1/2 inch Front Only - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2016, 12:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
1/2 inch Front Only

I have to drive to car every day. I don't want to stuff it in the weeds. I have to wonder how it would look with a half inch taken out of the front though. I think it would give the car a classic street rod look that is not immediately noticeable.

I'm not sure how I would go about that 1/2" drop without trimming the springs. That is far from accurate though.

I also want to keep the isolators. I am not a fan of suspension and drive train noises.

Any thoughts about that with the old 02 GT convertible?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2016, 12:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Steeda X2 ball joints.
If you don't install the spring spacer, they drop the front end about a half inch.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Steeda X2 ball joints.
If you don't install the spring spacer, they drop the front end about a half inch.
I will have to take a look at that. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2016, 06:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
To spend the time and money on a 1/2" drop seems like a lot to me? I dont know how noticeable it will be? Do it for free with the isos taken out though, no noises on mine whatsoever without isos.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
To spend the time and money on a 1/2" drop seems like a lot to me? I dont know how noticeable it will be? Do it for free with the isos taken out though, no noises on mine whatsoever without isos.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
The time is the easy part. Pulling apart the suspension is not very difficult. However, $140 for a set of ball joints is up there in price.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Ford racing B-springs will give you a very small drop. I daily drove my 96gt with them 100 miles a day, they handle and ride great.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Replace Isos with electrical tape

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wawanesa5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawanesa5speed View Post
Replace Isos with electrical tape

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I have a hard time doing things like that. I cannot accept tape as a sound isolator. It is a petty issue on my part. I know removing the isolators works great for those that wrap the springs with tape. I will admit that it is a personal thing for me.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
The time is the easy part. Pulling apart the suspension is not very difficult. However, $140 for a set of ball joints is up there in price.

Think of it this way... Your ball joints are getting old and probably need replacing anyway. It is like doing preventative maintenance AND modding all at once!

Or you could just go old school, and cut them a little bit.

The Ford C-springs are also a good choice. That's what I have on my car, and it still drives like a normal height car, pretty much. If you search around, you may be able to find a deal on a used set on Craigslist.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Think of it this way... Your ball joints are getting old and probably need replacing anyway. It is like doing preventative maintenance AND modding all at once!

Or you could just go old school, and cut them a little bit.

The Ford C-springs are also a good choice. That's what I have on my car, and it still drives like a normal height car, pretty much. If you search around, you may be able to find a deal on a used set on Craigslist.
The used set of springs will likely be the direction I go in. Right now I have a few maintenance items to take care of.

I need a new set of tires. My Potenzas are on the wear bars.

I have a whine coming from the throw out and or pilot bearing. It could be an input bearing (I hope not).

There are likely a few other maintenance items that need to be replaced such as shocks and struts.

I'm not complaining; I purchased a 14 year old car that was never supposed to become a daily driver. I knew what it needed when I purchased it. The car itself is in perfect condition. The engine runs beautifully. The interior and top also look new. The undercarriage is almost as clean as some of the show cars I have owned. I am happy over all with the car, but it needs a little love to reach my level of acceptance.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I'm ordering my steeda x2's in the next few days. After replacing the struts and shocks, it's made it apparent that the ball joint are ready to be replaced. That and some new tie rods should take a bit of slop out of the old tired steering.

They would get you your 1/2" drop and a fresh set of ball joints makes a big difference over the 14yr old ones that are likely in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I'm ordering my steeda x2's in the next few days. After replacing the struts and shocks, it's made it apparent that the ball joint are ready to be replaced. That and some new tie rods should take a bit of slop out of the old tired steering.

They would get you your 1/2" drop and a fresh set of ball joints makes a big difference over the 14yr old ones that are likely in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
The ball joints are new. I'm not sure what they are, but they are polyurethane. The car has no slop in the steering.

The next time we get a chance to meet up I will have to let you drive it. If nothing else you will fall in love with the MGW shifter.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
The ball joints are new. I'm not sure what they are, but they are polyurethane. The car has no slop in the steering.

The next time we get a chance to meet up I will have to let you drive it. If nothing else you will fall in love with the MGW shifter.

Yeah, I bet it's nice. It had great positioning when I messed with it the other night. I wish I didn't have so much pain in my hand and knee, I'd definitely enjoy going back to a manual.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Yeah, I bet it's nice. It had great positioning when I messed with it the other night. I wish I didn't have so much pain in my hand and knee, I'd definitely enjoy going back to a manual.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
I enjoy a manual trans, but to be honest it sucks in traffic. I am usually the guy everyone hates because I will put the car in neutral and wait to either roll forward, or until there is enough room to justify me inching in 1st.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT