Rear Seating - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Rear Seating

Does anyone make a rear seat, or know how to modify the rear seat of the 99-2004 Mustang to better accomodate rear passengers? I don't know if there is a seat with less foam, or if there is a molded seat that can be cushioned and wrapped. My girls are growing up, and a family night out in the Mustang is not fun for anyone. The front passengers have to sit under the dash, and the rear passengers are still cramped.

I know the Mustang is not a family car. It would be nice to make it a bit more comfortable though. They like riding with the top down, but not cramped together.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2016, 11:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I think you could somehow take it apart, cut foam out and recover it. May look wonky if not done right. I havent seen any aftermarket plug n play set ups for this. And having a custom one made is probably big bucks. If you took your time, knew exactly how and how much you were cutting out (measure twice scenario) or make a template, you could do it yourself. Just rewrapping it may be tricky, have to pull it tight and fasten it with the right lookimg folds/ seams, or cut the leather too and rewrap it. Im sure it has been done at some point. They do it on Fast and Loud all the time, lol. You could also get one from a junkyard to practice on too.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

A seat to practice on may be a good idea. I am no good at upholstery. I can do small panels, consoles, and other items, but I have not attempted a seat. I'm not even sure where to begin.

Who knows, a trimmed down rear seat may be an item that sells.

I have considered completely removing the back seat and starting with a custom fiberglass mold to essentially make a one piece, two seater bench style bucket. I have built seat frames for street rods. I just don't want an uncomfortable nightmare. That's what I have now.

If all else fails I will turn it into a two seater. It would look good with a cover on it in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

As for Fast and Loud; if Richard wants to donate the funds, I am sure we can get the car to Sue and have a seat made.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 12:33 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I've recovered the rear seat before. Not a ton of foam to take out and if you did it would be rock hard and not comfortable at all. Plus then you'd have to get the seat skins custom made which is going to be $$$.

Sorry man... its a Mustang not a sedan you aren't ever going to comfortably fit 4 people in it no matter what you do.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I've recovered the rear seat before. Not a ton of foam to take out and if you did it would be rock hard and not comfortable at all. Plus then you'd have to get the seat skins custom made which is going to be $$$.

Sorry man... its a Mustang not a sedan you aren't ever going to comfortably fit 4 people in it no matter what you do.
It was worth asking.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The quote of the night, "It's a Mustang, not a sedan".

Sadly I remember the days when my baby brother had his fox body. We would stuff people into that car. Comfort never mattered.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Yeah it will never be real comfortable but I can see where your mindset was for sure. You can different foams to use too, get a block of it shape it to what you want. Look for something that is dense enough to still remain comfortable with half the material of the stock seat. But either way Im sure it wont be cheap.

Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Yeah it will never be real comfortable but I can see where your mindset was for sure. You can different foams to use too, get a block of it shape it to what you want. Look for something that is dense enough to still remain comfortable with half the material of the stock seat. But either way Im sure it wont be cheap.

I don't ride back there. Lol

Old 05-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I would really like a set of racing seats for the front. It would be nice to sit a little lower in the car. Plus, the seat backs would likely be a bit thinner. That would give the back seat passengers an extra inch or two.

I don't want to give up the powered adjustments though. I'm not sure if a reasonable option exists that fits on the factory tracks though.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
seat delete. couch pillows install. let me know if it works and if the seatbelts are still effective.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
seat delete. couch pillows install. let me know if it works and if the seatbelts are still effective.
I don't think the seatbelts would be effective without a few modifications. It is an interesting idea.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT