My First Mustang and I'm in Love - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Exclamation My First Mustang and I'm in Love

Hey all, Im new to this forum. I'm a full time mechanic and a die hard Ford fan. I own a 2008 Ford Edge Limited and a 2004 Ford Explorer Limited. I always wanted a Mustang but never thought I could afford it, until two weeks ago. I live in Toronto Canada and I saw a listing for a 2003 Mustang GT for $7500 just a few hours outside of Toronto. I decided to drive there with a buddy of mine and damn it was sexy. Its really hard to find an older Mustang with low km's and in stock condition. This 2003 GT was almost that. The previous owner lowered it with HnR springs all around, new short throw shifter with missing bezel and staggered wheels with 20's in the rear and 18's in the front. Other than that, it was stock. Oh, it did have a Steeda air intake.

I bought it for $5700 as is with a passed emission test. It drove great all the way home. I proceeded to order the correct shift bezel and boot kit for that year. I noticed the bushings of the control arms were weak and sloppy and the balljoints were a little loose. So I got out my old dusty credit card and put it to use on me for a change.

I ordered UPR upper and lower controls arms, Energy Suspensions front lower control arm bushings, coil spring upper and lower polyurethane seats, rear diff upper control arm bushings from Ford Racing, and Mooge balljoints. I alignmed the front as best as I could but I'm going to have to buy the aftermarket caster and camber plates for more adjustability because those HnR springs are way too low. The headlights were too faded to be brought back to life so I ordered a set through my shop account and those made the car look like a million bucks.

Here are a few things that are bugging me about this car.....

The alignment turned out nice but the front end is bottoming out over rough pavement. I'm stumped on what could be causing this. Is it the springs? or shocks? The shocks are brand new which were installed by the previous owner and from my vast experience in the mechanical field , shocks absorb rebound energy and springs absorb the jounce. Do you agree?

When I open the driver's door the interior light doesn't come on, is that normal? The interior lights do work. The key in ignition chime works, even with the driver's door closed, is that normal?

Thanks for taking the time to read my novel and hope to hear from someone....peace
Cam416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Welcome to the forum man.. Do you have any pics of the stang ??

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
torchdNblazen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No. I'm actually on my 6th wedding anniversary and my wife was just informed of my purchase so I made sure I did have any pictures on my phone. But a few hours ago I surprised my wife with it and she loves it. So I will take a few pictures in a few minutes then I will post them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Nice!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Nice. Welcome. Hurry up with the pics. As far as bottoming out, its prob just due to the drop. H&Rs give you that extra 1/2" drop from other springs and it seems that causes the issues beleive it or not. I have them on my 96 and have issues from time to time but not too often. What shocks and struts are on it?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

I assume their the Supersports

Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:04 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Welcome to the Club from Cutler Bay, FL.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:57 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ugh, how do I post pictures? I don't have a URL.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Are you using the phone app?

99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Old 05-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I am
Old 05-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ok first you hit the bottom left + where you tpye in your response then you hit 3 dot on the upper right where it ask you to attach pics that are on your phone.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Phone app

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1463927915842.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	201346   Click image for larger version

Name:	1463927927764.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	201347  

Old 05-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Also this my samsung galaxy 6 I m not sure if its different on an iphone?

Old 05-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Shoot I didn't know there was an app! I'm on my phone using the .mom website. I'm downloading the app right now damn it!
Old 05-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

With an iPhone you just click the reply button then click the little square with mountains on it an it lets you choose from your photos

dayves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Oh yeah the app is way eaiser to use on your phone then the site.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It's 20's on the rear with 285's and 18's on the front with 265's I believe. Boss rims.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1463930263730.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	201351   Click image for larger version

Name:	1463930279686.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	201352  

Name:	1463930300937.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	201353  
Old 05-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Looks good! I've noticed the chime goes away if you put your seatbelt on.. Even if the car is off but key is in the on position.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
19robby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
You do have the light switch in the proper position to allow them to come on when the door is opened right?

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Dave73 I'm not sure of I do. My other Ford vehicles have automatic switches which are clearly marked on the switch. The mustang just has a pull nob switch with no I'd of locations. I know I can dim the gauge lights with this switch.

19Robby2 As long as the key is in the ignition it will chime even with the door closed. But it goes away when started or ignition on but I'll try the seat belt later.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Congrats... And a warm welcome to you newest family member !!!
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #21

Region: Colorado
Welcome to the exclusive Mustang Club. I've loved Mustangs since I was a kid. My grandfather had a '64. The in 2015 all the stars aligned suddenly when I wasn't expecting it and I was able to buy 2015 50th Anniversary ed. Bright red. On way home from the dealer I did a fist pump and yelled "I got a MUSTANG!!!!"
Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Welcome to the forum!!!

2002 Mustang GT, Trick Flow plenum, eibach lowering springs, BBK catted x-pipe, for now.......
Vinnie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Working on my GT is like a drug. I'm always on late model restoration website looking for what to do next .....

Old 05-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Welcome aboard, there is a switch inside the doors (at latch) for lights, I shoot mine with wd40 and its fixed it every time that happens. (Also chime should stop when door is closed, unless it's your seatbelt chime)
What made you choose the moog balljoints over the superior steeda?
And springs are probably the cause of bottoming out, SR's are a decent drop in ride height.

Congrats on the stang, sounds like u covered suspension, now time for exhaust, TB/plenum, tune and gears !

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life View Post
Welcome aboard, there is a switch inside the doors (at latch) for lights, I shoot mine with wd40 and its fixed it every time that happens. (Also chime should stop when door is closed, unless it's your seatbelt chime)
What made you choose the moog balljoints over the superior steeda?
And springs are probably the cause of bottoming out, SR's are a decent drop in ride height.

Congrats on the stang, sounds like u covered suspension, now time for exhaust, TB/plenum, tune and gears !

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I chose the moose ball joints because that was the only brand I trust that I could get my hand on at the time.

Tomorrow I pick up my shift bezel and boot, Eibach pro series lowering springs, CC plates and energy suspension link kits and bushings.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:41 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam416 View Post
Working on my GT is like a drug. I'm always on late model restoration website looking for what to do next .....

I know that feeling, I frequent a ton of sites. American Muscle, CJponyparts, Summit, Jegs, stangmods, other forums, the corral, etc, etc. It never ends, but its awesome! Soo many options and parts for these cars out there and soooo many different Mustangs, mods.....

Old 05-27-2016, 02:48 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I chose the moose ball joints because that was the only brand I trust that I could get my hand on at the time.

Tomorrow I pick up my shift bezel and boot, Eibach pro series lowering springs, CC plates and energy suspension link kits and bushings.

Moog ball joints are made just as well as Steeda ball joints. Steedas are made for the intention of lowering a car and help with the frontend geometry to be corrected, and you can get a little lower drop without the spacers too. I have used Moog ball joints on several vehicles and have always been happy. I have them currently on my 96 and will have them on my 03 in a couple days with the SR springs. I can be the SR springs Guinea Pig and see how good they are and how low they go compared to what they claim. I haven't read too many negative things about the SR springs at all, most of everything is positive on them especially compared to other SR products. So as he said they are good too but I see you went with the Eibachs, that drop with those should fix most of your bottoming out issues, even tho they are only 1/2" taller, but for some reason that extra 1/2" to 3/4" makes a huge difference with alignments and scraping. You may not even need the CC plates with your new springs to be aligned to spec, some do and some dont with that drop amount. Im excited for your mods to be done!

Old 05-27-2016, 07:41 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Moog ball joints are made just as well as Steeda ball joints. Steedas are made for the intention of lowering a car and help with the frontend geometry to be corrected, and you can get a little lower drop without the spacers too. I have used Moog ball joints on several vehicles and have always been happy. I have them currently on my 96 and will have them on my 03 in a couple days with the SR springs. I can be the SR springs Guinea Pig and see how good they are and how low they go compared to what they claim. I haven't read too many negative things about the SR springs at all, most of everything is positive on them especially compared to other SR products. So as he said they are good too but I see you went with the Eibachs, that drop with those should fix most of your bottoming out issues, even tho they are only 1/2" taller, but for some reason that extra 1/2" to 3/4" makes a huge difference with alignments and scraping. You may not even need the CC plates with your new springs to be aligned to spec, some do and some dont with that drop amount. Im excited for your mods to be done!

I can wait to see the SR on your car steve, I m try to install mines on sunday.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Today I'm picking up my parts. I did my alignment last week and I maxed out the factory CC plates. The caster is perfect but the camber needs just .8 of a degree to get back to factory spec. So I'll need an aftermarket CC plate to give me that extra. But I was told a cam bolt will be give me that extra I need. So I may go that route.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Welcome... and NICE stang!
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Today I'm picking up my parts. I did my alignment last week and I maxed out the factory CC plates. The caster is perfect but the camber needs just .8 of a degree to get back to factory spec. So I'll need an aftermarket CC plate to give me that extra. But I was told a cam bolt will be give me that extra I need. So I may go that route.

But you said you are going from H&R springs to Eibachs and not the Eibach Sportlines, right? They dont drop your car as low, so it will be approx 1/2" higher in the front with the Prolines from Eibach, so you wont have as much negative camber. And yes the camber bolts can and do work, some dont like them and say they break or snap but those are usually guys who autocross their cars and put max strain on their suspensions. For normal DD, occasional spirited sprints around the twisties or stop light to stop light they will be fine and people have been using them for years. Some people have to use them along with CC plates for adj cause they are that loooooow. But having the CC plates will be good for future use maybe and they look real nice under the hood.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:40 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Welcome to the forum! Good looking Mustang!
Old 05-27-2016, 07:49 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I just picked up my parts and excited as hell. But tomorrow I have my four years daughter with me and mom is working. So I might take her with me to the shop and she how she behaves with me making noise while keeping a third eye on her.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

HnR springs which is causing my car to bottom out over bumps

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1464561550146.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	201729  
Old 05-29-2016, 05:43 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Eibach Pro Kit. The car sits a bit higher but it's night and day in ride quality. I'm so happy with these springs.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1464561780162.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	201730   Click image for larger version

Name:	1464561794949.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	201731  

Name:	1464561814859.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	201732  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT