MSD Blaster Coil-On-Plug Ignition Coil! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
MSD Blaster Coil-On-Plug Ignition Coil!

Anyone out there running these coils in their Mustang? Looking for feedback and/or reviews on them. My car has 128,000 and is running fine but I am going to change the plugs and figured that I might as well switch to these since they claim better spark, fuel economy, etc! Are they worth it? I am looking at the NGK G-Power plugs by the way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MSD Coil Kit.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	202942  
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The general consensus here will be to rebuild and use the OEM Coils.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Oem all the way don't waste your money

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I repeat. Do not buy those. I had them less than a month and one of the boot ripped/torn causing a misfire. Replaced all msd coils with oem Motorcraft and it runs soooo much better.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I put MSD wires on a Chevy truck I had some several years ago. Ran fine for a few weeks and started misfiring. One of the boots split and was arching fire all over the place. I'm not a big MSD fan personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
0440thgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

what was the common acronym? Most suddenly die? or Might Suddenly Die?
Old 06-29-2016, 10:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The second one

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
what was the common acronym? Most suddenly die? or Might Suddenly Die?
My Spark Died.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Wow! All negative reviews...I would not have guessed that! Thanks guys! Any spark plug tips? Like I said earlier I have my eye on the NGK G-Power Iridium plugs.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-29-2016, 11:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Rebuild cops like other said, order from Rockauto with the forum discount of 6%. Just use Motorcraft plugs too, go OEM the parts are better in this case with the COPs and the plus. The NGK would be fine but not worth the money for the snakeoil

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0440thgt View Post
I put MSD wires on a Chevy truck I had some several years ago. Ran fine for a few weeks and started misfiring. One of the boots split and was arching fire all over the place. I'm not a big MSD fan personally.

I had a set of MSD wires on my truck for over 300k miles. They were purchased in the mid 1990's though.
I've noticed a steady decline in the quality of parts that companies such as MSD and Accel have been selling, over the past couple of decades. I guess that they can make more money peddling cheap Chinese garbage, than they did when they were having their mediocre parts manufactured more "locally".
Old 06-29-2016, 11:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Wow! All negative reviews...I would not have guessed that! Thanks guys! Any spark plug tips? Like I said earlier I have my eye on the NGK G-Power Iridium plugs.

The stock Motorcraft spark plugs will work fine.
There is no need for anything fancy unless you are pushing a lot of boost.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
I have those and have had Absolutely NO problem with them at all, for me they are Flawless, car runs better, more responsive etc. My vote is go with them.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
I have those and have had Absolutely NO problem with them at all, for me they are Flawless, car runs better, more responsive etc. My vote is go with them.
Lol.
You have a hell of a lot more than those coils to make your engine seem more responsive!

I'll bet that if we did a "blind" test, and swapped between the MSD and Motorcraft coils on your car, that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference which coils were installed on your car.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:16 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I've got MSD on my car and have zero problems!.. I've used Moto Blue, they were decent!.. And Accell, they ended up being total crap!.. If you don't have problems with your stockers, then no need to replace!.. One of my stock coils completely fouled out, that's why I changed them!..

Sent from the One and Only ME!..🍻
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:32 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
I've got MSD on my car and have zero problems!.. I've used Moto Blue, they were decent!.. And Accell, they ended up being total crap!.. If you don't have problems with your stockers, then no need to replace!.. One of my stock coils completely fouled out, that's why I changed them!..

In your case, I would bet that you did indeed notice an improvement in the way that the engine ran.
There is no difference in the performance of aftermarket coils compared to OEM. The only seemingly "advantage" to using aftermarket coils is that they are typically less expensive than OEM coils... They are also typically much less reliable than OEM.

Here's an article about ignition components written by CliffyK.
http://www.blog.paladinmicro.com/arc.../entry_41.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-30-2016, 01:58 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
In your case, I would bet that you did indeed notice an improvement in the way that the engine ran.
There is no difference in the performance of aftermarket coils compared to OEM. The only seemingly "advantage" to using aftermarket coils is that they are typically less expensive than OEM coils... They are also typically much less reliable than OEM.

Well I never really said I noticed an improvement with the MSD!.. Just that I've had them in for over 2 years and zero issues!.. My car is my DD year round here in MI too!.. It's also my Show Car and Track Toy!.. When I'm able to!.. 😏

Old 06-30-2016, 02:41 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:

Do you have Cliffy's site saved in your favorites? I swear I can never remember the name of it until you post up a link
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:48 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

No issues with my car at the moment but with 128,000 miles I was figuring that it was time to change the wires and plugs (preventive maintenance)! From the sound of the advice here it seems best to go OEM and call it a day...no major advantage with aftermarket and a higher possibility of failure! The NGK plugs are $3.50 a piece so that isn't breaking the bank! Thanks for all of the info!

Old 06-30-2016, 05:01 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Accell and msd coils aren't really complete crap. And if you change worn old 12 year old motorcraft for fresh new product, you will probably notice a difference. But brand new for brand new, the motorcraft will be unnoticeably better, and have much higher odds of lasting way longer. Like another 10 years vs a 2 month to 2 year range.

As for plugs, ngk makes a good quality plug. Oem motorcraft were designed for our engine to ford's spec. But ngk also designed theirs to meet our oem specs. You will be fine with autolite, ngk, and motorcraft. Preferably motorcraft in almost any situation though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
$30 COP rebuild kit, Autolite or Motorcraft copper plugs. Do plugs and COP rebuild every 30k miles. Done. Don't overthink and do yourself a favor and don't believe anything you see advertised until you actually fact check (which you did). There really isn't much you can do for more power to these cars with bolt ons besides exhaust and a tune.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:51 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Hey Scotty - do you have a link for a rebuild kit on the COPs? I'd like to check that out.

0440thgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:32 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Same here on the rebuild kit Scotty...would love a link! I am the second owner of my car and I usually change out all of the fluids and such when I buy a used car but I work overseas and don't get home much so I am taking this opportunity to gain some peace of mind.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Well I never really said I noticed an improvement with the MSD!.. Just that I've had them in for over 2 years and zero issues!.. My car is my DD year round here in MI too!.. It's also my Show Car and Track Toy!.. When I'm able to!.. 😏

I know that you didn't say that.
I was trying to use your experience as an example of how swapping to an aftermarket part may give the impression of an improvement in performance. But in reality, it was the loss of performance from a failed part that made it seem like there was an improvement when the new aftermarket part was installed.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Do you have Cliffy's site saved in your favorites? I swear I can never remember the name of it until you post up a link
Lol.
No. I don't. But probably should.
I've gotten to where I remember the name most of the time. But I've had to Google his name, and the word "Mustang", plenty of times in the past, and search around a bit to find it.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #26

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Lol.
You have a hell of a lot more than those coils to make your engine seem more responsive!

I'll bet that if we did a "blind" test, and swapped between the MSD and Motorcraft coils on your car, that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference which coils were installed on your car.
I have them on mine and while responsiveness didn't seem to change it did run smoother.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
sigmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know that you didn't say that.

I was trying to use your experience as an example of how swapping to an aftermarket part may give the impression of an improvement in performance. But in reality, it was the loss of performance from a failed part that made it seem like there was an improvement when the new aftermarket part was installed.

Ok. I got ya!..

Old 06-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

When scotty refers to cop rebuild kit, he's talking about replacement coil boots. The rubber piece with the metal spring and rod inside that connects the plug to the coil.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #29

I have 2000 mustang gt I bought new and added a paxton novi 2000 in 2007.My mechanic/tuner recommended msd coils and I have been using them since 2007 with no prolems other than replacing boots about 2 years ago.I have been using ngk plugs since my novi install with with good results.I am not saying I made extra horsepower with these parts,just that I hear these parts are trash from people that never used them.
joe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:43 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Search DG508 boot and spring on amazon.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT