Cost for Respray - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Cost for Respray

After washing my car yesterday, drying it really well, and putting it back in the garage under the lights I couldn't help but notice the paint is starting to show its age.

She still looks great at 10' for a 12 year old black car, but it has a couple of small dings, paint chips, and nicks here and there that really stand out since it's black.

I know it will vary by location, but what do these cars typically cost to respray? Im no body expert, but I couldn't see more than a days prep work on my car to get it ready for paint and the relatively small size would suggest minimal paint usage.

I have some other things I want to do to it first, but a paint job will be likely within 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
0440thgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You will find prices that vary between $1500 - $3500. Investigate the paint shop as much as possible. Make sure the technicians and the manager know you are peculiar about your car.

Learn as much as you can about automotive painting, and do not accept a job in which the paint shop cut corners.

My dad would occassionally call me when dark colored cars came into his shop. I am a perfectionist, and I treated everyone's car as if it were my own.

Walk around the car with the manager and a florescent light and mark every scratch, ding, dent, and chip with a silver sharpie marker. This is something I always asked customers to do (and I only came into the shop when my dad asked me. This was not my job). The customer appreciated the time, and they left comfortable.

Do not accept a single stage paint job for any reason. It is better to restore and correct the old paint than it is to apply an inferior product.

Make sure everything that can be removed from the car is removed, even if you have to do it yourself. The less that needs to be masked off, the better the application.

Make sure the car has been properly color sanded, buffed, and polished before it leaves the shop. Do not accept the car if the paint is hazy, has swirl marks, orange peel, or other imperfections. Check under the mirrors, bumpers, side skirts, scoops, etc to make sure there is proper coverage. If you insult the manager or techs by walking around with a light then you likely have a bad shop.

I can say this; a black paint job done by me is far from cheap. There is a reason I don't do paint and body for a living. People cannot afford the quality I demand from myself.

The last black street rod I sprayed was primed grey and then dusted over with a light coat of black primer for a sanding guide coat. Once it was blocked I repeated the process again. I then sprayed the entire car with black sealer and then three coats of black base. Once the base was cured and ready for clear I walked around and inspected every panel with a light. I proceeded to spray three coats of clear and let the car sit for an entire day. The first coat of clear was infused with black pigment.

The very next day I did the unthinkable. I dusted the entire car with white base coat and then began my color sanding process. Some places required more sanding than I liked, so I sprayed two more coats of clear.

The next day I did a simple color sand, buffed the car, machine polished it, and then hand polished the finish. I allowed the car to sit for a couple more days and rinsed it. After the car was dried I looked everything over again for imperfections before adding three coats of carnuba wax and assembling the car.

I will admit, this was not a $3500 paint job. The car was a show car that had to be as perfect as possible. When the customer arrived with the trailer it looked as if you could reach into the paint.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Wow thats awesome!

Do you have a pic of that street rod? I would love to see the product of that much work!

I was estimating around $2000, so it sounds like I'm in the right mindset.

I have a buddy at work who used to paint full time for a living. He only does small side jobs now though. He has a single car paint booth and everything at his home shop. He painted one of our old bosses black trans am a few years ago and it was the best looking black paint I have ever seen. It looked 10 miles deep, just like you had dipped it in a black paint bucket and pulled it back out.

He kept the car for about 4 months and completely disassembled it before painting.

I would love to get him to spray mine. He would cut me a deal Im sure. Only problem is I don't want him to keep my dang car for half a year. LoL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I will have to dig up a few pics of the paint jobs I have done.

...and quality takes time.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Good, cheap, quick. Pick 2 and move forward.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I can't promise many photos. Three years ago I had to shut my dad's shop down. He was a functioning alcoholic and prescription pain pill abuser. No one had a clue (or we were just blind to the situation). My dad was diagnosed as being in the late stages of liver failure (cirrhosis). As we did our best to help him detox and recover, he acted in the same desperation that any addict would. He began selling everything possible to support his habit, whether it belonged to him or not. I lost several guns that were stored at his house. I also had a 64 1/2 Mustang that disappeared. Then all of the tools in the shop were cleaned out. All of my personal tools were in the shop.

My dad literally sold everything. Even the paint mixing system he had was sold. I stopped by one day to see that the paint booth was gone, along with the downdraft ventilation system and HVAC unit I personally had installed. I could no longer say that he would sell anything not bolted down. The man sold a building.

I'm not sure if I have pictures to be honest. I hope the photo albums are still around.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thats sad man. Sorry to hear and hope my conversation didn't rehash any bad feelings or memories you have had in the past.

Unfortunately many, including myself, know the ramifications of abuse of any kind.

Godspeed to you brother.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0440thgt View Post
Thats sad man. Sorry to hear and hope my conversation didn't rehash any bad feelings or memories you have had in the past.

Unfortunately many, including myself, know the ramifications of abuse of any kind.

Godspeed to you brother.

No need to apologize. Just felt like giving you a legitimate reason if I don't find the photos.

I had the chance to build a lot of cars. Most I worked on were exotics, street rods, and show pieces. I have put a wide body kit on a true Japanese import (Toyota Soarer), rebuilt a 50s Corvette, rebuilt many customs, and much more. I have even painted a plane or two.

Because that was not my actual job, I enjoyed going into the shop. Many times I would wait for everyone to leave and I would work by myself at night. It was my way of relaxing.

...and like a good son I never asked my dad for a dime. I told him I was there to help, not work.

If I had a place to work I would have likely told you to drop your car off for a few weeks and pay for the supplies.

If you want to spend money with me I will introduce you to the world of music and the studio.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

Old 06-22-2016, 11:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Take it from a guy who went through a bad paint job...spend the money to get it done right or you will be pissed everytime you get into your car because you will always focus on those bad spots in the paint job...other people might not be able to see them right away or even at all but you know that they are there and it will drive you mad!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Take it from a guy who went through a bad paint job...spend the money to get it done right or you will be pissed everytime you get into your car because you will always focus on those bad spots in the paint job...other people might not be able to see them right away or even at all but you know that they are there and it will drive you mad!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Truth has been spoken.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I dug up one of my old phones. I remembered telling you I would post a couple projects I had a hand in.

Simple flames. This is before a Coloradans, buff and polish.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Toyota Soarer. It is a true Japanese import, right hand drive car. I installed a wide body kit and painted the car back to the original pearl white.

This was supposed to be a magazine piece. After delivery the owner dropped a ladder on the car. This was the last car I did as a full custom.

A work in progress.

It needs a colorsand, buff, polish, and detail before final delivery.

This is not a bagged car. It sits this low on coil overs.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Wow nice work man!

It's good to see people taking pride in their work like you obviously do/did.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Never been an import fan, but that is pretty sweet. Would drag on a cigarette butt though. LoL

Old 06-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0440thgt View Post
Wow nice work man!

It's good to see people taking pride in their work like you obviously do/did.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Never been an import fan, but that is pretty sweet. Would drag on a cigarette butt though. LoL

I'm not an import fan in particular. I worked with my dad as a hobby. I hated doing bodywork. However, if an exotic, full custom, or street rod came in I was the guy my dad called.

You should have see how we had to move that car around. Even leaving the driveway was a pain. I had to use flat bars of steel and 2x4s.

That thing had a 1200hp Supra engine in it. It sounded amazing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT