disabling traction control - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:17 PM   #1

Region: Tennessee
disabling traction control

hello all. im a newb to the forum AND the mustang world. We picked up a pretty clean 2000 GT recently. got the car for a toy for the wife, we took it out over the weekend and discovered we could not do a burnout, bummer! after slight investigating i have learned that there SHOULD be a traction control disable switch in the car. the previous owner replaced the cd player and installed some aftermarket stereo equipment that is still in the car. below the cd player, there is now an equalizer. from what i have been able to learn researching the net, there is a panel that was likely there from the factory that housed the traction control switch. can anyone confirm this? i have looked at an '03 of a friends in person, his is in the dash just as i described. another friend has a '95 and the disable switch is in the console (beside the fog lights switch beside the park brake lever). can anyone give me some insight to what/where i need to be looking for? I'm thinking i will have to buy the switch and try to find the connector to plug it into

sorry for being so vague with the descriptions, thanks in advance for any help
Les00stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #2

here is a photo of some connectors i found in the dash behind the stereo equipment, any of this look familiar for traction control?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2720.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	202900  
Old 06-27-2016, 10:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les00stang View Post
here is a photo of some connectors i found in the dash behind the stereo equipment, any of this look familiar for traction control?
That looks like them just don't know which one is the correct one
Would have to take apart mine to see go a junk yard and find one
Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2016, 12:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
That looks like them just don't know which one is the correct one
Would have to take apart mine to see go a junk yard and find one
Considering the current rash of...well... Mustang incidents, shall we say, I was going to recommend leaving the traction control enabled, doing a NPI swap, adding a CAI, and calling it good!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Considering the current rash of...well... Mustang incidents, shall we say, I was going to recommend leaving the traction control enabled, doing a NPI swap, adding a CAI, and calling it good!
There is no way I would drive with that c*** on I have it disabled in the tune it's all in the driver don't need an assist to control my traction lol

Old 06-28-2016, 03:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I know the traction control on my 05 needs to be disabled every time I start my car. If the new edges are like this you may need to figure this out if you want to keep the current head unit setup you have.
SYMBOLISM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The only way is turned of in the tune or the physical button

Old 06-28-2016, 06:33 AM   #8

Region: Ohio
Quote:
There is no way I would drive with that c*** on I have it disabled in the tune it's all in the driver don't need an assist to control my traction lol

What he said^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMBOLISM View Post
I know the traction control on my 05 needs to be disabled every time I start my car. If the new edges are like this you may need to figure this out if you want to keep the current head unit setup you have.
New Edges are the same way...remove it in the dyno tune
04 Mustang GT - Vortech Supercharger, 3.73's, MGW Short throw shifter, Off-Road H-pipe, Borla Stinger catback, BBK 78mm Throttle Body Intake, Mach 1 Grill, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Raxiom smoked head lights & tail lights, SR Lowering Springs, 18" Rovos & Nittos.
Artvandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
find a replacement button, hook it up, and tuck it away if possible. might need to splice in a wire extension to the connector. then when you wanna have fun, reach under the seat and click the button. when its raining, and you dont want to die at an intersection, leave traction control on.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I didn t need a tune in my 99 just the bama tuner to permenatly turn it off in the settings

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I would like a way to reverse the button. Automatically [off] when starting the car and push for [on]
Old 06-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
find a replacement button, hook it up, and tuck it away if possible. might need to splice in a wire extension to the connector. then when you wanna have fun, reach under the seat and click the button. when its raining, and you dont want to die at an intersection, leave traction control on.
How's when it's raining and dying at an an intersection with traction control left on work? I drive all the time 100% off rain intersections you name it I think it's more dangerous leaving it on for instance if I need to quickly get out of the way well at least I'm in control and not the computer dumbing my car down cutting fuel and air but on that note if you can't handle your car then you should probably leave it on lol

Old 06-28-2016, 11:09 PM   #13

all great feedback, thanks all! i would like to have the option to turn on/off. BUT, while we are on the topic of tuners, whats the best for these cars? i see postings in here about Edge (not the worlds biggest fan of the Edge products, had some issues with their programming in the past in other vehicles). also see the "bama" tuner mentioned (not familiar with that one at all) and i've heard the diablosport predator works well. anyone willing to chime in with their opinion/experiences?
Old 06-29-2016, 04:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How's when it's raining and dying at an an intersection with traction control left on work? I drive all the time 100% off rain intersections you name it I think it's more dangerous leaving it on for instance if I need to quickly get out of the way well at least I'm in control and not the computer dumbing my car down cutting fuel and air but on that note if you can't handle your car then you should probably leave it on lol

I should have added "when you have a worn suspension and cheap tires" I keep forgetting not everyone is in that boat. But pretty soon I will have new tires and control arms, so maybe I'll be in the t/c off club

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-29-2016, 06:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I should have added "when you have a worn suspension and cheap tires" I keep forgetting not everyone is in that boat. But pretty soon I will have new tires and control arms, so maybe I'll be in the t/c off club

Yeah true that if your suspension is up to par and good rubber then it's all good but still that doesn't mean some shouldn't be turning it off not everyone can control their car or knows how to

Old 06-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMBOLISM View Post
I would like a way to reverse the button. Automatically [off] when starting the car and push for [on]
My traction control stays off until I press the button to engage it.

If I engage traction control it stays engaged until I press the button.

It doesn't matter how many times I start the car, the configuration is always in the state I left it in.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have a bone stock suspension, and I am basically rolling on slicks

I just leave traction control on for now.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #18

is there a difference in the pre and post 2000 cars? i've been shopping online and some vendors are specifying 01-04, some 96-00 and others 96-04. from the prices i see for new switches through some sites, not sure I'm down to pay 30 bucks for a used one vs 38 or so for a new one. thinking i may just call the Ford dealer tomorrow and price one
Old 06-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The center connector should be for traction control.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
The way it sounds, some don't realize the difference between Traction control system (TCS) and the Electronic stability control (ESC), or just use the term "Traction Control" instead of Ford's term, "AdvanceTrac_System".

Traction control applies the rear brakes and some times cuts power when one or more of the rear wheels start spinning due to snow, ice, or whatever.

Stability Control, controls all 4 brakes when lateral skids or slides are detected, and may apply the brake to only one or more wheels front or back. Generally speaking, "ESC intervenes only when it detects a probable loss of steering control, i.e. when the vehicle is not going where the driver is steering".

So in other words, you can turn off Traction Control and leave Stability control on, if you so desire. (On newer systems.)
I would venture a guess that if the back tires started spinning with traction control OFF, Stability Control would not intervene if the car stayed straight. Just my guess!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
The way it sounds, some don't realize the difference between Traction control system (TCS) and the Electronic stability control (ESC), or just use the term "Traction Control" instead of Ford's term, "AdvanceTrac_System".

Traction control applies the rear brakes and some times cuts power when one or more of the rear wheels start spinning due to snow, ice, or whatever.

Stability Control, controls all 4 brakes when lateral skids or slides are detected, and may apply the brake to only one or more wheels front or back. Generally speaking, "ESC intervenes only when it detects a probable loss of steering control, i.e. when the vehicle is not going where the driver is steering".

So in other words, you can turn off Traction Control and leave Stability control on, if you so desire. (On newer systems.)

I would venture a guess that if the back tires started spinning with traction control OFF, Stability Control would not intervene if the car stayed straight. Just my guess!

Nice info. I'm hope my car doesn't have stability control too.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
is there a difference in the pre and post 2000 cars? i've been shopping online and some vendors are specifying 01-04, some 96-00 and others 96-04. from the prices i see for new switches through some sites, not sure I'm down to pay 30 bucks for a used one vs 38 or so for a new one. thinking i may just call the Ford dealer tomorrow and price one
There is a difference in the switch locations in those years. It has to do with the stereo head unit taking up more space on the earlier New Edges.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:17 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've heard that this switch/system in prone to failure. Now that could just be from people abusing it.
I would not recommend getting a tune to tune it out, it is a very nice feature especially in the rain. The tune just makes it easier to slide on corners anyway.
Unfortunately, I do not know how to diagnose the problem. It should be always on until the switch is pushed. Are you saying there is no button? If so,I would start by checking where the switch should be and seeing if the previous owner simply unplugged and removed it. I believe the location of the switch changed from on the center console to below the radio in late '01(but I'm not sure). I know for sure my buddies '97 is set-up differently from my other buddies '01 and my '04.

Sent from my LGL22C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sadie- '04 GT Auto- RMR#4837, 4-Point-SEXY
04beautyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post

The 04-earlier Mustangs don't have stability control. As a matter of fact, traction control was an option, and not all of the cars have it.

Somehow, many of us have been able to maintain control of our "beasts" without any intervention from the electronics.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:45 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Check out www.sctflash.com

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:07 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

If you wanna test it, then wet the ground and your tires in a safe area. Use soap if you need to. Get the rear wheels and ground wet. Rev a but and just take off fast. If your tires slide and you fishtail before taking off, you successfully lost traction. If that happened and the car shook a bit like you let go of the gas pedal and a green light came on the dash, you have traction control enabled.

---------- Post added at 05:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 AM ----------

Quote:
If you wanna test it, then wet the ground and your tires in a safe area. Use soap if you need to. Get the rear wheels and ground wet. Rev a but and just take off fast. If your tires slide and you fishtail before taking off, you successfully lost traction. If that happened and the car shook a bit like you let go of the gas pedal and a green light came on the dash, you have traction control enabled.

Oh and if you wreck your car because you aren't in a wide open area to test this, I'm not responsible

Old 06-30-2016, 09:37 PM   #27

Quote:

---------- Post added at 05:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 AM ----------

Oh and if you wreck your car because you aren't in a wide open area to test this, I'm not responsible

i can get on it hard from a dead stop and the tires spin (briefly) and then i can feel it kinda cut the engine back and the car hooks and goes. there are no flashing lights on the dash when this happens. i was wondering if all GT's had the traction control switch or if it was an option. does anyone know?

I've used the SCT Flash before on other vehicles. actually have one on my '10 Denali pickup now. not as effective on the GM products as they are on the Fords but i got it for a bargain. helps with fuel economy and some on the power. do they perform well on the GT Mustangs?
Old 06-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i can get on it hard from a dead stop and the tires spin (briefly) and then i can feel it kinda cut the engine back and the car hooks and goes. there are no flashing lights on the dash when this happens. i was wondering if all GT's had the traction control switch or if it was an option. does anyone know?

I've used the SCT Flash before on other vehicles. actually have one on my '10 Denali pickup now. not as effective on the GM products as they are on the Fords but i got it for a bargain. helps with fuel economy and some on the power. do they perform well on the GT Mustangs?
If there is no green light in the image of a wheel and tire traction control is not on, not engaged due to everything staying in line, or the bulb is blown.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Traction control was an option. I believe that the majority of the cars came from the factory with it already installed though.
The "spinning tire" symbol on the instrument cluster should illuminate when the traction control is triggered due to a loss of traction. If it does not light up, it is likely that the TC is either not functioning, or the car is not equipped with it.

A good tune is by far the best bolt on mod that you can do to these cars.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:24 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Traction control was an option. I believe that the majority of the cars came from the factory with it already installed though.
The "spinning tire" symbol on the instrument cluster should illuminate when the traction control is triggered due to a loss of traction. If it does not light up, it is likely that the TC is either not functioning, or the car is not equipped with it.

A good tune is by far the best bolt on mod that you can do to these cars.
I thought all GTs came with traction control.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I thought all GTs came with traction control.

Nope.
But many came equipped with it from the factory.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:53 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

ABS was part of the traction control system, so it was a very popular option. That is probably why so many cars have it... The ABS! The entire system sucks, in my opinion.
I believe that the GT "Premium Package" came with ABS/Traction control included, but you could order a car in any configuration.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I can't stand TC !!! Almost died from it multiple times, often when fishtailing, you need to apply gas (and NO brake) to correct it, TC doesn't allow this, in the rain, even worse. Just grab a Bama tuner and tune it out, done

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:

Check out your owners manual.
If you don't have one, you can download a copy here.

Ford Mustang Owners Manuals - JustGiveMeTheDamnManual.com
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #35

Region: Colorado
You can have it turned off in the tune or like me and not have the sensors hooked up at all to know when there is wheel spin!!

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
sigmanx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT