any good shop or installer will generally even degree a pushrod cam. For modulars you have to degree especially 4V engines. Lots of slop can get into the timing system and even from the factory many 4.6s aren't optimized as far as that goes. Many owners have picked up power just by degreeing their stock cams...

If you are looking at a camshaft swap you will need to learn to do this or pay for a degree service. Most ppl with a 2V just opt for a degree service on aftermarket cams.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. I suppose that there is 2 or even 4 times the work, depending upon the heads.
And from my limited research, it looks like you can spend as much money on timing components as you can on cams for these modulars, to eliminate some of the cam timing slop.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Depends on the person installing it also. I know a few people who find it easier to work on OHC cams than OHV.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Depends on the person installing it also. I know a few people who find it easier to work on OHC cams than OHV.

I would rather deal with OHC than push rods.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

I hate the pushrods themselves and the witness marks and everything... blah. But then no having to degree anything. I mean... its still best practice for the top builders but for a backyard guy... "dot to dot" with a new timing chain is fine.

I just like how much power a 4V motor can make and still get like 25mpg when you keep your foot out of it. One reason I switched from 2V. I've got 2 sets of Terminator and 2 sets of 96-98 Cobra cams I basically got all of them for free and all of them will make big power especially the 96-98s. And bone stock street manners with stock HCI. Although a well dialed in 2V will idle and drive like stock too even with aftermarket cams.

But then you need to pay for a degree service or learn yourself. I'm going the latter route.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
I hate the pushrods themselves and the witness marks and everything... blah. But then no having to degree anything. I mean... its still best practice for the top builders but for a backyard guy... "dot to dot" with a new timing chain is fine.

I just like how much power a 4V motor can make and still get like 25mpg when you keep your foot out of it. One reason I switched from 2V. I've got 2 sets of Terminator and 2 sets of 96-98 Cobra cams I basically got all of them for free and all of them will make big power especially the 96-98s. And bone stock street manners with stock HCI. Although a well dialed in 2V will idle and drive like stock too even with aftermarket cams.

But then you need to pay for a degree service or learn yourself. I'm going the latter route.
I have been around engines my entire life. The one engine I always avoided was Ford, and now I own one.

I had a 64 1/4 Mustang, but I never opened that engine. I am not even interested in changing the plugs in my 02. I opened the hood and everything is in the way. I have to pull the air intake and the fuel rail. People say you don't need to, but the fuel rail is over the coils and plugs.

I closed the hood for another day.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT