Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Upgrading to 5.0

3K views 78 replies 15 participants last post by  ZombieSlayer 
#1 ·
So it's about that time, the more I fix something in my 2v, the more problems I get. I'm tired of it , I've got the down and I have the credit for a newer car so I'm just going to invest in that rather than fixing a 12 year old car that just keeps bringing me headaches.

I really want the 13-14 , as its my favorite body style. I am no fan of the 15-16 style , but my brother is trying to convince to just lease a 2016 rather than financing an older car like the 11-14 GTs.

What do you guys think? The 11-14 are going for about 20k here , give or take. But if I lease that would be a lot less headaches. Just need opinions soon.

If I don't move forward with a newer car I'll end up replacing my tranny ( 3rd gear grinds really bad) and will also be getting a stage 3 clutch with it and lowering springs . All that for $600. If the problems don't go away I'm literally dumping money for nothing. But is it worth it for this car?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Mac o/r H pipe. Flow master super 44s. Accufab 70mm throttle body. Pro comp intake manifold. MSD coils

See less See more
#2 ·
Please don't lease a Mustang. Bad idea, talk about throwing away money....

If your wanting a newer one then I'd personally look for a low mileage 2014 GT. Great looking car. I'm also not a huge fan of the 15+ bodystyle, but the 13-14 are quite sexy, not to mention the nice bump in power over your current ride.

"Insert clever phase here"

#3 ·
Yea dont lease. You may get the itch to mod and go on big trips and i think there is a limit to mileage for leased vehicles or some sort of stipulation.

Plus i dont think you can mod them.

#6 ·
Only reason I was think lease is I don't have to pay anything else besides the monthly , no repairs or anything

Mac o/r H pipe. Flow master super 44s. Accufab 70mm throttle body. Pro comp intake manifold. MSD coils

#8 ·
Well on a new car, one would hope no repairs are needed. With buying, you still get normal warranties. And you can even add in a maintenance package to your monthly price. If you really wanted it.

#12 ·
Lease=Rent

+mileage limits, scratches=$$$$, balloon payment after you fall in love, etc.

If u want a new car every year, hardly drive, and never get rock chips/scratches, go lease (rent), otherwise, buy buy buy

+1 on the 13-14, my favorite design since new edge, currently lookin at them myself ?

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#15 ·
If had the funds I would get a 5.0, I personally like the new 15-16 body style.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#16 ·
I like the new ones their growing on me now. I actually love the 11-12s. The frontend looks the best to me for some reason. Ever since Scotty pointed out the "hamburger" front end thats all I see now on the 13-14s, ha. Around me you can an ultra low mileage 11 or 12 maybe with a few tasteful mods already like wheels, tires, exhaust, suspension, and even saw a couple that had dealer installed Boss intake set ups recently for like $18-23k. Most have 30k or less miles, going all the way down to 9k miles on one for $21k, completely stock, cloth interior manual.

You can always get your current car fixed, running, and looking good and sell that for the most that you can. Get a rebuilt or used trans if you need one, stock clutch, detail it out, list it on CL, Letgo.com, and all the others and you will sell it quickly if you price it right, use Cargurus to see the comps for comparable cars near you and what their actually selling for.

My vote is a low mileage 11-12 GT in dark grey or Oxford white. Track Pack would be nice if you can get one at a good price. If you shop around you will find what youre looking for.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#18 ·
It looks badass?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#20 ·
That is saaaweeet! See, it has a boss intake, wheels, tires, JLT intake etc. Awesome!

#26 ·
If it doesnt have cats and the light is off then I would assume that its been tuned or the dealer reset it, but dealers dont really like to sell cars without cats right? A big dealer I would assume they stay away from it.

#31 ·
The drivers seat looks beat and the rear seats look dirty/worn too. A lot of mods but it definitely needs a lot of love. No way I'd pay over 20k otd on than.

#32 · (Edited)
Carfax: http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=1ZVBP8CFXB5133032&partner=VAS_0

I dont see any red flags on it besides the airbag recall. Which I suppose is to be expected.

Here is a pic from the car in it's prime (when it had less then 10k miles)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Sports car

All I did was google search and found that stuff.

Now if you get it inspected, check suspension, driveline, etc. for any other out-of-sight mods or damage.

The good news is, the mods can actually save you money down the road if they are what you wanted.

It comes down to how much maintenance the car will need. Hopefully at 35k miles, it is just normal stuff.

I tried to look at the window sticker for this car but I cannot find it online.

Safe to say by looking at the old picture of it, it never came with Brembos or anything.

I personally like where the previous owner was going with the car. I wonder if it has a short throw shifter installed.

The front end looks nice and the gloss black brembo wheels set you up in the future if you want to add 4 piston brembos as they clear the calipers.

#37 · (Edited)
Carfax: http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=1ZVBP8CFXB5133032&partner=VAS_0

I dont see any red flags on it besides the airbag recall. Which I suppose is to be expected.

Here is a pic from the car in it's prime (when it had less then 10k miles)
View attachment 201842

All I did was google search and found that stuff.

Now if you get it inspected, check suspension, driveline, etc. for any other out-of-sight mods or damage.

The good news is, the mods can actually save you money down the road if they are what you wanted.

It comes down to how much maintenance the car will need. Hopefully at 35k miles, it is just normal stuff.

I tried to look at the window sticker for this car but I cannot find it online.

Safe to say by looking at the old picture of it, it never came with Brembos or anything.

I personally like where the previous owner was going with the car. I wonder if it has a short throw shifter installed.

The front end looks nice and the gloss black brembo wheels set you up in the future if you want to add 4 piston brembos as they clear the calipers.

Yea I've already seen this, but the car def seems to good to be true

And for sure the car already has everything I would do it, my dream car was to be completely blacked out, and the already bolt ons a is a bonus. I would literally have nothing to do with the car besides payments and Maintenance

#33 ·
I found a basic version of the Window Sticker for that car. Enjoy...

Looks like it came with the optional HIDs for that year, 3.55 gears, and the Security and Lock package. On top of being a manual trans and premium. Very nice.

Now you would just have to figure out if the person left those gears in and left the HIDs alone.

Attachments

#36 · (Edited)
Hey Kevin, how did you look that up? I went and test drove a used 2015 gt premium yesterday and the dealer at the Volvo dealership new nothing about it. All he could tell me was its a v8, what else did I really need to know about it. I looked up most of the info on their website but couldn't find the gear ratio. I'm no longer interested in buying it after seeing it in person because of all the cosmetic dings and scratches but I'm curious as to what gear ratio it had.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...50&sourceContext=&zip=85392#listing=143253957

#34 ·
Seems to be legit. I'd still talk em down on the price. At least 20k, though knowing me I'd tell em I'd cut them a check for 17 on the spot and haggle with them from there. Unless your financing it, then dealers tend to be less willing to move a whole lot on price. You should still be able to save a few bucks off the listed price.

"Insert clever phase here"

#35 ·
I agree. For the year and condition, you could haggle the price a bit. But if you do and something goes wrong with the car, don't expect the dealer to be willing to help. Most dealers won't if they hardly made any money on the deal.

I would say it like this, if the car is really good in it's given condition when you look at it, haggle a bit. Maybe down to 20k.

If the car has flaws, i would offer to pay the 22k, but demand they fix/replace any worn out parts. Such as shocks, struts, tires, battery, wipers, spark plugs, brakes, etc.

Just be persistent that you want to buy the car, but really need for it to have all of the maintenance to be up to date. Otherwise, you won't be able to settle on the deal.

Then with whatever condition it is in, check NADA and Bluebook values and see what the average is.

#41 ·
Awesome. I am excited to see your review of it. See if the throws are really short or normal/soft buttery feeling. Let us know what the exhaust sounds like, how the suspension corners and such (to see if anything major is worn out), how the car idles, test brakes for shaking/warping when stopping, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.