4v heads - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
4v heads

I don't plan on a head swap anytime soon, I am curious about a few things though.

As far as I know, my little 02 GT is a 2 valve.

Is the 4v a direct swap?
Are new timing gears and chains needed?
Does the engine need a new tune for the extra flow?
Are the headers the same on a 2v as the 4v?
Will the plenum and throttle body need to be replaced?
Are the 2v injectors and fuel pump compatible?

Is the swap worth the price of gaskets, parts, and the sweat and labor?

I guess you could say I am doing a bit of early planning and mapping once my truck has an engine again. As soon as I can park the Mustang I have a bad bearing somewhere in the drive train. I'm curious as to what can be done when I begin tearing the car apart.

Who knows, I may find a Cobra in a salvage yard that wants to donate a pair of heads.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Find a complete engine.

Respect the classics.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
Find a complete engine.

Respect the classics.
When that day comes it may be what I opt to do. I was asking more or less to have the knowledge.

At the moment I am doing all I can to locate an engine for my Dodge Ram. I do not want to buy a rebuilt engine at the moment. To be honest, I can't afford a crate or rebuilt engine. I am waiting patiently to find a used one in a salvage yard with low miles. It's a gamble, but it's one I have to take.

Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I don't plan on a head swap anytime soon, I am curious about a few things though.

As far as I know, my little 02 GT is a 2 valve.

Is the 4v a direct swap?
Are new timing gears and chains needed?
Does the engine need a new tune for the extra flow?
Are the headers the same on a 2v as the 4v?
Will the plenum and throttle body need to be replaced?
Are the 2v injectors and fuel pump compatible?

Is the swap worth the price of gaskets, parts, and the sweat and labor?

I guess you could say I am doing a bit of early planning and mapping once my truck has an engine again. As soon as I can park the Mustang I have a bad bearing somewhere in the drive train. I'm curious as to what can be done when I begin tearing the car apart.

Who knows, I may find a Cobra in a salvage yard that wants to donate a pair of heads.

- More direct than most but not 100%
- The 4V timing system is twice the 2V system so yes
- Surprisingly the 2V computer will run the 4V but... yeah tune is needed to make it right
- The 4V will need a 4V intake. Plenum is part of the upper TB is different. Yes
- With any setup, depends on your power level. Ford uses 24lb injectors in the 4Vs at minimum. Pump is always good to upgrade when going with more power.

Yes the swap is worth it. Pick up power, higher RPM capability, a non plastic intake that doesn't cost a ton of $$$ and best of all the parts are dirt DIRT cheap if you know where to look. Example, ported PI heads are $1500-$1800, I get C heads that will outflow them by a ton for free. Oh, and they come with cams, valve covers and COPs too...

However... you are going to be at 8.5:1 compression with 2V pistons. 4V heads are 52cc so it'll be a dog down low. It is best to get a complete engine. A real good one to do is a Mark VIII running in good shape which gets you a Teksid block shaving 75lbs off the nose of the car and then swap on 99/01 C heads and a Mach intake with 96-98 Cobra cams.

Another thought is to just supercharge your 2V and hit 400hp with what you have and the blower. Not sure what your budget is. Lots of directions to go.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT