IAC Valve Issue! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
IAC Valve Issue!

I have been having IAC issues, idle issues, hanging idle, stalling after 3/4 throttle etc.

Replaced the IAC with one from Advanced Autoparts, BDW brand I think. Made the car worse. Replaced the TPS also, still no luck. Read some things online, actually found a ton of info on bad aftermarket IAC valves. Many people replace them with an aftermarket autoparts store brand and still have issues. The problem is with these valves, almost all of them will NOT fix your issue, so you will continue to diagnose and even replace other parts that are not needed.

Today I took my IAC off of my 96 GT, its the original and 20 yrs old. Put it on my 03, which they are different part numbers as the difference is the small breather cap on the older ones. I read somewhere that a guy put on a pre 02 IAC valve (Motorcraft) and it resolved his issue. So anyway, this resolved my issue right away as well, swapped it over from the 96 to the 03 and instantly no issues at all, it runs great other than a small surge when the compressor is on, I can live with that. Drove 80 miles today and no issues at all.

I know Ive seen a ton of idle issues on this forum, people replacing their IAC valves etc, and I bet getting an OEM valve motor would more than likely solve their issues like it did mine. Just thought I would share this. Im glad my frustrations are now over with it, as I had checked/diagnosed (or tried too) everything I could research.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016, 11:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It's not a 100% guarantee that you will get a good part, but I prefer to spend a little extra money, and try my luck with Motorcraft parts.
If I remember correctly, Hitachi had the contract to manufacture the Motorcraft IAC's back then.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I've got a bad Motorcraft IAC at home I bought off of Rock Auto. I refused to believe it was bad, straybullitt is right, seems like they have probs too. I've got my stock IAC back in and it's not ideal, but it's running better than the new Motorcraft IAC I bought lol. I was going to try buying one from my local Ford dealership for the next one.
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My local dealership wants $205 for a Motorcraft IAC, screw that crap!

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

The fail rate appears to be much higher with the generic companies or autoparts store brands.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Addvance Autoparts can get a HItachi (oem) from worldpac. Ask them if they can order you one for like 70 bucks. Otherwise the BWD/carquest brand is a little less.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
Addvance Autoparts can get a HItachi (oem) from worldpac. Ask them if they can order you one for like 70 bucks. Otherwise the BWD/carquest brand is a little less.
Ive had 2 BWD IACs and neither one of them did the trick. They were both new, one that came on the car when I got it, and one I bought a couple weeks ago. The one that came on the car turned out to be a little better than the newest one but still had issues. Advanced has the price at about $45 if you apply the online coupon for the Hitachi one, its cheaper than the BWD one to begin with. Napa wants $91 for their "premium" one and another independent parts store near me has one made by Standard Autoparts that is $70. And then the dealer wants $205 for a Motorcraft one. Dealer price is insane if you ask me. Would have to be in a horrible pinch to pay that price. I can get a midpipe for that, lol. I actually have a guy who works for me that may have one off of a 4.6 he swapped out a while back. I will try his and see how it works for free, if it does then Ill be set with it for a while. My 20 yr old one works great from my other car so I assume that its possible to use his old one for the same 4.6/ 2 valve motor, its also an 03 out of an Exploder.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I spent a LONG time tinkering with the IAC issue and nothing, I repeat nothing helped until I had the car dyno tuned and had the Dash pot value in the tune adjusted accordingly, which stops hanging shifts and inconsistent idle

Runs way better

I would recommend checking for vacuum leaks while you are at it, won't kill

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Hutch22v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch22v View Post
I spent a LONG time tinkering with the IAC issue and nothing, I repeat nothing helped until I had the car dyno tuned and had the Dash pot value in the tune adjusted accordingly, which stops hanging shifts and inconsistent idle

Runs way better

I would recommend checking for vacuum leaks while you are at it, won't kill

My 03 runs great now, feels really good. Idles where it should in all conditions, it was the crap IACs they sell at Oreillys, Autozone, Napa, and Advanced Autoparts. The 20 yr old Motorcraft one works perfectly. I went to a local pick n pull and got an IAC off a really clean 96 Grand Marquis yesterday and replaced the one I took off my 96 to use on the 03 (quicker than swapping it back then replacing the 03 again) and it works perfect, no issues and $20.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
My 03 runs great now, feels really good. Idles where it should in all conditions, it was the crap IACs they sell at Oreillys, Autozone, Napa, and Advanced Autoparts. The 20 yr old Motorcraft one works perfectly. I went to a local pick n pull and got an IAC off a really clean 96 Grand Marquis yesterday and replaced the one I took off my 96 to use on the 03 (quicker than swapping it back then replacing the 03 again) and it works perfect, no issues and $20.

Very Nice!

Hutch22v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I couldnt beat the price, saved like $80 at least for now

Old 05-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
I've been chasing a surging idle, crazy bad at times, stalling for a while now. I've found bad vacuum lines, replaced the pcv valve, cleaned the iac as I went. Each time it got a bit better but not much. I put in a bd w valve in 2 days ago, so far it's been running noticeably better but I'm being cautious on thinking it's fixed.

I *think* there should be something in this hole...

I'm guessing the valve itself is stuck.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
I've been chasing a surging idle, crazy bad at times, stalling for a while now. I've found bad vacuum lines, replaced the pcv valve, cleaned the iac as I went. Each time it got a bit better but not much. I put in a bd w valve in 2 days ago, so far it's been running noticeably better but I'm being cautious on thinking it's fixed.

I *think* there should be something in this hole...

I'm guessing the valve itself is stuck.
Yeah it looks stuck to me. The BDW brand would not work for me, made the car a little better but was still an issue. I would get a OEM IAC, and it will probably solve your problem. I also cleaned my MAF with MAF cleaner, and replaced the TPS also.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT