Engine Bay Wash/Cleanup - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Engine Bay Wash/Cleanup

I've been looking things up here and there on washing cleaning up the engine bay. But to tell the truth I trust my fellow New Edge owners with experience a little more than these websites. Anyone have any tips or tricks, do and do nots, or maybe just some play-by-plays on how you might do yours. I would really appreciate it. Mine is not gunked up or terribly dirty.. Just could use a nice cleaning!
salsa04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2016, 10:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I was wondering the same thing. My 2v is dry as can be. No hints of sweating anywhere. But it's dusty, and faded. It needs sprucing up.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Cam416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Definitely keep water away from the top of the engine. The COPs (coil on plugs) are bad to get water in them and screw up. I just hand wash mine with a damp cloth and something mild like Simple Green. That usually does the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
0440thgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have a compressor that I ve wanting to try to get most of the dust off and then just a rag to get the really philty parts.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The only time I use a pressure washer or the car wash is when I clean under the hood. The added pressure gets into places I can't with a brush or rag.

I normally wet the engine, inner wheel wells, firewall, etc. I will the cover everything in super clean or purple stuff. Then I go to work with the rag and brush.

Once things are rinsed I use a regular Meguire's car wash and clean all of the plastic and painted surfaces I did not clean using the degreaser. I pressure wash everything one last time, including under the car (yes, I pull the car onto ramps and clean).

Detailing and beautifying the engine requires a little more, but if I am not showing off the engine I rarely detail with plastic protectant.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0440thgt View Post
Definitely keep water away from the top of the engine. The COPs (coil on plugs) are bad to get water in them and screw up. I just hand wash mine with a damp cloth and something mild like Simple Green. That usually does the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I also use the Simple Green and rag method...usually fully concentrated or a 3 to 1 mix!
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
rather than a pressure washer or a hose i use a sprayer full of warm water to rinse everything after spraying with degreaser. i use an old toothbrush on some areas, otherwise a rag to wipe it all down. that way i have more control over the water and dont spray the electricals, but i can still easily rinse the block and engine bay walls and such.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
There are instructions in the "Care and Maintenance" section of the owners manual, that point out the components under the hood that you should avoid getting wet.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Thanks guys I appreciate the info. I'm definitely doing to be cleaning. It up and probably going to take a while paying attention to detail. I grab before and after pics too
salsa04GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT