Header Wraps! Good or Bad? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Header Wraps! Good or Bad?

So there seems to be a split between those that think header wrapping is good and those that think it degrades the headers faster! Which side of the fence are you on?
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

both. contains more heat in the metal which may lead to earlier gasket failure. (not much earlier) but it keeps the heat from raidiating all over your engine bay.

this was a total guess. im actually curious to know. including benefits of wrapping stock headers.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I think the benifit is just keeping engine bay temps down

xxr staggered 17's, ford racing c springs, tokico blue struts, koni orange shocks, shorty billit antenna, billit gas cap, UPR CAI, UPR O/R Xpipe, Magna flow exhaust, Mach1 grill delete w/ chin spoiler, honeycomb blackout, Bama tuned 93 OCT. V2
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2016, 11:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
But when it gets water soaked in it it'll hold it for days if it's not dried out. Headers won't last as long
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Shane are you talking about when installing them? If so DEI Lava header wrap does not need to be soaked...bit if you are talking about while driving I really can't see the water not evaporating off of engine temp headers.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-23-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Shane are you talking about when installing them? If so DEI Lava header wrap does not need to be soaked...bit if you are talking about while driving I really can't see the water not evaporating off of engine temp headers.

If you wash the engine bay the wrap will become a sponge. Things can go South from there.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Most header manufacturers state that header wrap will void any warranty they are providing.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I'm not sure but I've heard tracks dislike it as if/when it becomes oil soaked

what could go wrong with flammable stuff and hi temps?
Old 06-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I used header wrap for years on my drag race cars...that was some 35+ years ago.
Are you talking OE headers, aftermarket headers and what is the material the headers are made of. I have not really heard very much about DEI's titanium wrap but can say from experience that header wrap is very absorbent and will soak up even the smallest amount of oil, water, grease or anything you get on the headers. If you can wrap every inch of the complete header it will certainly keep a lot of the heat inside the header and in some cases can make the motor run leaner...now with that said I haven't seen but a handful of street cars wearing header wrap in the past decade....reason, ceramic coating works much better and is easier to maintain. Header wrap also collects moisture between the wrap and header itself because as the header cools down it cools at a different rate than the wrap. Header wrap on mild steel will actually rust you header from the outside...personally I think it's a waste of time...and money...IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I was told by the guy who has installed everything for me and been a mechanic for 25 yrs, own shop and used to drag race it was a waste for what thats worth
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
In my honestopinon header wrap is no good for the street. I used it on a street car once because the header heat kept burning up my starter. If this is your poblem use a starter sheat shield instead. Header wrap ill rot your headers from the outside in. That's what happened to me. the collector simply fell offwhile driving down the road. Made one helluva noise when the exhaust folded up under the car. That's my 2 cents!
69ponyxprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't put anything on my headers yet...just wanted to get some opinions about the wrap and any other way to protect the headers and make them last longer! I guess that I will use some hi-temp coating before the install!
Old 06-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I haven't put anything on my headers yet...just wanted to get some opinions about the wrap and any other way to protect the headers and make them last longer! I guess that I will use some hi-temp coating before the install!
Yes this

xxr staggered 17's, ford racing c springs, tokico blue struts, koni orange shocks, shorty billit antenna, billit gas cap, UPR CAI, UPR O/R Xpipe, Magna flow exhaust, Mach1 grill delete w/ chin spoiler, honeycomb blackout, Bama tuned 93 OCT. V2
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
What material are the headers and are they OEM or aftermarket.
Whoever makes them "header wrap" is not the answer!
Old 06-24-2016, 06:14 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I have the black PaceSetter headers so I know that they will need some sort of coating to make them a bit more durable...$226 vs $600+ for ceramic headers!

Old 06-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Have you called around to find out the prices of ceramic coating the headers you have? I had a set of long tubes that were ceramic coated inside and out...normally they are just coated on the outside....and the coast was kind of in the middle.
Since you live in a fairly humid area of the USofA I doubt the wrap will give you any more protecting than spraying them with VHT...get them ceramic coated and not have to worry about it any longer...put wrap on them and you will be replacing the headers with a couple of years because of rust....even spraying them with VHT before you wrap them will not protect them from rust...especially if they are mild steel.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

That seems like the plan of action...I work overseas and my car is parked in the garage a lot so with a coating of VHT they should last a long time! I only get to my toys every 3 months and my '72 Torino gets most of the attention!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT