2003 mustang gt on3 turbo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2016, 05:19 AM   #1

Region: Florida
2003 mustang gt on3 turbo

Ok I'm looking into buying the on3 single turbo kit and a few questions I had are
1. It says it is designed around the upr k member but on3 sells a k member for it which should I get!
2. What is the quality like is there much cutting and welding and if there is of what
3. How hard is the install
4. What else is needed I know a tubular k member and I'm looking at the LMR fuel system upgrade kit (injectors, fuel pump, blow through maf and injector adapters
Fitzy_2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 06:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I've been doing some of the same research myself because I plan on installing their kit as soon as my supercharger sells.

1. I haven't found an answer to, but my guess is that they copied UPR's design.
2. Quality is decent. The biggest issues I've heard of is the headers don't fit the best and modifications will need to be made to get them to fit properly. I've been recommended to buy new v-band clamps because theirs are junk.
3. Most installs that I've read have taken a weekend
4. Fuel system (obviously), tuner, engine oil, coolant, spark plugs, caster/camber plates, bumpsteer kit and I'm sure some other small stuff. If you're a manual then a clutch would be highly recommended, if Auto then do a J-mod and Torque convertor (not absolutely necessary, but highly recommended). I don't know what MAF LMR'S kit comes with but I briefly considered that kit myself. I decided to piece one together instead. I currently have some Siemens Deka 60lb injectors and a SCT BA3000 waiting to go in but I may opt to run the PMAS MAF that On3 offers instead.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
I've been doing some of the same research myself because I plan on installing their kit as soon as my supercharger sells.

1. I haven't found an answer to, but my guess is that they copied UPR's design.
2. Quality is decent. The biggest issues I've heard of is the headers don't fit the best and modifications will need to be made to get them to fit properly. I've been recommended to buy new v-band clamps because theirs are junk.
3. Most installs that I've read have taken a weekend
4. Fuel system (obviously), tuner, engine oil, coolant, spark plugs, caster/camber plates, bumpsteer kit and I'm sure some other small stuff. If you're a manual then a clutch would be highly recommended, if Auto then do a J-mod and Torque convertor (not absolutely necessary, but highly recommended). I don't know what MAF LMR'S kit comes with but I briefly considered that kit myself. I decided to piece one together instead. I currently have some Siemens Deka 60lb injectors and a SCT BA3000 waiting to go in but I may opt to run the PMAS MAF that On3 offers instead.

Ok so which would you suggest the upr or the on3 k member? the on3 is $200 cheaper
Could I get different headers that fit better?
The LMR kit has Pro-M 3" Slot Style Pro-Tube mass air meter, Ford Performance 47lb fuel injectors, Aeromotive 325LPH fuel pump, correct adapters for a direct replacement. I am completely new to the forced induction route so forgive me if I sound really stupid with some of the questions also what Bumpsteer kit would you recommend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 08:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy_2v View Post
Ok so which would you suggest the upr or the on3 k member? the on3 is $200 cheaper
That's what scares me about their kit. The UPR kit is already pretty cheap. Hopefully someone else on here has seen their k-member being used.
Quote:
Could I get different headers that fit better?
Unless you go with their first generation kit, which is not the greatest idea, you're kind of stuck with their forward facing headers. Usually what happens is one or two of the bolt holes needs drilled out to a larger size.
Quote:
The LMR kit has Pro-M 3" Slot Style Pro-Tube mass air meter, Ford Performance 47lb fuel injectors, Aeromotive 325LPH fuel pump, correct adapters for a direct replacement.
I'm just diving into the necessary air/fuel mods for boosted applications myself so I cant really speak for how well the Pro-M works, but depending on the boost you want to run that pump and injectors should do just fine.
Quote:
I am completely new to the forced induction route so forgive me if I sound really stupid with some of the questions also what Bumpsteer kit would you recommend
Everyone has to start somewhere. Questions are always welcome when it comes to major mods that can potentially blow your motor.

Steeda makes a good bumpsteer kit.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #5

2003 mustang gt on3 turbo

Quote:
That's what scares me about their kit. The UPR kit is already pretty cheap. Hopefully someone else on here has seen their k-member being used.
Unless you go with their first generation kit, which is not the greatest idea, you're kind of stuck with their forward facing headers. Usually what happens is one or two of the bolt holes needs drilled out to a larger size.
I'm just diving into the necessary air/fuel mods for boosted applications myself so I cant really speak for how well the Pro-M works, but depending on the boost you want to run that pump and injectors should do just fine.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Questions are always welcome when it comes to major mods that can potentially blow your motor.

Steeda makes a good bumpsteer kit.

I don't know if the on3 kit on LMR is the 1st gen or 2nd gen and why is the first gen not a good idea? And just drilling larger holes in the headers isn't the big of a deal also I'm looking for around 400 horsepower so the LMR kit should be enough because it's rated to 470 horsepower
Old 05-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't know if the on3 kit on LMR is the 1st gen or 2nd gen and why is the first gen not a good idea? And just drilling larger holes in the headers isn't the big of a deal also I'm looking for around 400 horsepower so the LMR kit should be enough because it's rated to 470 horsepower
The LMR kit should be the second gen. The first gen kit used stock location manifolds that faced towards the rear of the car and had a ridiculous amount of piping to bring it all back to the turbo up front. The second gen kit goes to a forward facing headers which greatly increases spool time over the first gen kit.

Haha you say that you want 400, but I'll tell you right now, boost is addicting and at some point 400 won't be enough. That being said, LMR's kit should fit your needs just fine.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #7

Quote:
The LMR kit should be the second gen. The first gen kit used stock location manifolds that faced towards the rear of the car and had a ridiculous amount of piping to bring it all back to the turbo up front. The second gen kit goes to a forward facing headers which greatly increases spool time over the first gen kit.

Haha you say that you want 400, but I'll tell you right now, boost is addicting and at some point 400 won't be enough. That being said, LMR's kit should fit your needs just fine.

Ok so it is the second gen kit and it supposedly eliminates like 10 pieces of piping and reduces spool time by 800 rpm so it hits around at 2500 rpm at like 7 pounds of boost and yea I know I plan on getting a 5.3 stroker kit with forged internals again off of LMR and a upgraded transmission then turn the boost up to around 700+ if possible

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
2003 mustang