Coilovers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Coilovers?

I know this has been a common topic, but i would just like to ask for myself before i make any pricy decisions. I want to be lower. Currently on Sr springs and mm cc plates. Want at least 1.5 inches lower than current. My car is a daily, and is no means a track car. My price range is 1500ishh. Ive heard of sr, cx racing, eibachs, but can't decide. Pics would be much appreciated. Thanks, any help i can get would be much appreciated.
wawanesa5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2016, 10:52 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
MM coilovers. You already have the plates so it shouldn't be too bad. I run their coilovers for the KONI yellows

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1464061966.877310.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	201461

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I was looking at those, but i got confused. So if i buy the mm coilovers with springs for the front and rear, and get the ones specific for konis, i could go on am and get the adjustible yellow konis and it would turn those struts to coilovers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2016, 12:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
MM coilovers. You already have the plates so it shouldn't be too bad. I run their coilovers for the KONI yellows

Attachment 201461

That stance though !! Have always loved your car man, looks exactly how a new edge should..

torchdNblazen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Man I want coilovers one day. I did a ton of research on the Racelands for $500 (plus CC plates of course), and they actually review well from current reviews. I know their not a true rear coilover and not the best for auto xing but from what I found their not bad for going real low and still have adjustability. I was going to try them, but I dont have the funds to experiment currently so doing springs for now until I can get the exact set up I want for DD the car in the summer. But looking into the Racelands might not be a bad idea for you to check them out at least.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I currently run HnR's all around but the car bottoms out over bumps even no or ones when I'm driving at the speed limit. I have to slow down like a ricer would. I'm looking at the Eibach Pro Kit. I still need to get proper camber caster kits to lean out the camber a bit more. What can I do to combat my suspension bottoming out?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Cam416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam416 View Post
I currently run HnR's all around but the car bottoms out over bumps even no or ones when I'm driving at the speed limit. I have to slow down like a ricer would. I'm looking at the Eibach Pro Kit. I still need to get proper camber caster kits to lean out the camber a bit more. What can I do to combat my suspension bottoming out?

What kind of shocks and struts do you have? Were they upgraded or replaced when you did your springs? This could be the issue. I have H&R Supersports and I dont have issues bottoming out everywhere on my 96, some places but thats to be expected.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
What kind of shocks and struts do you have? Were they upgraded or replaced when you did your springs? This could be the issue. I have H&R Supersports and I dont have issues bottoming out everywhere on my 96, some places but thats to be expected.

I bought the car with the HnR's springs and new OEM Monroe shocks front and rear. I did replace rear control arms with UPR and urytane bushings on the front. It's a really bumpy ride but the car hugs the road pretty good.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Just FYI, you don't need coilovers just to lower the car. If you don't need the adjustability of the coilovers you can run the stock setup with lowering springs and a good set of shocks/struts for a lot less money and get the result/ride you are looking for. I had a set of cheap BBK springs, MM CC plates and Tokico Illuminas on my last Mustang and that thing had a very near stock ride while giving a nice drop but not so low that I'd tear the lip off my front bumper going over a speed bump.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So to answer my second question, could i combine this stuff to make a coilover set for my mustang? Is that how the mm coil sleeve system works? And yeah i know i could get lower with a spring and shock setup, but the coilover option seems like it would be worth the money too me. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1464101640.687776.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	201470Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1464101658.662022.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	201471Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1464101672.754170.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	201472
Old 05-24-2016, 11:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Man I want coilovers one day. I did a ton of research on the Racelands for $500 (plus CC plates of course), and they actually review well from current reviews. I know their not a true rear coilover and not the best for auto xing but from what I found their not bad for going real low and still have adjustability. I was going to try them, but I dont have the funds to experiment currently so doing springs for now until I can get the exact set up I want for DD the car in the summer. But looking into the Racelands might not be a bad idea for you to check them out at least.

I work for FedEx, you would be astonished at how many, and how often we ship back failed racelands. At least once a week. Come to think, I've not seen any other brand sent back through us due to failure. It's not just thier Mustang coil overs either, I've shipped hundreds of them back for all makes and models. The people shipping them have no problem telling me what a big mistake it was to buy cheap, bottom of the line coil overs. Food for thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I bought the car with the HnR's springs and new OEM Monroe shocks front and rear. I did replace rear control arms with UPR and urytane bushings on the front. It's a really bumpy ride but the car hugs the road pretty good.

It could be the shocks and struts being an OEM replacement causing the issue or not enough dampening. The ride is going to be rough though with the H&R SS springs, you could go with a lesser drop like SR, Steeda Sport that Scotty mentioned, get a 1.5 drop and more of a stock feeling ride since their not as agressive. H&Rs are known to be stiffer with higher spring rates, their a great spring and quality product though. If you want to keep the springs upgrade your dampners and you should feel a diff but it still will be stiff or maybe stiffer with heavy duty dampners but will not bottom out the suspension as much.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Just FYI, you don't need coilovers just to lower the car. If you don't need the adjustability of the coilovers you can run the stock setup with lowering springs and a good set of shocks/struts for a lot less money and get the result/ride you are looking for. I had a set of cheap BBK springs, MM CC plates and Tokico Illuminas on my last Mustang and that thing had a very near stock ride while giving a nice drop but not so low that I'd tear the lip off my front bumper going over a speed bump.
I usually just put about 300lbs of sand bags in my trunk and the same amount in the front on the floor as well, gets it pretty low. Lol

Old 05-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I work for FedEx, you would be astonished at how many, and how often we ship back failed racelands. At least once a week. Come to think, I've not seen any other brand sent back through us due to failure. It's not just thier Mustang coil overs either, I've shipped hundreds of them back for all makes and models. The people shipping them have no problem telling me what a big mistake it was to buy cheap, bottom of the line coil overs. Food for thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Thats some good info, see researching them I didnt find anything this negative but most were other cars, mainly German or Japaneese, etc they were reviewing them on. I know a member (The Chech) had them on a Roush new edge and had pretty good results and a couple others on here. If Im going to do coilovers in the future most likely it will be MM as they are tried and true.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawanesa5speed View Post
So to answer my second question, could i combine this stuff to make a coilover set for my mustang? Is that how the mm coil sleeve system works? And yeah i know i could get lower with a spring and shock setup, but the coilover option seems like it would be worth the money too me. Attachment 201470Attachment 201471Attachment 201472
Those are all the exact parts i use.... Personally if i had to do it again (which i will eventually) i would do the Bilstein or the MM Damper set up instead of the KONIs

HID end all thread
Old 05-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Those are all the exact parts i use.... Personally if i had to do it again (which i will eventually) i would do the Bilstein or the MM Damper set up instead of the KONIs
Why Bilstein over Koni?

Old 05-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why Bilstein over Koni?

Yeah why?
Old 05-24-2016, 04:41 PM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Why Bilstein over Koni?

Quote:
Yeah why?
I haven't had issues with mine, but i've heard that when tracked a lot the KONIs can blow or leak easily... If you aren't racing then there shouldn't be an issue, but i do. And the Bilstein sleeve and retainer set up is slightly different, which looks a bit nicer made.

HID end all thread
Old 05-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Good reason then. I won't be tracking mine anytime soon so I'll go with the cheapest available

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

Cheapest between Bilstein and Koni that is

Old 05-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Also, you can email them and answer a bunch of questions and then they can recommend spring rates. I went with 375/250. For a street car i'd do probably 300/200. Mine is pretty rough on the street. I also keep my shocks/struts on full soft on the street.

HID end all thread
Old 06-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

So I called mm and they said they wouldn't recommend their coilovers for a daily driver set up lowered more than 1.5-2 inches. I have the sr lowering springs and I'm still looking to lower a little more than an inch on all 4 corners. Can anybody recommend any other product, springs or coilovers that can get me around a 1/2 inch wheel gap. I still think the sr lowers look alittle 4x4.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I called mm and they said they wouldn't recommend their coilovers for a daily driver set up lowered more than 1.5-2 inches. I have the sr lowering springs and I'm still looking to lower a little more than an inch on all 4 corners. Can anybody recommend any other product, springs or coilovers that can get me around a 1/2 inch wheel gap. I still think the sr lowers look alittle 4x4.

My SR with no isos got me about 1.75" or close to it, front dropped more than the rear. I do see mixed results on the drop from the SRs though? H&Rs will get you close to what you need on the fronts, and Sportlines. The rear is where you will be a little short on what you want. I know its something you shouldnt do but a ton of people do, is to cut a coil off the rears to even it out like on the H&R Supersports. Maybe cut a coil out of both front and back, and you would be well over a 2" drop, but it may ride like crap and lessen the life of the springs, I dont know on that part long term. I know many guys who ran cut stock springs tho and they didnt mind the ride but they also had heavy duty shocks and struts, LCAs, and subframes.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Cx racing coilovers are good for adjustability. Can get you as low as youd like. About 875ish

Sent from my LG-H634 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
19robby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I'll do some more reaserch about cx racing. I would be nice if the solution I settle with can still use my mm cc plates. Has anyone here got mm coilovers and uses them for a daily and runs them low?

Old 06-14-2016, 03:18 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've been running racelands for 5 years combined on my Bmw and Mustang, the Bmw was a show car which just saw a lot of highway cruising miles (about 200k in a year) They were great. I have them on my Mustang for about a year and a half now. the car gets beaten to death tons of launches and hard cornering etc. not one time have they disappointed. yes it is what you pay for but the mustang is daily driven I will say it is incredibly low if you want to see it I am on IG as @erikduijsens
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSFROMERIK View Post
I've been running racelands for 5 years combined on my Bmw and Mustang, the Bmw was a show car which just saw a lot of highway cruising miles (about 200k in a year) They were great. I have them on my Mustang for about a year and a half now. the car gets beaten to death tons of launches and hard cornering etc. not one time have they disappointed. yes it is what you pay for but the mustang is daily driven I will say it is incredibly low if you want to see it I am on IG as @erikduijsens
Ive only really heard negative things about the Racelands on here to be honest. When I was researching them all the reviews I could find were favorable or at the least moderately rated. Ive spoke to several people on Instagram about their Mustangs with Racelands and they all love them for the money

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

I was thinking of trying a set a while back but I will be waiting now

Old 06-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Ende up going with a set of those Tein lowering springs. The ones that promise 2.5 drop in the front and 2.3 in the rear, figure I'll run those with no Isos, Koni yellows and steeda x2s and sell my old sr springs. Hopefully this will give me the look I want!

Old 06-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Ive only really heard negative things about the Racelands on here to be honest. When I was researching them all the reviews I could find were favorable or at the least moderately rated. Ive spoke to several people on Instagram about their Mustangs with Racelands and they all love them for the money

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

I was thinking of trying a set a while back but I will be waiting now

At the end of they day remember its 500$ with camber plates lol. But I have no complaints and I have been on them for 2 yrs.
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ende up going with a set of those Tein lowering springs. The ones that promise 2.5 drop in the front and 2.3 in the rear, figure I'll run those with no Isos, Koni yellows and steeda x2s and sell my old sr springs. Hopefully this will give me the look I want!

That will be real low. I thought about those same springs too, the Tein S Techs I think. Their a good name and quality. Hard to find a lot of pics or reviews of Mustangs that use them. They are priced well too. Have to put up some pics for sure. You will prob have to roll your fenders Im assuming since in front you will be pushing 3" lower

Old 06-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, even with my sr springs my rear fenders just barley my rear tires. Looks like I'll have to roll. I'll post lots of pics, yeah it doesn't seem like to many stang owners run Tein.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:55 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSFROMERIK View Post
At the end of they day remember its 500$ with camber plates lol. But I have no complaints and I have been on them for 2 yrs.
When I shopped them they were like 649 or 689 with CC plates. Nevertheless cheap

Old 06-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1466623978.588910.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	202726 springs and LCA came today. They both look amazing. Really exited to see how these springs will look and perform!

Old 06-24-2016, 02:24 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Derelection of Duty is the next book on my list to get.

The book covers everything Clinton did to undermine the security of the nation.
Im very interested in those springs too, keep us posted, and pics!

Old 06-24-2016, 04:51 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Im very interested in those springs too, keep us posted, and pics!

Lol on what your quote got changed to
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I bought SR coil overs and caster camber plates too from American muscle. My car is not a daily driver, but they work just fine. The car actually rides better than the Eibach lowering springs I had on it.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1466817314.370101.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	202811

toneman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT