Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Knock or exhaust leak?

Tags
exhaust
1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Steve96 
#1 ·
Knock or exhaust leak? My car ticks from a cold start then mellow outs once it warms up but still ticks. As the rpms go up the tick gets louder. But the tick hasn't gotten worse. Still sounds the same. Ive gotten on it and when I went from 1st to 2nd I heard a pop, like a back fire. And I am throwing lean codes. So what's your guys take on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#2 ·
Is there an aftermarket tune on the car?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Almost sounds like its pinging?

#4 ·
Check the COPs could be a bad one, vac leak, clean MAF, clean IAC, etc. Knock out all the obvious things first to narrow it down. What codes?

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

Buy 1 COP and move it around to see if this helps.

#15 ·
C=Coil/ O=On/ P=Plug. So coil on plugs. The part that is on top you pull off when you get ready to change your plugs. Just easier to use the acronym for it, lol. They can cause a ton of issues. They are expensive too if you buy OEM. You can get a spring and boot replacement kit for them, which is usually what is bad for like $40- $50 or less from Rockauto and use the forum discount of 6% I beleive it is. Good idea to rebuild them anyway depending on milage.

#13 ·
The fact that the ticking mellows on warm up leads me to believe it's an exhaust leak. I have one on the drivers side that disappears after warm up expansion. Shop says it's pretty common for stock headers on these engines to crack over time. your left with two options replace header or have it welded. Most shops in this area will weld it for about $250 (California prices).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.