smoke taking off from red lights and sometimes at idle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #1

Region: Florida
smoke taking off from red lights and sometimes at idle

Hello members, im gettin white smoke sometimes when I take off from red lights and sometimes at idle, seems to be after car has warmed up.
Very discouraging and embarrasing.
2001 BULLITT. I have changed out the PCV valve with the correct $38 replacement. Wondering if it may be the valve stem seals.Any comments?
lamarwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
White smoke is usually caused by water or coolant entering the combustion chamber. This can happen when the intake manifold gasket or the head gaskets begin to leak. A cooling system pressure check will tell you if the system is holding pressure, or if there is a leak somewhere.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
also look at your oil if it's a milky/tan color that ain't a good sign
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #4

smoke after taking off from red lights

Thank you guys for responding.
The smoke I'm seeing actually smells like oil. I'm not loosing any coolant at all and my oil looks normal.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #5

I'm planning on doing a cylinder leak down test, compression test soon, I'll include the cooling system pressure test also.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeah, mine is having smoke and oil consumption issues as well.
Let us know what you find.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I don't know if you have an automatic trans or not, and although I'm not really sure if there any vacuum lines from the motor to the transmission this can often cause white smoke if the motor is ingesting the transmission fluid...even just small amounts. As was mentioned above it you are seeing white smoke after the motor is at operating temperature it would mean a water leak....again it can be very small.
A leakdown test will tell you a lot more as long as the motor is at operating temperature when you perform the test....it shouldn't be cold as the leakdown will not be as accurate.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #8

Thanks for your reply Olerodder,
My car is a manual trans.
I'm baffled at this point until I can get the tests done.
Its weird to me because it doesn't smoke continually, sometimes at red lights and sometimes just sitting idling.
Ive actually marked my coolant bottle and can't see any loss or smell of coolant.
Ive read on a cpl of other sites that the 4.6 engines are notorious for valve seal and guide problems.
Hope to post news of having solved the problem soon ! Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Thanks for your reply Olerodder,
My car is a manual trans.
I'm baffled at this point until I can get the tests done.
Its weird to me because it doesn't smoke continually, sometimes at red lights and sometimes just sitting idling.
Ive actually marked my coolant bottle and can't see any loss or smell of coolant.
Ive read on a cpl of other sites that the 4.6 engines are notorious for valve seal and guide problems.
Hope to post news of having solved the problem soon ! Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

It's been awhile since working on 4.6l motors so let me take another stab at this.
Are you sure the smoke is white and not a blueish white color?
One thing you may try is to get the car up to operating temperature and park in your driveway...open the hood and slowly take the breather cap off while the car is running.
Do you get a lot of smoke/fumes or pressure coming out of the tube? On a good engine you should get almost none. If you can see smoke come out continually and can feel pressure I would say it could be valves/seals and or rings.
If the motor stumbles when you take off the breather cap don't worry, this is the motor sensing the difference in pressure....it should return to normal within a second or two.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:55 PM   #10

Yes, I believe it could have a slight bluish tint to it, it definitely smells like oil burning. I have removed the breather/oil cap with it running and warm and did the ole dollar bill trick and there is no air movement nor smoke coming out at all which made me feel a little better.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Ok, if it's blueish then it's oil either coming past the valves/seals or rings....and if it just happens every now and then I'd say the motor is showing it's age...or you have a developing issue with the above.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
i once had a mechanic tell me that if your oil pressure was running high,around 80% or more,that it was the oil pump going bad and causing the smoke issue. olrodder have you ever heard this?don't know how true that is but i do know my old 93 crown vic does it but its got about 280.000 on the speedometer.
newedge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

That's a good one...I've never heard that in the 60 years I've been fooling around with engines....although I have seen oil pressure wear away the fillet on a crank right where it broke in half.....because the pressure over time was between 60/80psi constantly. I would think 80 psi oil pressure is a little on the strong side for oil pump that is going bad....at least for me when a pump starts to wear the clearances become more and I would assume the oil pressure would go down not up. With that said I've never worked on the 4.6l or 5.0l Ford so I can't say anything about the Mod motors oil pump/gears.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
yeah that was the first time i'd heard that too.and please don't judge me because i still drive a 93 crown vic.lol!
newedge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:54 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Personally I've always liked the look of the Crown Vic's....and really loved the Mercury Marauders!
Old 05-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mine smokes at first start up in the morning and that's it. At operating temps it doesn't smoke. No lose in coolant though. White smoke as well.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Most likely oil is seeping from valves/seals/rings when you park it overnight and when you first start it your are burning a very small amount of oil...pretty usual for a motors with age....when you warm everything up it seals again......just showing signs of age....I wouldn't worry about until it starts to foul out the plugs.....IMHO

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT